1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia may be preparing to purchase Arm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Aug 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I had heard this was already a done thing with a cash+shares deal?

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'm somewhat skeptical, it's just not clear why Nvidia would want ARM. Nvidia's biggest segments are HPC GPUs and gaming GPUs. It's biggest growth sector is autonomous vehicle SoCs.
    Gaming GPUs are unrelated to ARM cores. HPC would only make sense as offering an ARM system host device, but for small volumes of sales it makes little sense to make their own, and has all the drawbacks of ARM in HPC (i.e. nobody wants it).
    Their autonomous vehicle SoCs currently run on ARM host CPUs, but everyone in that space is moving to RISC-V due to the lack of a legacy codebase to support, so that would make more sense to direct (and cash) effort towards.
    Their consumer ARM-based SoCs (Tegra) has basically winnowed down to supplying Nintendo with SoCs for the Switch, and is mostly a financial blip.
    Even Mellanox would make more sense to move over to RISC-V if they wanted to splash out a few tens of billion to reduce licensing costs.
    Owning ARM would be mostly useless for their main sectors, a potential albatross around their neck for their biggest growth sector, and other markets they use ARM licensed cores in would never justify the purchase price.

Unless they just have far too much money and want to outbid someone they dislike to Jensen can buy another leather jacket, I guess.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Who do they have to outbid though?

Other ARM customers like Samsung, Apple etc? I doubt they would get regulatory approval.
    Intel or AMD? The former wouldn't get regulatory approval, the latter doesn't have the cash.

So unless Amazon or MS throw in a rogue bid Nvidia may have surprisingly little competition (thus making ARM a bargain).

Last edited: 3 Aug 2020
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure the vaunted £55billion is a bargain when the 2 biggest customers Apple and Samsung use custom silicon based on ARM designs

ARM has always just sold its designs that’s how it makes money, Nvidia will not want to sell the tech to others so how would Nvidia make it profitable some pretty big unanswered questions

think it would be terrible for mobile phone space under nvidia.

dunno about regulatory approval but Apple and Samsung would be no better than Nvidia.

ARM been neutral is it’s biggest benefit and has helped push the mobile Soc forward

MLyons likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Owning the thousands of patents ARM holds may well be good value for Nvidia, even if regulatory bodies would likely require Nvidia to keep selling licenses in a similar fashion to what ARM is currently doing.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...and it's happened.

Sold at $40bn, which is a nice $8bn profit for Softbank, and nVidia are committing to keeping ARM in Cambridge, with a push into AI as well. It does raise interesting questions around ARM selling into territories like China, now that it's a US company.

Watch this space, I guess.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Begs the question what Dom expects Boris to do about a Japanese company, with headquarters in San Jose, Shengzen and Tokyo as well as Cambridge, that is being bought out by an American company.

As for Nvidia, this make a lot of sense, it's a way into the server market and they don't have to pay any more royalties. I'm sure Apple's planned move to Arm for laptops was a factor too, lot of potential income there both from licensing and efficient integration with Nvidia GPUs going forward.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Demand a leather jacket and a padded brown envelope.

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From my understanding it's not actually done. This could still take 12-18 months to get through regulators. This is just the understanding that NVIDIA wants to buy I think.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Correct, still needs regulatory approval and they could impose conditions rather than outright approving / blocking.

13. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

It's much further than that, it's the agreement of terms. Nvidia want to buy and ARM want to sell, and they have agreed how much and how they envisage it taking place. National regulators can step in but otherwise that's it.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Its at least a year from completion, National Regulators in both the UK and USA will look at this deal. Could easily be september october next year before this gets completion approval. This will take some doing to get approval. ARM Sells alot of its designs to China, USA Currently blocks alot of Technology sales to China. Nvidia been an american company are forced to follow this.

The current expected Approval time is 1 year +

15. fix-the-spade

As I understand it, if you want the jacket you have to beat Jensen in single combat. I don't rate Boris or Dom's chances.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You cannot kill that which does not live.

IamJudd likes this.
  17. fix-the-spade

Dom is not a Dark Judge.

Unless he's the little known fifth horseman Judge Bulls##t.

IamJudd likes this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Will they? They should, but I'm not sure what say the UK has any more.

US regulators, yeah, because Nvidia is a NASDAQ-listed US company. Japanese regulators, sure, because SoftBank is a Tokyo Stock Exchange-listed Japanese company.

UK? Arm Holdings isn't a UK company any more. Sure, its headquarters are here - but it's a wholly-owned subsidiary of SoftBank Group. It's not even traded here - it was de-listed from the LSE (and NASDAQ) following the purchase.

19. DbD

DbD Minimodder

If the UK had wanted to stop ARM ending up in the hands of random foreign companies it needed to have stopped the softbank takeover. On the plus point Nvidia is a rich company, they will probably expand the uk presence not shrink it. Companies work in the uk because we have such good engineers, and ARM is based in Cambridge so it can grab some of the best graduates. Nvidia isn't stupid, they'll be wanting to take full advantage of that.

Fizzban and MLyons like this.
Tags: Add Tags