1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Parts for old Volvo

Discussion in 'General' started by Computer Gremlin, 25 Jan 2010.

1. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

My 1990 740 Turbo Volvo (B 230F) is starting to show it's age. The pump, exhaust manifold and drivers side headlight assembly need to be replaced but spare parts are hard to find. The rest of the car is in good condition with minimal rust so buying a new car in not worthwhile.

Are their good online part suppliers for Volvo's in the United States and can the exhaust manifold for a Volvo 240 work on a 740 Turbo? I have a summer photo of the Maine coast to as a reward for information.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Tried a local scrap yard? How common is your car in the US? I'm sure there'd be no problems for parts in Europe, but if your car is a bit rare in the US you might struggle.

3. Computer Gremlin

An exporter in Mexico bough up a large amount of new Volvo parts and dealers buy through them when customers want new replacements. The trouble is they have the market cornered and it is very difficult to find spares.

Cumberland Salvage in Maine has used car parts and Volvo Girl has a salvage yard but no longer has ads or lists a phone number. The exhaust manifold will be difficult to find in good but used condition. Parts for the 740 Turbo Volvo are rare finds unless their new.

vlvworld.com has a lot of Volvo parts but I have never bought from them and their website was last updated in 2007. A new exhaust manifold costs $300 from a reliable repair shop. If it isn't replaced the car will fail an inspection later this year.

4. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

well i don't know about the us but here in portugal it's quite easy i being the proud owner of a 740 wagon know a few people that sell parts although mine has the d24t .. on the other end my other car a mazda rx7 fc 1987 it's quite a nightmare for parts ... wanna trade ? lol

good luck , they are very reliable cars mine has more than 1400000 km on the clock and all that i ever changed was the turbo ...

5. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

i drive an '96 volvo 440 2.0i and my exhaust fell off, my left headlight went blind and several other things died on me, but i was always lucky with ebay or skandix, skandix is a german webstore for volvo parts though, but i think you should find some stuff around ebay :)

6. Computer Gremlin

Ebay has a turbocharger with exhaust manifold for sale; it fits my car and is an option. The Volvo 240 has a similar engine design. Tomorrow I will call Cumberland Salvage to check if their exhaust manifold will fit, if not the listing on ebay is next.

Also a fuel pump: "1989 Fuel pump/injector pump Volvo 740 4 cylinder tank mounted, less than 60K miles"

It was just added to Cumberland's Salvage list. Thanks FrooP for the advice on checking ebay. The picture will be ready by Wednesday or Thursday.

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

eBay's your best bet. Alternatively, if you haven't already, have a call round your local 'yards. Loads of Volvos of this era got clunkerized, and the parts you need you'll be able to get off one of those unfortunates no problem.

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

there used to be a "volvo graveyard" near Louisville, KY ... but as my 86' 740 GLE wagon totally died about 3 years ago, i am not positive they are still there ...