1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mobile Linux at 23 percent by 2013

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

As long as phone makers and providers allow a choice between platform (Windows/Linux) i don't see it being such a problem.

Sam

3. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

When you see machines like the new MSI wind for $399 with Linux or $499 with Windows XP (and a smaller Hard Drive for the XP version) then there is no wonder people will consider Linux.

These days, a decent Linux install like Ubuntu does everything that most users want... if you mean surf, email, documents in open office, instant messaging, and presentation.

If you want games... then you will be sorely disappointed with the power of the on board GPU's in these machines anyway.

As for mobile phones... I think Linux is currently too bloated for mobiles. So is the Windows Mobile variant too right now.

The only company who has the right ticks in the right boxes is Apple with its outstanding portable OSX (iPhone OS), but will they capitalise on it and release a netbook/mini note book of their own running such as OS ? Maybe... but I doubt I will be able to afford it... and the macbook air doesnt count.. too big.

On another note - Nvidia's new Tegra platform looks like an amazing platform for mini note books and especially phones... if the software gets written to support it.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I never seen a Linux powered phone before, but they can make it as bloated as they want... Linux is about choice ;)

Tags: Add Tags