1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No new Nvidia GPU this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Lots of factors can cause this difference in the timelines.
    1. Most obvious is the timescale. If AMD taped out it's design in February, then 6 months later there's definitely pre-production silicon being tested right now. If Nvidia taped just recently, then yeah, add about 9 months from now to get full production started on this new process.
    2. Design: If AMD's design is more manufacturable than Nvidia's, like how Nvidia's shaders need twice as fast a clock as AMD, then sure, AMD silicon can be brought up faster.
    3. Politics: Neither AMD nor NVidia own TSMC. Is it so unreasonable that AMD has scratched TSMC's back the right way, and they're getting priority to bring up 28nm?

I doubt TSMC is the problem, especially with #1 there. AMD got there first, TSMC won't want to spin much NVidia silicon if they're making good process debug with Southern Islands.

EDIT: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...st_GPU_Designer_with_28nm_Graphics_Chips.html If you doubt AMD has Southern Island silicon

2. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Crysis or crisis? isn't life becoming a bit of a game? The other day, I shot this guy from 40 feet and all I heard was "Headshot!"

I'll get my coat...

3. Lehmann

Lehmann What's a Dremel?

I would be more than happy if current cards just had a die shrink. lower power less heat.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Agreed, it's not like we need much more performance until the next round of consoles anyway..

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This is good news to me, as it means my GTX 580's will still be worth some money when I sell them at the end of the year. (Nice cheap xmas present for someone).

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I believe the name is Kepler, not Keplar. (third paragraph)

I believe it's TSMC, not Nvidia, that has to do most of the nailing, isn't it?

7. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I think a bit longer is OK, i'm running a 6990 with 3 22" x eyefinity setup and even that runs most games at full graphics. It does struggle occasionally but currently I don't see a need for a major jump in graphics power until ultra high res becomes moer popular or the next gen PS4 xBox comes out.

PC graphics cards are so far ahead of consoles it's ridiculous.

8. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

I think it's a good idea for nVidia to take their time. Get it right the first time, no need to repeat the gtx480 ;)

As for me, the gtx600 series will be my next upgrade, if it's gonna be mid 2012 then good, more time to save, and less waste for my current system.

Plus I can't see SLI 460s struggling even with BF3

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

There really isnt a reason to upgrade GPUs anymore.
    You always needed more GPU power to climb from 640x480 to 800x600 to 1024x768 to 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 and finally to 1920x1080. For most, there is no reason to go beyond 1920x1080. Some can go the dual monitor route but they will be a minority.
    And the consolification hasnt helped.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Man, if AMD can push out the 7000 series in time for 28th October they are going to make a wad of cash.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well all I will say about nothing taxing my system is that developers should be utilising the hardware available using, the engines that are currently out there and not just tweaking existing old engines to try and make them look better, and then people with pc's like mine won't be so annoyed about it.

As for the monitor comment, I only run at 1920x1080 because I am yet to find something that offer's a higher resolution with atleast 3 HDMI connection's and VGA connection and also a Scart connection, so that I can use my PC and Xbox as well as Tivo box, then also use my laptop on it when I just want to watch something and decide it's not worth turning my pc on for it, and also a scart for my DVD Recorder.

12. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I can tell you this instance theres already a few things that will "tax your system". Try 3D for a start (don't call it a fad either, that's not an acceptable excuse) ;)

13. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I raise your speculation and add

The partial truths:

1) AMD will have 28nm product this year - should they decide to release it of course.
    2) Nvidia's 28nm will be a Q1 2012 release.

on a lighter note - I hope these guys can integrate tri-gate manufacturing to their silicon ASAP as even with a 28nm gpu, the top end products will still be hungry and toasty.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

trigate won't solve anything. it'll only increase heat density, meaning harder to cool.

those type of transistors have existed for ages, trigate is only an intel marketing term.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

too bad they can't use intels skip 28 all together =p

16. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

If only they developed some sort of 3-1 HDMI Port adaptor which would allow you to connect 3 devices to a box that would allow easy switching between devices to your monitor......... behold I bring you the future....today!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-3X1-HDMI-S...606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5da083c6

Google is your friend :search:

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I read they they would be easier to cool and generate less heat anyway right? - but I accept that I don't have an in depth knowledge on this subject to comment beyond what I read elsewhere.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

going down in nanometers will always decrease switching power, increase leakage power. meaning unless power gated, idle power usage will not decrease; active power usage will always decrease on each shrink.

trigate is only a marketing jargon used by Intel. nothing special at all.

19. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Reading between the lines what Nvidia's actually saying is "we're not releasing anything until HD 7000 comes out" ... personally I don't think there's any rush for either camp, illustrated by the previous posts crying that nothing taxes their 580, and the fact that my 6950 doesn't sweat even in Eyefinity. Do we REALLY need new cards right now? For gadget-pr0n prurposes only tbh.

20. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Agreed OCJ - we don;t actually need anything more than we have available today, in fact we probably need higher resolution 24-28" monitors to even maximise what we have now.

Tags: Add Tags