1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhAntoMAMD, 20 Dec 2011.

1. PhAntoMAMD

PhAntoMAMD What's a Dremel?

Ok first post here so be gentle with me! Busy putting together a new build and have all the parts decided on until I came across a motherboard that was slightly cheaper than my original option but with the same feature set. And before I go ahead, i am letting you know now that I am going for an AMD build, so please kindly do not suggest an Intel solution!

I am stuck between the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX:
    Product Link

or the Asrock 990FX Extreme3:
    Product Link

Hopefully someone can give me a clear winner answer here, and thank you in advance!

2. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

The ASROCK takes 2100mhz overclocked memory, could that be only advantage? I would search this site for reviews on each.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The Asus is better if you're Overclocking, the Sabertooth's brutal number of thermal sensors make it ideal for keeping an eye on stuff.

Are you seriously going for an FX series cpu, though?

4. PhAntoMAMD

Yup believe it or not I am getting the FX 8120. Nothing against Intel, its just that I have always run AMD on my systems, and I have nothing to complain about, so sticking with the tried and trusted! Mixed answers there, so let me ask this then, is the Asus Sabertooth worth the £119 price tag over the Asrock Extreme3 that is currently going for £92?

Or if you think there are better boards for the £100 - £120 price range let me know!

5. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

HA! you couldnt help but question the FX could you!?

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Not after my own mistake, no.

7. PhAntoMAMD

Ok, so I know I was pretty adament on the AMD FX chip, but after spending all of yesterday reading horror stories of the AMD Bulldozer chip, I have decided to fork out the extra for the Intel route!

So will instead be getting the i5 2500K and an ASUS P8Z68-V Motherboard