1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenemba55, 12 Oct 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Keep in mind that the LG IPS226V is very entry level IPS panel. The 23inch version (LG IPS231P-BN) would be a better choice, if you can afford it. Of course, more you pay, the better the monitor (general rule of thumb), but yea.

Remember something, some people are used to over saturated crappy LCD monitors, so when they switch to something descent, with better colors reproduction, they think that monitor doesn't have vivid colors, but it is infact that they are used to the wrong stuff.
    Also, if they view their own pictures, if they use a crappy digital camera... well that affects as well, on your pictures looks. If your use those crappy digital camera with a plastic lens, and crappy sensor, where picture colors are flat and mundane.. mixed with a monitor that set it's setting to over saturated levels, then yea, they'll appear better.

That is why I tend to skip over user-reviews, and go directly to in-depth review. Example: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_ips231p.htm
    It covers everything and have a look at the back light uniformity (never expect something close to perfection, unless you are willing to spend over 1000-1500$ US/Canadian for a 23/24inch monitor, of course, more your pay, the less price cutting measures are done, and better it is.), they also measure the out of the box colors calibration, monitor responsiveness (because gray-to-gray (G-to-G) measurements is not standardized. As manufacture picks 2 gray colors... and it could be the same (so 1 or 2ms in such case), and not tell you the truth. What we want in reality is a black to white measurement. But these figures are always high (that's the idea), and people think the monitor is bad as they don't understand the difference between picking 2 select gray to gray colors and check the speed of the switch, and selected pure black and pure white.

To read more and understand a bi t more on LCD technologies, have a look at this post:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2776290&postcount=13

Color aside for a moment, what I like about the LG IPS231P, is that the monitor is non-glossy.. like not only the panel itself, but the entire screen. That makes it much harder to see dust, and finger prints. In addition, it doesn't reflect light or your window. So you get to focus more on your game or work.
    It also has a fully adjustable stand, so it will help in getting a nice setup, and avoid putting books or paper under the monitor to increase it's height, which takes room, and ugly... or live with it. In term of performance, it is big faster and better back light uniformity over the 22inch version as well. Of course, it costs more. But if you can afford (or wait until you have a higher budget), then it's definitely worthy investment. A lot of people here on this forum, gamers and alike, have the LG IPS231P, and they enjoy it.

Of course remember something. IPS panels aren't for everyone. If you are a hardcore FPS player, than it might be of a concern due to input lag and slower response time over a TN. Now it doesn't say that you can't play FPS game well. you can.. I do, and everyone with IPS panels do here. No problem. But we play for the fun side, and not for the competition side of thing, so we don't notice anything. But I still like to mention it, because specs wise it is slower. So I don't want anyone to venture into a purcahse a more expensive monitor, and end up with complication in returning it, and worst, pay restock fees, because the monitor isn't fitting their needs properly. So recap, if you are not an FPS hard core player, and play all genre of games, and/or seek for better image quality and/or sharper image and/or wide view angle and/or significantly less back light bleeding, and not affecting colors, than going with an IPS panel is a good choice.

2. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

DUDE, i dont want to be a stick in the mud but i just had a bad experience with the lg ips 226-bn. i sent 2 back because the light bleed was so bad on dark screens. the first one i took back the shop would only swap it if it was classed as faulty. so they tested it and said it suffer unexceptable light bleed. they gave me another. this was worse. so i got my money back. that was last week.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Different display and could have just been a bad batch. Although yes it is worth noting, but I have seen backlight bleed on crappy cheapo nasty displays, and expensive IPS displays. Its a random thing, although I suppose at the very high end there will be less chance of it occurring. You can see it on some NEC displays on tftcentral's reveiws.

What I am trying to say is backlight bleed is not something that will be specific to a display; it's just luck of the draw for the most part.

4. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

yeah i know its not ips thats the problem, Just wanted to warn of that actual lg monitor, i ended up getting a dell u2410f of ebay for £175, but shhhh! dont tell Steve E. :naughty:

On a seperate subject. do you know how long before i can open what you call a thread or a topic for discussion. is it after 10 posts:D

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Do you like your Dell? That's a great price considering its £400+ usually.

6. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

up to now yes, i dont know if you have been reading the thread Samsung LED PX2370. there is some clued up and heated debate going on there. so i dont pretend to know anything i'll just tell you my 1st impressions.

The wieght and quality of the stand was a shock after my last flimsy lg. and the way it clicked in with one push like a magazine in a gun to the monitor with no screw drivers just confirmed it.
    I then went about playing with the adjustability, as ive heard it does great things. i was swinging it all over the place, tilt, up, down, left ,right, potrait, landscape.
    I cant get enough of the potrait while on the net, its so much better not to have to keep scrolling as much.
    and the adjustabilty added to the ips's viewing angle is amazing. i can still see it brilliantly when i'm at daft angles and not even in the room.

I never took any interest in adjustability in reviews before when looking for a monitor.
    I will now and advise everyone else to as well.

It was second hand if you didnt guess!. but the seller said perfect condition, and it was. i feel like i got a real bargin. not a mark on it anywhere.

there are i think 5 touch sensitive buttons at the side for controls. mine can be a bit unsensitive to my touch and not respond greatly. id like to know if others do that or just my second hand one. but i got it set up and now i dont care.:)

I thought standard and game settings on it where a bit dull. So i upped the brightness. and now im happy.

When i figure out how to thread, i'd like to open one on this monitor to see how other people have theres set up, as i dont know much about colours, brightness and contrast. i suppose its prefrence though.

Ive only tried one game on it up to now. looks good but it didnt support 16:10 0r 1920x1200 so it was in a window. nearly full screen but it had the windows bar at the top. I think that can be sorted if you now what your doing though.

and finally, i think it takes my computer longer to load up with the dell. maybe 10 -15 seconds longer as i had a samsung and lg hooked up recently and it didnt take that long.

but sorry, to answer your question. Yes i like it. and thanks for asking:lol:

7. GoodBytes

I am really glad you are enjoy this amazing monitor.
    Just a question of worry. What is the monitor revision? (this is to know if ypu got screwed or got a great deal). To know which revision you have: You see the side USB port (on the left), There is a little rectangle plastic tab. pull it out. A small slide out panel will come out as you pull. On it, it says When the manufacturing date is, and the monitor revision.
    It says "Rev A0#", where # is a number between 0 to 6 (and growing).
    As long as that number isn't 0, you are good.
    If that number is 0 and the manufacture date is BEFORE October 2009, then you might have problems, due to LG manufacturing issues that occurred at that time. It affected all monitors that used LG IPS panels.

The reason why I am worried, is that you talk about the not very sensitive control buttons. And mine (late A00) doesn't have this problem.

Select Adobe RGB, and your won't need to "up the brightness", and enjoy true nicely color fairly accurate colors (for non professional work), or you can use sRGB, which ever you prefer.

My U2410, is set at:
    - 0% brightness (no joke - but in summer, due to less cloudy days and the sun hitting my room a lot more, I set it to 30%)
    - 50% Contrast
    - using Adobe RGB color profile for everything.

That is just a game option, it's usually never a problem. All my games I have 1920x1200 options, and they run in full screen.

LOL, hmm no, I don't think so. I think it just you. Monitor just output that the graphic card sends it. It doesn't slow down or increase computer performance. The only impact a monitor can do is the following points:
    1-> Due to the larger screen resolution, Windows XP and older will use more CPU power to render the interface, so a slower first gen P4, or Atom based CPU, moving windows might be choppy. Windows Vista and up, uses the GPU for the interface and provide no problem, even on a low end GPU. As the resolution is larger then your previous monitor, the graphic cards needs more GPU power to render things, so you need more GPU power to play your games.
    It doesn't mean you need a new GPU. My old trust GTX 260 has no problem playing games at 1920x1200 at high settings not max (but that is because the GPU is really old, I am one of the few that still have this GPU, most people here have fancier graphic cards them mine)

2- The USB hub of the monitor, makes your computer that it is a bootable or have a bootable device, which makes the system BIOS scans for that, and that slows your computer boot time.
    To see if that is the problem, simply disconnect the USB cable from the computer to the monitor, and see if your problem is solved. If not, then it was just you all along. If yes, then set the BIOS to boot from the HDD as first boot device to check.

8. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

it is august 09 rev a00.
    What is the concern of these monitors pre october 2009?

I just put S.T.A.L.K.E.R call of pripyat on. that was fine. 1920x1200.

As for what i thought was a longer wait. it seemed to stay on a black screen with a dash at the top an d a B4 at the bottom for longer. maybe its just me.

9. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

just had a look around to see if i could find the issues you mentioned.
    i found something about "DITHERING" that doesnt occur on the rev 01.
    i looked up dithering and a source said something about when it cant display a colour so it use's 2 to come up with th ebest match.

I read some of your other stuff a few days ago. in it you mention the difference between 6 bit and 8 bit panel and how the 6 bit panel will flip between 2 colours to trick your eyes into thinking that its the correct colour. is this the same thing? Im thinking not because i thought the u2410 was a 8 bit!

10. GoodBytes

Yes and No. The dithering effect when using Adobe RGB and sRGB color profile are doing this:
    [​IMG]
    (exaggeration done to see the impact more visibly)
    Instead of:
    [​IMG]

Also possible issues are:
    [​IMG]
    On a white screen (tint issue)

Another possibility (remember these aren't OR situation, you can have 1 of more of these issues mentioned)
    Sever backlight bleeding (more than what you expect from an IPS panel)

And/or Not working great touch sensitive buttons (that is Dell fault, though... but fixed later one, you can pass this issue under warranty though, as it's form Dell)

And possibly other issues. LG REEEAAAAAAALLLLLLYYY screwed up.

Dell offers a a firmware upgrade, of the U2410 A00 users, which will solve the deterring problem. However, you won't get back your monitor, you'll get back someone else monitor where Dell had the time to do this process (so it will be a revision A00), so you can have: dead pixels, tint issue, and any other issue mentioned above).

Because LG says that: severs back light issue, tint issue, and other issues are "normal" for an IPS panel. No manufacture can perform a recall or even accept a return as LG won't accept it back. This is the first time LG became jerks like that.

I would contact Dell, and complain on how the sensor button don't work properly, and is very hard to navigate in the menu, so that you get a refurbished replacement... hopefully outside of the A00 realm.

When doing a warranty claim, REMEMBER that you keep your monitor WHILE you are waiting for the replacement one, and you can reject the replacement one if you see any issues with it (except dead pixels, unless it's over 6), but you can say, something else. And see for another replacement (of course, you need to return the just received monitor, which Dell always pays).
    Dell pay shipping back and forth for everything. Either they will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label which you can print and tape with transparent tape on the box of the replacement monitor over the old shipping label, put the old busted monitor inside instead and call the carrier for a pick up, Or the pre-paid shipping label will be in the box of the replacement monitor, ready for you to stick over the current shipping label.
    Instructions are provided of course, and you can always call customer service for assistance.

11. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

is there a chance this one has already been updated?

To run through, i am very happy with the backlighting. seems even with no bleed that offends me . (If you remember i'm the guy who sent the two lg ips 226's back because of light bleed recently).

the touch sensitive buttons are a little issue that i can put up with. as once they are set i wont play around much with them. although i have got the nack now of getting them to work with most press's.
    Dont think i can call on the warranty though as its a second monitor?, but in perfect condition.

I got no Dead pixels that i can see anywhere.

as for tinting i just set it up with a full white screen to have a look and i'm struggling to say weather there is a tint or not. i think there is slighty but like i said "im struggling" to really say yes there is a tint.

Yes! i think so. but its so slight to me, that it's not offending me.

As for the dithering, where might you suggest i look for this? would i see grainyness in, for instance, the different tree greens in crysis?

after reading this do you still think i got a lemon or a bargin, or inbetween?
    as for £35 more than i spent on that crappy lg, i got a stable stand, great adjustablity ive never seen before, connectivity thats rare in a entry level ips, a 8 bit panel, 2.5 inch extra screen, good build quality and a higher res and ratio.

I could never afford the u2410 new at £400+. And couldnt justify the £300+ for a second hand one at the moment. But i have to say, im Happy with what im seeing compared to the crap i was suffering with before in my price range. :confused:

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  12. GoodBytes

Here is how you know:
    http://www.helpweaver.com/issue.html
    Look at the picture (using Adobe RGB or sRGB color profile - the only color modes where the issue exists). Do you see a grain effect on it? and if you zoom in with Windows Zoom feature (Win key + [+] key, and Win key + [-] key to zoom out)
    And move your mouse to move around, it will feel that the grain effect is coming from the panel itself (it's not). If you see no grain effect, then your monitor has been updated. If not, then nope.

NOTE: You may need to increase the brightness of your monitor, to compensate the ambient light, to see it more (especially if you are in the day right now... at night... much more visible).

you can transfer the warranty. Contact the saler to know if the warranty has been transferred. Assuming that the original owner purchase the monitor freshly released from the manufacture, based on the month and year you told me, it's still under warranty. The monitor has a total of 3 year warranty.

Contact Dell for help in doing this, if it's not been done and/or the saler doesn't know how to do this.

It actually only happens on dark gray colors. The reason why I showed a green picture and exaggerated the effect, is that I wanted anyone to see it no mater the panel type, and calibration. Most people, on an ordinary panel, will see the picture above I linked, as just black.

I don't know. It depends on you. It sure sucks. What I would do, once the warranty is transferred, I would contact Dell about the touch sensitive button and complain how difficult they are use, and how you can't setup properly your screen every time you do adjustments. They will send you a refurbished one, and that one would most likely be A01 revision and up, as A00 has been out for a while ago. Dell refurbished is usually good. Rarely you'll see a problem, and if you see any issue (including dead pixel, but if it is dead pixel, don't complain on it, complain on something else, like badly calibrated or something) and you just return the faulty one... you still keeping your current one, and wait for another replacement, hopefully that one will have no issue.... IF there is even an issue in the first place.

If you complain about the dithering, most likely you'll end up with A00 revision.

Excellent! Well to be honest, if your don't have the tint issue and several back light being issue, your like me, one of the lucky ones with no issues (I really have 0 tint issue on mine, though.. based on forums late A00 seams to have all issues solved)

The price is great, I don't think you can find a better deal anywhere else. I mean £175... it's practically free for what you get. At worst of the worst... you can spend an hour or two, try and adjusting Custom color profile to match visually Adobe RGB or sRGB, and have your deterring problem solved that way. An easy trick to help you on the calibration, is that you plug another computer via DVI, or HDMI or Display Port (avoid VGA at all costs), and set the amin computer to custom profile, switch input and set the other computer to Adobe RGB or sRGB, and and set side-by-side picture to picture mode, and now start matching both using Windows backgrounds, and on solid red, green, and blue. This will help you accelerate the calibration processes a lot, as you won't have to continuously switch input between AdobeRGB or sRGB to Custom, and see how it compares.

13. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

[QUOTE=GoodBytes;(I really have 0 tint issue on mine, though.. based on forums late A00 seams to have all issues solved)

does this mean that if it was a late model that has all issues solved, that mine wouldnt have the button issue.

or that maybe the button issue is the only problem i may have. and the other issues are solved.

or maybe the buttons were the only issue with my monitor cause this monitor was a lucky one like your 0 tint issue

I understand that its hard to anwer as you havent seen my monitor.
    i'll get intouch with the seller and let you know how it goes.

14. GoodBytes

15. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

WOW minus 40:brrr:

I didnt think id ever get to use that smiley. haha.

I spoke to the guy i got the monitor off, he said he doesnt have the receipt and he didnt register the monitor with dell.

Do you know of any way i could get dell to sort this out for me?

16. GoodBytes

Contact customer service, and see what they have to say. Be sure to mention for a fact that, assuming that monitor has the been purchase from the day of it's manufacture, which is: (mention the date), it it is still under warranty. See what information Dell needs and ask the saller if you don't know them.

If the saler doesn't have a receipt, Dell can find it for him in Dell system.

If you can't get anything, I would try to write a nice, polite, professional, letter directly to Michael Dell, CEO and founder of Dell, to see what can be done. Be sure to include your FULL contact information, Full name, including phone number, address (they'll obviously need it for the warranty transfer) and e-mail (yes even if it's obvious), at the end of the letter.

Be sure to include the full story in how you acquired the monitor, and have the full saler name.

E-mail: http://consumerist.com/2008/11/email-michael-dell.html

17. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

CHEERS goodbytes. ill give it a go, and keep you informed:thumb: ill open a thread once i have done what i can under slyBR1 U2410 AOO

18. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

19. GoodBytes

Don't get the LG IPS236V-PN , get the LG IPS231P-BN instead. Same panel, but nothing glossy and adjustable stand. You lose HDMI that is all.

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I can see why some would choose HDMI over non-glossy bezel and better stand though... so I think its just what the individual wants