1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Computer Help Fast!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bracketology, 21 Jun 2008.

1. Bracketology

Bracketology What's a Dremel?

Ok, I just build my own PC, I had it running for a few minutes, it booted up, said there was no hard drive (There isn't) then shut off, now whenever i turn the Power supply on, the computer starts running, without my touching the power button, the DVD drive doesn't come out, and the monitor says no signal.

Not to mentions i sliced my hand open trying to make sure all the connections from the power supply were in good.

I'm shaking like crazy, scared to death, and hoping nothing is wrong with the motherboard.

Any ideas? or thoughts?

:waah::waah::waah:

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

What power supply is it? Give us a list of hardware you're using.

3. Bracketology

Ok let me get the list together.

Do you think it could be because of a messed up board? or something that I did?

Can not having all the power cords hooked up fry the board within a few minutes?

Why won't it let me turn the computer on, and instead it just boots up automatically.

Samsung Lightscribe DVD Drive
    2.4GHZ Intel Allendale CPU
    eForce 8600 GT 256MB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128084 (Moterboard)
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 Ram

Last edited: 21 Jun 2008
  4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The most likely culprits are the motherboard and power supply, although you still haven't told us what PSU you're using. If it's a generic unit that came with a case then I would advise you to get rid of it and buy a decent one from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, Tagan).

Try unplugging everything unnecessary from the board. Strip it down to just one stick of RAM, the graphics card, CPU and power supply and see if it boots then. Also make sure you've wired up the front panel pins correctly.

And no, forgetting to plug in all the power cords won't fry the board.

5. Bracketology

Ok thanks. the power supply

SILVERSTONE ST400 400W ATX 12V 2.2 Power Supply 110 - 120V/ 220 - 240V TUV, cUL, FCC - Retail

And i have it set to 115V, which is for the US. So as far as i know everything is set-up right.

So What If the Motherboard touched the case or something? I have the Post to keep it raised off the case, so as far as i know its not that, but what if i had something plugged in wrong, I double and triple checked everything, so Idk what the problem is.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

not usually. it normally just won't boot if you don't have one of the power cords plugged in. it sounds like you've got a dodgy motherboard, but as hitman said check all the front panel connections. also pop out the CMOS battery, leave it alone for 1/2hr and try turning it on again.

7. Bracketology

Ok thanks, I hope its just the motherboard, because I have everything plugged in right,. but the power switch doesn't work, it just turns on by itself. Also, the DVD Drive seems to not be working right, because it doesnt come on? Any suggestions? Is my DVD Drive bad aswell?

8. elneckio

elneckio What's a Dremel?

The first time you booted the machine did you use the switch on the front of the PC or was connecting it to the mains the point at which it powered on ?

I would be tempted to double check you have got the power switch lead from the front of the PC to the motherboard connected correctly.

I would also try disconnecting that lead to see if it stops this constant power up problem you have.

9. Bracketology

I did have it connected and it turned on a few times like that, then it started just booted up by itself every time I connected it to power and turned the PSU switch on.

10. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Sounds like something is hooked up wrong. I'd double/triple check the connections from the front panel to the motherboard, and to be on the safe side, check the power button and reset buttons themselves to make sure they're not stuck. And also like they've been saying.. just strip it down to the very bare minimum. Motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, video card.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Make sure you have the 24pin ATX connector AND the 4-pin connector by the CPU socket.

Make sure you have the power connector properly plugged into the DVD drive - it will ALWAYS respond to the button press when there is power to it. If not, it's buggered :(

12. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Try taking out the Front I/O pins and and see if it automatically boots if not then try booting with a key or screwdriver where the power switch would normally go.

Like the others said try booting with minium components.

Good luck.

13. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

Hmmm you may have accidently knocked something, it does'nt have to be the motherboard. Try reseating the CPU, RAM and Ghix Card. If that don't work have a look if you can test the Mobo with another powersupply . . . My old computer was a doing this a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a faulty motherboard . .

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

try resetting the BIOS. The DVD-problem you have sounds like something i used to fix by a BIOS reset. :)

15. Bracketology

Ok I'll try this when my new hard drive comes in and I get more time to mess with it. Thanks.

Ok, the power is connected good, the right connection, and the first 5-6 times it did come out, then it just stopped comming out when you booted.

I bought from Newegg, so once I norrow it down, I can exchange it for a new one. Ill take everything out as far as i can, reput everything together, and if that doesn't work, I will build it outside of the case, to make sure its toucing nothign, and if that doesn't work, I will return the motherboard and get antoher one.

Ok, thanks, I'll try.

16. Bracketology

It is definatily the motherboard, but i think it may have screwed up the DVD drive now. I unplugged everything expect power to the motherboard, and it still autoboots. DVD Drive wtill won't come out tho,

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

These are signs of shock. Apply pressure to the cut. Lie down with your legs elevated. Cry out for girlfriend or wife. Ham it up like you have the man flu. Use imagination from this point forward, although if you can work in a hot bath and champagne you're doing ok.

18. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Try disconnecting the data cable from the DVD drive but leave the power cable plugged in. Wait for the light to stop blinking, this should only take about a second or two. Will it respond to the button then?

19. Bracketology

yea, it does if you unplug the data cable o_O you know anything about this?

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There is nothing wrong with your motherboard. It simply remembers its last state. lf you didn't turn it off with the power button (but simply switched off the current at the PSU) it will boot itself as soon as you reconnect the juice.

The only way to change that is to switch it off with the power button once it has completed booting, which for some reason it does not manage. It is hanging mid-boot.

My guess is that it does not like the DVD being where it is. My guess is that it is either set to Slave while you have connected it to the IDE Master connection or vice-versa; or it is a Cable Select configured drive (which sets itself to Master or Slave depending on where you connect it to the IDE cable) and you are not using an 80-pin Cable Select IDE cable. Or the IDE cable is broken. Try a different one.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2008