1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pressure for investigation into Wi-Fi health risks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Apr 2007.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Time to get my Halo suit and fly to the moon away from all the techno crap and crazy studies.

2. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

Everyone, I am sad to announce that I no longer feel safe in this Wi-Fi world. I fear this is the last time I will be using my wireless abacus to input any form of message to you folks.

3. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

I think that the problem with things like this is that it's very easy for someone to say they did 'conclusive' testing when infact it's very difficult to perform reliable testing. I'm sure by doing things like measuring sick days of people who use wireless or checking for certain symptons, you could produce any results you like. Also, as someone mentioned, there has hardly been any astounding results from research about mobile phones causing health problems. Confidence inspiring?

Presenting things poorly in a public light doesn't help either. It wouldn't suprise me that a few people who work with wireless start becoming ill more often, after becoming aware that wireless is being investigated. It can be very easy to actually create a problem with a situation like this.

Does this mean that all high frequency signals will have to be checked? TV? Radio? Sattelite? Somehow, I don't think so. How often do people get warned that they live near deposits of rocks containing Radon? I'm sure that would be much more concerning to most people! I'm not saying that high frequency broadcasts shouldn't be checked, but there's a line between reasonable safety, and paranoia or scare tactics. I think that mobile phones were an easy target, and Bluetooth and Wifi are probably second to that.

4. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Agreed !!

Your microwave emits FAR MORE harmful waves than your average wifi access point, or laptop...

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

sdomething a freind of mine pointed out is that the radio waves that make it through the ionosphere from the sun are far more pervasive and harmful than wi-fi. so, should schools be lined with lead and blocked off from all air and light?

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

But there's a magical lump of glass!

7. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the glass itself does jack all, the particles and mesh embedded in it are what stop the lethal radiation.

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

IDIOTS!!!!

Wi-Fi has too large a wave length to case harm on a cellular level I can't belive I am seeing this, have people lost all common sense?

the only thing wi-fi can do is cause a minuscule amount of heating which is virtually unmeasurable... please can some one get some common sense :S

9. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

That was my idea too. ;)
    I feel compelled to point out that just because you haven't had any complaints doesn't mean there haven't been problems. It merely means that if there have been problems, no one's linked them to prevalent Wi-Fi access (yet).

10. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

No it means that we haven't had a big enough hypochondriac get in the way of the technological infrastructure yet.

11. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

You keep telling yourself that. ;)

12. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

this kind of thing is spread by people that dont really understand the technology, the frequencies and the amount of power this kit uses.

the power output of a wi-fi access point is orders of magnitude less than that of even a mobile phone, which almost everyone has and there are no definite/obvious/properly proven ill effects from those.

i think i may heave read something like this before, where a teacher in the UK complained of headaches when he was in his classroom for long periods of time and he just happened to blame it on the access point. It was a lot more probable it was because of stress, noisy students, or even some kind of gas leak, too small to harm in the short term, but he happened to be more sensitive to its effects?

These things dont really make too much sense when people go off on random technologies like this, without enough evidence to back up their claims. They should research first, then make a definitive answer instead of fearmongering.

13. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

err, may i be the first to point out that the wireless technology in the Nintendo DS IS WiFi?

i agree that all this concern is merely fearmongering...although, if it does turn out to be true i'm rather screwed...mobiles, wifi, bluetooth and cordless phones and console controllers everywhere in my house

14. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

actually...
    1x70% = .7
    7x70% = .49
    .49x70%=.343
    .343x70%=.24
    .24x70%=.168
    etc
    etc

you'd need 12.911 cell phones to bring your sperm count to a respectable 1%. If you want to be on the safe side, you might try 19.367 cell phones for .1% of your original sperm count. But on the other hand, it only takes 1 of the little buggers to cause all sorts of trouble, so you should probably carry 58.101 cell phones to reduce your count to 1/1,000,000%. Should be safe then :p

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It is pretty retarded, Radios have been used for over a century and no-one's ever worried about them affecting people, wi-fi is the same, so why the hysteria? God people are retarded. For complete saftey from all forms of electro magnetic raditation you need to live in an air tight lead room deep underground with no light. True you'd be safe from radiation, but you'd die from lack of air soon enough.

You know what this isn't even worth a rant, it's just retarded on every level.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yup, people who whine about these sorts of things clearly lack any understanding of what radiation actually is, and of light.

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

rofl :hehe:

I have decided crt's are dangerous and so is light, I am going to remove my eyes for protection.

Tags: Add Tags