1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI And ASRock Detail Motherboards Capable Of Baseclock Overclocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Dec 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

How does performance compare between multiplier overclocking and baseclock overclocking, or is there no actual difference? If you overclock a 3.7GHz chip to 4.4GHz using both methods, will you see any difference?

Also, am I right in thinking that baseclock overclocking will require faster RAM?

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

There is probably absolutely no difference and you will not require faster RAM. You just select a different RAM divider that suits your needs. :)

4. TheMadDutchDude

Oops. ;)

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, that's how I do it with my trusty E8500 :D Wasn't sure if that's still the way to go these days given that most overclocking seems to be with multipliers rather than baseclocks these days :D

6. TheMadDutchDude

Yes sir, it's still the same principle. :)

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I haven't looked hard for other results so I have so far only seen the i3-6100 mentioned which is a dual core chip. The real question is can an i5-6400 and an i7-6700 match their respective 'K' models?

If you already have bought one of the cheaper chips then this is all good news for you but as a new buyer... I am not so sure it is worth the saving (approx £50 and £70) and the risk?

However, again as a new buyer, the main thing that would make me think twice is that Skylake is due a refresh soon which may gain even better performance by default while also bringing this method of overclocking to an end and then there is Canonlake due not long after...

I am looking to build a new system and for the most part, I have always had a clear idea of what I wanted to buy, but right now I believe the waters have never been muddier and so I am happy to wait further. Especially as I may be able to buy some pretty sweet Haswell based products come January in the second hand market for very good prices.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you have an unlocked chip you're not going to see a benefit, but for those without (expensive) K series then your multi options will be limited to mid-high 30s. So you will need base-clock to push over 4G.

Skylake isn't due for refresh until around this time next year, with another 14nm chip. The platform won't change significantly for another ~2 years.

Although I agree, that given a i5-6400 vs EOL 4690K - I'd still take the Haswell unless I absolutely needed M.2 support. I'm dying to see a round-up of Haswell/Sandy/Ivy/Skylake - OC vs non-OC and Haswell $ vs Skylake $. I haven't seen anyone commit to it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2015
  9. TheMadDutchDude

Why would you take a 4690K over a newer system if they are at the same (or darn close) price point? Seems illogical.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Higher, easier OC and practically the same features. You can still use C-States with K series OCing.

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I have a question... The non-K i5 is a 65W chip while the K is 95W... If the same OC is achievable are you better off with the non-K chip as 1: it is cheaper and 2: it has a lower power draw?

Tags: Add Tags