1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Left 4 Dead 2 zombies, items unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Sounds better and better indeed.... to abandon L4D1...

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

The boycott is dead and buried.

At the end of the day everybody should be getting ready for HL2EP3, L4D2, CSS2 and Portal 2 ... not forgetting the promised DLC for L4D1.

Those that are still boycotting it are either dumb or kids.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I like the sound of the context sensetive zombies, although one of the glories of L4D was how uncomplicated the badguys were, hopefully they won't over-do it with new zombies.

That said, the Spitter sounds like a very welcome addition. It really is the death of closet camping with that and the charger. No more finding the perfect spot to camp in!

5. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

This is beginning to sound more like a sequal than L4D1.5 now. It will be a shame to split the community and so quickly abandon L4D1 and all the other issues stated in the boycott but at least we should actually be getting a better game.

The spitter sounds like great fun. Looking forward to lobbing a few gobs from the roof tops. A successful hit rendering a corner uncampable will be a welcome adition. Survival mode will actually be difficult. Customizable kit? Now you're talking! Can we have Bill, Zoey, Francis and Louis though please? These four still look a bit crap :p

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

MajorTom, you realise that the boycott started as a knee jerk reaction to people thinking Valve was abandoning L4D1 in favour of fleecing gamers for a L4D franchise cash in?

They aren't abandoning it though. The reality is that Valve are still going to be developing and releasing content for L4D1.

And since the boycott Valve has also said they will see about making L4D2 work with L4D1 (has to be seen to be believed, but there ya go).

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm still not buying it. For one I'm unconvinced that they haven't broken their promise since no one even knows what this L4D1 DLC will contain yet, and secondly there's plenty to keep me entertained this Christmas with Dragon Age, MW2, Brutal Legend, and then later Mass Effect 2. It's not so much that I hold a grudge (I'll be one of the first to pre order any new HL games), but it's going to take an extremely dry period of gaming for me to pick up another multiplayer game at launch.

8. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

well, I never once from the beginning thought about boycotting, IMHO L4D 2 comes at a perfect time with welcome additions. But I agree with some of the comments - the new players are not interesting nor interesting looking, there needs to a solid integration of playing content from both games, and the major fix needs to be a lobby system.
    I play L4D daily with my clan and the absolute most frustrating aspect of L4D is finding any sort of game that doesn't end in RAGE after teh first round. It's getting so bad now that it can take over an hour to find somebody decent to play who won't quit.
    Just get a real lobby where players can search other players instead of joining random lobbys then you'll have a real game. Other than that, the only decent way now is IRC where the risk is being absolutely pwnd by CEVO prozz0rs or meeting bigger nabs than random lobbies. . . .
    VALVE - why can't you make it easy?????

9. sear

sear Guest

I love how people constantly bitch and moan about how the new characters aren't interesting enough, yet the original game used THE MOST OBVIOUS, BLAND, ARCHETYPICICAL CHARACTERS IN HISTORY. Seriously, it has The Biker Dude, the Cute College Chick, the Regular Office Worker, and the Grizzled War Vet. Really ****ing unique, huh? I'll bet you haven't seen those in a movie before! I think the whiners need to change their arguments a bit: they want more generic characters because those are roles they are already familiar with on a vague, superficial level and can identify with them. But playing as a talk radio host, and indeed a black one? Slow down there, partner, we just crossed a line into the unfamiliar!

10. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I don't see how being able to be drawn into an experience more based off of a few familiar attachments is something that should be changed. The argument that the new characters aren't as good is perfectly valid from at least that perspective.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You obviously haven't played it in a while.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/07/17/left-4-dead-patch-adds-new-lobby-system/1

12. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

dude, you obviously didn't read my post :) I play DAILY. Lobby isn't fixed. I'm referring to a system that would enable 4 players to search other 4 player lobby's, an idea that has been bandied about on the Steam forums for oh, I don't know almost from the time the game was released to now???

Now, if Valve can achieve that than we have a real winner here, instead of the random lobby hopping that we have today. And being able to search after a specific map is something that we could do from the beginning (if you added some code to the game) by getting a very similiar CSS lobby search tool. Now Steam has just made it more slick and better integrated in the GUI.

13. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

@AshT Ofcourse I understand the situation and realise the overall perception of the boycott by those who don't understand/agree with it. I also dissagree with those people on a few points. Just because the initial opposition to L4D2 was about abandoning L4D1, doesn't mean their numerous other aguments aren't valid regardless of whether you/everyone agrees with them. That's an argument.

As for the future content that will be released for L4D, the only confirmed details are that 4v4 player matching will be introduced. We won't get any real content now, just UI enhancements as a test for L4D2. Lucky us.

Yes they said they may make both games work together. That would be fantastic.

In short. L4D2 is a game I want. but we were stitched up with L4D1. Ofcourse I'll buy it because it sounds great and all my mates will get it. Can't be left behind now :) (wait this reminds me of FIFA...)

14. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Hehe Fifa is a yearly subscription eh ... you're right, it could be worse.

I wonder if we'll be getting L4D3 nov 2010 ... I may just join up to that boycott again if thats the case ;)

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Meh, the upgrades are just the stuff they locked in L4D1 albeit with very slight balancing. They're not fun to play with in L4D1, and I doubt they'll be fun in L4D2.

I'm still waiting for a demo, but it still doesn't look enticing enough to drop another 50$.

16. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

More people can relate to the original characters. I'm a weekend biker and a office suit and tie guy, almost all the girls I know are college chicks, I have a family and their friends of Vets I've always looked up too. It's a game that takes place in America and it fits a lot of peoples desired profiles here. I always thought it was perfect.

With the new characters Nick (a gambler), Rochelle (cable news reporter), Coach (a coach?), and Ellis (a mechanic) it's much harder for most people to relate I believe. Especially since New Orleans is like another country to the rest of the US.
    But I'm willing to give them a chance.

17. swampfever

swampfever What's a Dremel?

I agree with Nicb and i think that the characters of the game are just fine the way they are and hint re fresh ur computers to hear more comments and get the exact time of the comment posted

18. swampfever

swampfever What's a Dremel?

I would like to see the spitter in action and I would like to see the mudmen run

19. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Since when is 4 days "a while"? Been waiting for a lobby matchmaking system since release, because the lobbies have been increasingly poorly bugged with every update until the last. Lobbies break in new and interesting ways every time Valve adds features to them, and the recent matchmaking update has its own host of stupid bugs as well as carrying some of the more frustrating ones over.

Also, the best lobby system in the world won't stop people from ragequitting merely 10 minutes into a game. As Logan was saying it takes, on average, half an hour to throw together a game at all - and that's with three other friends, meaning I only ever have to fill half a lobby. Once you're in the game, expect to spend another ten minutes per level just waiting for the opposite team to fill if you've had any semblance of a decent round.

L4D2 needs to implement a player ranking system outside of only achievements, one that tracks the number of games played vs. the number of games prematurely quit. It would be a very hard statistic to compile as there are a large number of variables that must be compiled before leaving a game at any point can be designated a "rage" or a legitimate leave.

20. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I'll buy it if it comes for 25€ or less :D L4D user here, and I still don't think it's worth a full game's price. Waiting for more news about L4D2 to decide if I stick to L4D or buy the "RTM" version (L4D2) :p

Tags: Add Tags