1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 6 Aug 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Jesus, that thing's a monster. I'm so used to seeing these cards just raise the graphs by a couple points here and there that this took me completely by surprise. The power consumption's a tad on the silly side though.

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

MSi do put out consistently nice stuff when it comes to GPU's and motherboards these days.

Just as good as Asus in every department and usually around 10% cheaper. Before going to my current Asus Strix 970's, I had the MSi twin frozr Nvidia 760 (on Bit-Techs recommendation BTW) and it was a lovely cool running card that easily gave a 15% or so overclock and TBH I regret selling it as it would have been a great card for a HTPC.

If I were to upgrade to a 980Ti, it would be to one of these MSi variants without a doubt.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd like to see how it fares against the Zotac Amp! Extreme.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Ouch that power consumption, and i thought the MSI 390s were bad. Is there some reason MSI seem to pull more watts than the others e.g. worse components? Die shrinks can't come soon enough it seems.

6. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

Would have been nice to see it directly compared to the Titan (as you mention in introduction), and the GTX 970 (what I imagine most people who have recently upgraded are using). Also you should mention the MSI Twin frozr cooler is not as great as it's cracked up to be, there have been numerous issues with their GTX 970 card, which as someone who suffered from those problems, has led me to mistrust them somewhat.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2015
  7. Dogbert666

I am working on getting the 970 in the graphs when possible. As for the Titan X, this card is definitely faster. The difference between 980 Ti and Titan X is so small that even modest overclocks to a 980 Ti will trump the Titan X. Still, I may put it in the graphs at some point, but it's not really a priority. 980 Ti made it all but irrelevant.

8. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Too much power for me but good none the less.

9. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Hey what happened to the 295X2? Why missing from the charts while still the old 290X is there?

10. Dogbert666

The GPU rig and test procedure was totally redone for the Fury X launch. By that point, we no longer had a 295X2 sample (it's common for them to be cycled around various media). I can look at getting one in but it's a pretty hard card to find nowadays, and it's best if we only test cards that we can keep long term. Otherwise, every time there's a new performance enhancing driver update we just have to take it out the charts again! Plus, I'm also working on redoing other test systems for SSDs, coolers etc.

Ideally, we'd have one of every reference card going back a few generations, but unfortunately for various reasons this is hard to maintain!

11. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Bought the GTX 760 and 970, would buy a 980ti as I really like the MSI cards, but don't need it for the 2 x 1080p monitors

Tags: Add Tags