1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oblivion wins "Ultimate GotY" at Golden Joysticks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Oct 2006.

1. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

QFT. Lara Croft isn't even new this year.

(Except Lego Chewie is better. He rips arms off.)

2. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

GAME best retailer? Pfft ok. High prices and a lot of rude staff make me think otherwise! Not that gamestation deserve it, my local store is like a bloody zoo selling computer games.

Ice

3. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Best retailer would be play.com for me :hehe:

4. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The best retailer thing is a bit bollocks to be honest. There are very few large game retailers left in the UK, GAME might actually be the last, and online it's pretty much down to a choice between Amazon and Play. Also it's not like people buy the same game from two stores on the same day, so there's no meaningful comparisons to be made. Smells to me like the retailer category is in there as a pat on the head to the advertisers who want their name out there, even if only as winners of an effectively one horse race.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah thats what I thought, even with this whole radiant AI stuff, the game just felt dead, it's like the took morrowind, reduced the number of good, interesting quests, then made the world alot bigger.

The graphics arn't really that outstounding, and the combat system, spell system, and character progression are some of the worst I've seen.

I do agree that modding is a big part of a game, the fact it's easily moddable is a plus point, but not a major plus point. Afterall, why should developers get commended for work they havn't done? I made a mod for morrowind, should I get credit for morrowind's awsomeness? No, so why would it work the other way around?

Lol I just noticed AoE III is voted best online game :hehe:

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think these awards are just the industry patting itself on the back.

EA getting anything other than humiliated is a joke.

And as for Oblivion... Well I was a fan of Bethesda, a *big* fan of Morrowind, and a genuine fan of the genre.. but I played Oblivion for a couple of months at the most.

The game is so repetitive (partially due to the fundamentally flawed levelling system) that I lost interest quickly.

If anything it should have won the Biggest Waste of Potential Award along with the Most Hardcore Fans Alienated Award.

Lara Croft? Nintendogs? AoE3? The only winner with *any* cred at all is Pro Evo 5.

I'd love to see the catering equivalent awards (The Golden Syrup awards?) where Pizza Hut wins Best Restaurant, and Ronald McDonald wins Best Chef.

All we need now is Dubya to win the Nobel Peace Prize...

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

For Oblivion all they really needed to do was Update the graphics and AI, give it a new story, then it would have been great.

Tags: Add Tags