1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding the PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NOMIS, 30 Nov 2004.

1. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

How dangerous is it to take the cover off of the PSU and paint it, and to put a window(or 2) in it?

I mean, surely just taking the metal off and leaving the actual components somewhere out of the way while you do it would not be a hassle? How dangerous is it!?!?

Are the components inside it screwed to the metal? Or are they on some sort of board or something that is screwed to the metal cover? Also, would it be safer if you wore like rubber/electrician type gloves when you were pulling it apart :)?

Cheers!

2. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

the compunet's are not connected to metal!!!!! :duh:

3. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

4. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

You sure that's the right thread? Looks like a project log to me :eyebrow:

Will discharging the capacitators take away the risk of electric shock? Or lessen the power of it or what?

5. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Maybe this thread better demonstrates why we should discharge the Capacitors in our power supplies. :D

6. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Yes, it's one of my projects, and if you take a look you'll see a bare PSU.

All you have to do is discharge the capacitors, that's the only risky part.

7. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I've painted many PSU's, you can safely take off the Top cover with out even having to touch anything. The bottom part is a little more difficult, as the PSU pcb is screwed to it, along with the fan. Discharging the caps is always a good idea.

8. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Okay so it is easy to take the top off then, but not the bottom. Does discharging the capacitators mean you can touch anything and there is no risk?

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

i searched your proj. log (nice mod, btw :thumb: ) and couldnt find how to discharge the caps. which post is it in?
    thanks

Z

10. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Amazing what a quick search turns up. :thumb:

11. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

You can take away the cover as well as the bottom part of the PSU.
    The only complicated part about removing the bottom part of the PSU is that you'll have to desolder the cables that go to the AC connector and then when everything is done you'll have to solder everything back, it's still an easy task.

As Shadowspawn, use the Search option. ;)

12. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

To discharge the caps , just run the ps with a fan plugged in a 4 pin molex and unplug the ps from the wall outlet the fan will spin for a second after the unplug, draining the caps and making it perfectly safe to play inside :thumb:

For the non beleivers, this pic was taken right after i unscrewed the corner screws

[​IMG]

13. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Ahhh cheers for that dude, so basically the caps just hold some of the electricity in them, even though it is not turned on/running? But turning it on with the fan they use oup that electricity in the fan? Sweet, thanks for that.

So once the fan has stopped they have been discharged?

14. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Basically, they're like little storage and the fan uses it up till it's all gone that's why i can stick my fingers anywhere in the PSU after that.

And imo the electrocution thing with a PC psu is highly exagerated,of course you have to be careful around plugged anything but let's face it , a psu is plugged into 110V (on my side of the pond lol) and delivers 12V, there's no voltage multiplicator in there like in those stigner sticks for cows so basically the highest jolt you ever going to get is 110V "IF" you leave it plugged in and play in it.

15. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the help dude, one more question now, is it safe to make a window in the psu cover, the same as you would with a side panel? Using double sided tape to stick it in and just your average plexiglass/perspex stuff?

Would this cause problems?

Thanks for all your help !

16. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

to discharge the caps.. i was told this very simple way.. take the plug out.. and turn on your pc..

i did it, and my pc actually went on for about a second.. not even plugged in.. its an antec truepower 550W, so i imagine it would have quite a kick if i got shocked

hmm, psu's get very hot, so double sided tape might just end up... melting.. consider a few screws

17. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Yes, it is safe to make a window...no, I would not use doublesided tape.
    I like to use GOOP ( in all of it's many varieties) which is a fast curing silicon adhesive to install windows.
    Just be sure there is no need to remove the plexi...GOOP is quite tenacious when used on a large surface area.

18. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah I never thought about the heat, thanks for that. Yeah I could use silicon we got lying around here, or I will just use screws. Thanks for that advice:thumb: