1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Photos] Winter shots

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Lynx, 20 Dec 2006.

1. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Its amazing how your mood is affected by the weather and how it affects how you take you photos.

So here are some fairly dark shots from around where I live.

Some very cold trees in my garden:
    [​IMG]

A dreary underpass
    [​IMG]

A spiders web

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Very nice i like the hint of yellow in the last one.

3. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

i love the last one, composition is just a slight bit off, but with careful cropping :thumb: the cobwebs seem just a little too sharp though! what camera settings did you use?

the 3rd one is pristine, the composition is great, and the tone is great. once again though that cobweb seems a little crisp.

the 1st one, while compositionally good, is a little too flat. You'd be surprise how a tiny bit of colour could make that picture darker and more miserable (i think thats what you were going for?)

the 3rd on is the same, although its a bit of a tight crop, and a little flat. suggest keeping some colour, and adjusting its brightness and contrast, and add a little hue!

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Not too bad there. The first photo could have been saved by shooting from a different angle, or using a wide-open aperture to throw the background out of focus. As it is, the tree is entirely lost in the fence pattern. Good tonal range, though.

The second photo doesn't do anything for me. The contrast is too dull, and there isn't any particularly strong subject. Nothing really stands out as a center of interest.

The third one is pretty nice, and the exposure is pretty darn good. I would suggest standing a little higher to get the entire web area with the dark concrete, and then cropping out the white space on top. Frame the web with the pipes and you've got a winner.

The last one is very nice, too. I like the contrast between the dark metal and the shiny web. In my opinion, the small bit of color doesn't really add anything to the photo, so you could probably take the saturation all the way down. You might also try taking the levels down just a bit, get some nice, dark blacks in the deep shadow areas.

Out of the set, I like the spider web shots the best!

-monkey

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Winter hasn't really arrived where I am yet. It's been windy as hell, and cold, but no ice, no frost, no snow... nothing. It was still 8C yesterday... in December!! No chance of a white Xmas here... or any nice wintery shots. I'm off for 4 days after today as well, and was actually going to go out and take some shots THAT WERE'NT FOR WORK!! Fat chance.... :hehe:

6. overdosedelusion

Tell me about it, im 30 down the road in merry old lytham. No snow, no frost, just freezing cold, wet, and windy. Although it has been a little foggy =)

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

OMG you're only down the road!

8. overdosedelusion

oh chimpanzee that! where abouts are you

(apologies if i've h-jacked this thread lol)

9. Green Apple

Green Apple What's a Dremel?

ooo i am jealous! spiderwebs are beautiful this time of year and i havent been able to get out.

lovely photos though