1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 21 Nov 2011.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

love it!... looks beautiful. I really like the mesh layout on the side. btw, what kind of wood is that?

2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

That is stunning work, awesome wood skills :D

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

West Indian Mahogany. I collected six choice boards over the years because of their unique flame pattern. You can't see the flames in the photos because it is a holographic effect. In other words it actually looks better in person. :thumb: I have always wanted to use an oil finish instead of my typical lacquer finish but shyed away because of warnings that it would be too dark. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings and a Happy Festivus for the rest of us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

removed

Last edited: 20 Dec 2011
  6. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Perfect, thanks :thumb:

I don't even drink, but that just looks right for some reason :lol:

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

@bulldogjeff..Maybe a Coke vending machine instead. lol
    @Mosquito...give credit to Waynio for that idea.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Beautiful stuff.:D If the cast grill is off I have an idea for a cheap alternative: Aluminum heating duct tape. You can work it around the edges with some plastic and then buff it for a cheap chrome effect.:thumb:

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Cheaps. Casting is not off the table. I painted the pattern and it will remain a separate, removable piece. I'm angling for a trip to CES in a few weeks so a missing piece right now won't help my cause. The plan is to drum up some interest in a very small production run. Economies of scale kinda stuff. I've never built anything for sale before because it sounds too much like work but if it allows me to do cool, expensive stuff then I might be up for it. Or...I'll just wake up from this dream and go have some nog.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It is beautiful & well on track for filling another month of the calendar :thumb:, the colours & textures work perfectly together :clap: & nice one for adding the JD :D:rock:.

Cheaps idea sounds good & if it doesn't work you can always blame cheaps :hehe: I seem to remember seeing a blame cheaps cult around here somewhere :lol:.

And I'd expect if you made some for sale there should be keen buyers, your work is top notch stuff & your world renowned for it & it's all truly hand made not just hand assembled :dremel::).

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yeah, I´ve heard about lumber like that. Rainforest trees with mindblowing holographic effects when looking from different angles. Hard to get hold on I guess... and I don´t know much about finishing. I´ve tried out some different varnish, but got really really hooked on the brand "Danish oil". It gives the surface such a luster and works sooo good on darker woods. btw, went through your webpage today (again) and have to say I love every single creation!!

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Once again makes my recently built plywood speakers look like absolute crap :D

Good work, you're really THE man when it comes to wooden cases and wood working.

13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Waynio. Could be a solid candidate for a Winter month...January maybe. :hehe: We'll see.

I used Watco's Danish Oil on my Mid Century Madness project and had a good experience. Stuff made by Behlen is a quantum leap over the Watco products.

Aw shucks Jipa. Thanks! Maybe I'm just an idiot savant with fancy Popsicle sticks. Is Wapner on? Maybe this one will be worthy of ATM?

Teaser photo...
    [​IMG]

ASPHIAX likes this.
  14. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

jieha - wow - awesome :clap:

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Oh wow, thats come on in 2 days.

The silver side trim looks awesome. Almost Art Deco..

16. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

witrh danger of repeating myself, cant tell you how much I love your work.
    Absolute style !

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. :thumb:

It is meant to be straight-up slap you in the face Art Deco. Thanks Jeff.

Thank you ASPHIAX. I appreciate that.

[​IMG]
    Still got a ton of work to do.

Thanks for looking.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Gorgeous :clap:

I wouldn't have suspected that with how good it already looks but been seeing that a bit lately where we think a project is done & looking awesome & it just keeps getting better & better until we just have nonsense falling out of our mouths :D, well that's how it is for me anyway :hehe: but I highly approve of the you aint seen nothing yet part of a project log, so many layers of awesome suddenly appearing with each update, love it :rock::D.

19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Waynio. Exterior work is mostly evening out the shading on a few panels. A few more coats of teak oil and let it stand longer before wiping off will hopefully darken some areas up. All the wiring is left to do. The base isn't attached yet because it makes the whole thing much more awkward to work on. The side emblem isn't permanently attached yet. Tacky glue lets me move it around to get the best position. I shot these fake final photos to help me pimp it out to some CES playas. Seems to be working.

What I'm looking forward to most is the side-by-side photo with Level Eleven.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Good stuff :) I think my brain might explode from seeing a massive group photo of all your projects together :lol: would be waaaaay too much awesome overload for the head, extreme braingasm causing brain to fail for at least a few days where I can't put any words together :hehe:.