1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Party In Red cont'd. Which one?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by NzC, 19 Dec 2007.

1. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I tried to spend some time with the subject from my Party In Red thread.

I can't quite get what I want. I feel that just the beads in the shot creates a lack of contrast or something like that....however when I include something else it just doesn't work. But anyways here is some stuff I shot.

To start with just the beads....clearly something wrong.

[​IMG]

Shot with something else. I tried a number of things to no more success than this.

[​IMG]

So I changed my goal and I like this, but I don't think any of you will. I know the dust is bad....if I decide I want it I will clean the surface and do it again.

[​IMG]

So thats where I am at...

Nick

Last edited: 20 Dec 2007
  2. ajack

ajack rox

I think this has the potential for a pretty good abstract sort of shot with the narrow DOF, but you need to get the surface right. The carpet in the first shots is really distracting. The blue surface looks a lot better but as you said, it's very dusty and would look a lot better if it was cleaned up a bit.

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

That shiny blue is good. The colors match nicely. The reflection adds a good abstract touch.
    Composition: Personally I'd raise the camera a bit when the beads are laid out like that. To me such a horizontal angle calls for the beads to be arranged as a trail the eyes can follow. Don't be afraid that it will look arranged ;)
    And yeah, better dust off that surface :D Oh, and in any case lose or crop away that dark corner. It steals attention for no reason.

By the way I actually quite like the first carpet shot.

4. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

So I did some more shooting...and I am actually happy this time.

First is the finalized blue back shot. I am happy with the focus, placement, and lack of dust! This is a 28-300mm at 300mm, 1/3 sec - f/6.3, ISO 640

[​IMG]

I then decided to switch to another lens. This is my 35mm f/2 AI lens...love this lens.

A close one. 1/20 sec - f/2
    [​IMG]

And some distance, with subtle things around. I like this more than I thought I would. 1/40 sec - f/2
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy.

Now which one for POTM entry??

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I'm torn between #2 and #3.

I think #3 without the bright edge.
    Hacked in PS real fast hope you don't mind:
    [​IMG]

Hmmm looking at it again... It's a tough call because #2 is really good as well... I'm starting to like the focus and dof :)

6. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I really like that new shot. The light is very interesting and the DOF is really cool. Without the bright edge looks good, although it might need a little more PS work, as there's still some bright line left.

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Tags: