1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Nintendo confirms new console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Apr 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Should be interesting

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

'Possibly rivaling' six year old designs?

Given that you can build a PC that rivals them for what, £300, without any kind of economy of scale, I'd hope for Nintendo's sake they'd manage such a 'feat'.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

So they are going to launch a new console in 2012, that is roughly as powerful (maybe a little bit more so) as consoles launched in 2005, and which Nintendo will need to get about 5yrs worth of shelf life from.....

Hmmm...the words Epic Fail come to mind.

6. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Do not be so fast to shoot down the idea that the console will have 5 year old tech in it as the tech in the wii was already old when that came out and that did not stop Nintendo making money from it.

The current consoles have aged well in comparison to older generations and don't need a huge upgrade to make them better - dx11 and more RAM would be a good start.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Its been rumoured that it will be using the same core that's in the HD48xx gpu's. Take into account that consoles are highly optimised this console could have some serious grunt. Once 1080p is hit then any extra horsepower is either wasted or goes toward AA. After all these consoles arn't gonna be played on anything larger. Using the older core also saves quite a bit since the manufacturing process will be mature and also less costly.

8. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

Nintendo took a very successful step back from the "me-too" culture of the spec obsessed competitors. That's what made it so successful. It offered something very different. And it took Sony and MS a while to catch up. Hopefully Nintendo have another ace up their sleeve with this one.

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Rumours about however that Nintendo's next console will be a far more powerful machine than the Wii, possibly rivalling the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in terms of power and graphical grunt.

Can the world's retirees cope with this sort of extreme power.

10. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Hmmmmmmmm........ the words the Wii was blindingly successful come to mind

11. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

I am inclined to disagree somewhat on this. Nintendo didn't so much take a step back, they realised they could not compete toe to toe with their competitors, so instead they re-evaluated the market and took a different approach. They made the console a family console rather than a traditional gamers console with what was considered a unique control approach at the time.

In my book, Nintendo is playing a losing game and has for the moment bided it's time with it's different approach. Something Microsoft and Sony have since picked up on and have begun to follow suit. It's costly to be an innovator as it doesn't take long for competitors to pick up on new ideas and make them their own.

The Wii certainly has it's appeal and though I don't own one personally, I know people that do and have played a few games on theirs and even had some fun along the way. The childlike cartoon style graphics always leave me unimpressed and make me feel like I am living back in the 80's.

Hopefully this new console will bring out something truly original and awe inspiring with not only good gameplay, original titles without the old re-runs and perhaps even some sign of more games with decent graphics than those a 5 year old could draw with a crayon.

12. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Good for them. If it takes the Wii's innovation (compared to the 360 and PS3 which - at launch - were not innovative in the slightest) and combines that with great 1080p graphics (great in console terms), then they should do well.

13. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

The Wii's only innovation was the controller, which now both PS3 and Xbox have versions of on their exsisting consoles. I cant really see any innovation that Nintendo can do that will shift 50m+ consoles like the wii did. Good 3rd party games would be innovative for Nintendo, they've never had it before.

14. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

In my book, Nintendo is playing a losing game and has for the moment bided it's time with it's different approach. Something Microsoft and Sony have since picked up on and have begun to follow suit. It's costly to be an innovator as it doesn't take long for competitors to pick up on new ideas and make them their own.

What do you mean it does'nt take long for competiors to pick up on new ideas, the wii has been out for years ,yet microsoft and sony only realeased their motion sensor devices at the end of last year.

15. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

For me Nintendo has always meant two things, extremely bad graphics and games for 5year olds and i doubt that it will change now. We actually have a wii but only because my wife got it for free through her job and ive given it a try but i was utterly disapointed with all aspects of it. Even my daughter who was 6 at the time played around with it for a few weeks and then it ended up in a closet. As long as Nintendo holds on to their god awful cuteness it will never be for me.

16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Back in 2005 at E3 the Wii controller system still wasn't 100% and they had best part of a year to refine it and get it working before the Wii went on sale at the end of 2006, by the end of 2007 they had outsold their competition with their 7th generation console, compared to Microsoft's 2nd gen and Sony's 3rd gen.

So up until the end of 2007 the Wii was just another console. Sony also released it's Eye Toy in 2007. Microsoft and Sony then went a step further than the original Wii remote and released their Kinect and Move motion sensing technologies. Is 2-3 years R&D, testing, software and driver development really that long a time?

Bearing in mind, the Xbox and PS3 have brought a new technology/peripheral to an existing console. Nintendo did not bring it out for it's Gamecube, it had to bring it out with a whole new console. For it's 8th generation console it's basically doing it again.

Given the Wii's apparent success, why then go on to build a new console and add a new control system instead of expanding the existing platform? The only reason I can think of is that the Wii was not built to last the generations, it was built for the then and now and was built with limitations that require another generation of console in order for Nintendo to continue to survive.

17. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've had the last 3 Nintendo consoles from launch, this time i don't know if i will. Really depends on system specs, now if it was a blu-ray player too it might draw more people in, but i very much doubt it will, or it would have a Blu-ray optical drive but not support films.

By being so different compared to ps3 and 360 that may be why it put more people off. The Wii was a great success but with this new one they should try improving on the more successful features of all 3 current gen machines

18. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

i would probably buy it just to play some mario and mario cart :D

Ive been scouring ebay for n64's for that sole reason

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

The wii was a great success financially but in the end it just ended up gathering dust. There were a few good titles but that's about it.

20. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

LOL at people already talking BS about the console and its specs, nintendo did it with its Wii and it was successful.

yeah, bet a lot of you are the ones who say "its not just about the graphics" yet here you are bashing the new console!

Tags: Add Tags