1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build by Virgin builder!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by esxboi37, 5 May 2015.

1. esxboi37

esxboi37 What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys & Girls..

OK here's the thing as it stands right now my only pc I own is a Dell piece of **** that spends more time making me want to throw it threw the window than actually relaxing and spending my down time enjoying the wonders of the 21st century! So I've decide, for the sake of my health I need to upgrade.. Well more precisely Build a new computer!

And as I'm still enjoying the now dated gaming experience of the Xbox360! I have decide to build a something that will allow me to play games like, IL2 Sturmovik battle of Stalingrad and the witcher 3..

I was thinking about £600. And I need something that can play both games and be suitable for Streaming/downloading movies, burning movies, browsing.. ect!

Money is an issue but I'm prepared to save and scrape for a couple of months to save what I need plus I already have £250 towards it and a donated GPU!

Here's what I have in mind so far..

MoBo - Asus Z97-A, USB 3.0 - £115 (or is the Asus Z97 Pro better? :confused:)

CPU - Intel Core i5 (4690K) - £182

Cooling - Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo 120mm - £24

RAM - 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866Mhz - £55.00
    (Later add another 2x 4GB)

PSU - EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 - £90 (I read good reviews about this and it's quite which is an issue)

GPU - EVGA Classified Geforce GTX 570 (Donated)

Case
    - Fractal Design R5 - £80 (Again a good case for quite systems, plus not to flashy.. but I still may go for the windowed version :confused:)

I already have a 23" LG 1080p monitor, and the keyboard/mouse DVD drive's, and the HDD's ect can be taken from my current PC, until I have the money to buy better! plus a copy of Win XP I can use on more than one system.

I will hopefully be able to upgrade the GPU, O.S, & the HDD's to SSD's after a couple more months!

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

Looks ok to me for a budget build.

Personally I would look at getting an AIO cpu cooler, overclock and then save for that GPU. ;)

and dont use XP. Acquire W7 as a minimum IMHO.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It looks like you've done some research :rock:

The build looks to be well thought out and there is no real mistakes.
    There a couple of suggestions I would make

Motherboard:

While a motherboard is a very important part of a pc £117 is quite a chunk of your budget. If you opt for a cheaper board like the MSI Z97 PC Mate/Asus Z97-P you will save yourself 50 quid.

PSU:

The PSU you have picked is great PSU, but again it's quite pricey. You could save £20 by going for a lower wattage version or something like a 550w Cooler Master VS.

A PSU will last longer than a motherboard so it can be looked at as an investment.

Ram:

I would strongly recommend you get lower profile ram, although the ram sticks with taller heat spreaders look great they can be infuriating when using larger coolers. While the Cooler master 212 might be fine with the higher ram now, that doesn't mean you wont change the cooler in the future.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v

Case:

The fractal case is a brilliant case. I've made a rig with the r4 mini before and it's whisper quite.

Most people are going towards smaller cases now rather than full sized ATX. You could have a look at the fractal mini and decide if smaller case would suit you better. The mini is also a small bit cheaper.

Last edited: 6 May 2015
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

First up no point in having a 4690k if you have a GTX 570. Get rid of that GPU. You should get at least £30 for it on eBay, bringing you total budget to £630.

This is what I'd build for £630

[​IMG]

Plus this motherboard: (£50)

[​IMG]

20 posts on Bit Tech will get you free delivery on Scan.

By the way, if you are not building now (as in THIS WEEK) you may as well come back when you are, as prices, offers and components change on a daily basis.

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I've just built a new system last night that that chip and board combo. Cracking board for £50.

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

@OP - are you intending on overclocking?

7. esxboi37

@ 'jinq-sea'

Yeah! It wont be the first thing I do but to have the option there with the 4690K is defiantly a plus..

@ Jrs77
    The RAM has to be 8GB's minimum.. for playing the new IL2 Sturmoviks WWII Flight sim game!! So 2x 2gb wont cut it!

Also I can get the 4690K Delivered for £180 so isn't the extra power from the oc capability worth the extra £20?

@ Parge
    Do you think that the 1600 over 1866 or 2400mhz ram is better? as I multi-task a lot!? (for example i have10+ tabs open 2 of which are streaming films right now) I have a habit of having several windows open at the same time and doing t 2-3 things simultaneously.. pretty much constantly! Which my current computer can't handle, and is the main reason I end up wanting to take a baseball bat to it more often than not! So I was thinking that 1866mhz would be the least I should go for!?

It's gonna be my work horse as well as my gaming computer for the foreseeable.. I wont be looking at replacing/upgrading the main components (except the GPU) for at least 3-5 years!
    So I really want to get the best I can afford, that's futer proof for at least 3years! But without (like you've pointed out) wasting money unnecessarily! I would like to think that o.c is an option I'd like to have..

No I wont be building for at least 2Mth's (unless a buyer comes threw for my Warhammer collection) I was either gonna buy a bit at a time, say every couple of weeks or just save all the money and buy in one go when I have enough saved!

The Mobo I chose wasn't just chosen for the oc capability or because it's got good reviews, It has a really good Bios that's simple to use and easy to oc for newbies like me! Plus it does have great reviews, and looks good! :hip:

@ Murryant

The thing is with psu I spent hours looking around,reading reviews,and deliberating on which one to get, what wattage and so on.. Noise is a huge factor! where I;'m living I need a quite rig, not necessarily silent but quite for sure!

And the reason I kept upping the wattage from 550w to 620w to 650w then 700w.. ect is

1) pairing the right wattage with bronze or gold standard, affordability and Db out put is not easy (plus some like the Corsair CX range use chines capacitors which supposed to be inferior to the Japanese)

2) My issue is with running SLI down the road with at least 1xSSD and 1-2x HDD's, a Blue Ray player, and maybe up to 2x DVD-RW's..

Plus I'm sure the GTX 570 card says I need at least 550w psu to run it!

This is my thinking, buying a futer proof PSU now I wont need to replace it for a long time! and 750w is sure to be enough for what I might want ad in the futer.. But I admit to being unsure on this! I done some calculations with online wattage calc' with asus and another one.. I got results from 550w to 700w? so I thought i should play it safe? If I want to go SLI in a few months wouldn't 700+ be best??

The Asus z97-p was the first one I looked at then after hours more trolling threw reviews and gaming sites ect 9like everything else I started thinking futer proof, buy the best I can afford now! so I don't have to change it later!
    So I came to the Z97-A 3.0 which has great bios easy to use and o.c capability's with the Vengeance pro RAM, and the 4690K CPU.. or the Z97 Pro for £15 more! (I don't need wifi so the the z97 pro wifi is not an issue)

I'm glad you like the case :thumb: I liked it the first time I saw it.. It's not flashy even though it's not cheap, and whisper quite which is perfect plus you can have a window if you want to show of a bit but to much.. :rock: The Fractal case is the one thing I know in my heart is exactly what I want!

The way I was seeing it.. if I buy the best.. Mobo/RAM/CPU/ I can afford now that's my base right there! & Then all I need to do is buy the case that I want, and a better GPU after the build.. & then when I have a few more quid spare!

Everything else like HDD's, SSd's, O/S ect are add ons..

Last edited: 7 May 2015
  8. esxboi37

I have a question about the RAM what would be better.. 2x4gb sticks of 1866, c9 or 2x 8gb sticks of 1600, c9, or 2x 8gb sticks of 2400, c11 ???