1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project all-plexi keyboard --KONG is a god!! -- no really! he is!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by malcs, 30 Aug 2003.

1. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

£21.00 for 1 pen but worth it i think :eeek:

2. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Dude, that's much. I think I'll stick with wires...
    BTW, if you haven't ordered yet, would you mind ordering two LM324N for me? Same procedure as last time.
    (If you already have ordered or don't want to order those, that's fine) :p

3. malcs

u were literally 2 seconds too late m8 but for some reason they are charging £4 postage!!! anyway that was only a small order from them by me for an assortment of smt capacitors (about 50) and about 20 blue smt LEDs... :D -- will be ordering agin in a few days anyway so i will do it then :D

4. kong

kong cnc-guy

Hijinx, as far as I am concerened, this is a one-off, for malcs. If he wishes to go into business, then it will be up to him to set a price, based on the price I give him per set. I hope you understand, I really have no interest in making these!

5. malcs

tbh i am intending this to be a one-off as well i really dont have the time to go into full time business making this what with school, all my other stuff in life that i have to contend with i think that this project has to be a one off

and i am eternally grateful to kong :)

6. kong

kong cnc-guy

malcs, just a quick thought, what are you doing about the letters on the keys?

7. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Malcs,

With your circuit, put the resistor in series with the LED. And then the capacitor parralel to those... Then the resistor will not limit the charging of the capacitor, But will limit the discharge.
    Code:
                       +
              |---------||-----------|
    ----------|                      |-------------
              |------<res>---|> |----|

8. malcs

i have some decal paper that i am going to use to put transfers onto the keys :D

9. malcs

@ enak good idea i will play around with that when i get my smt things

10. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

I like how the topic changes so much :) man i want one of these...hope it looks sexey!

11. bard

I think you should use CNC to route letters on the underside of each key. When you route in plexi, it becomes white/light reflecting too (like the funky disco man in my avatar)

12. kong

kong cnc-guy

Yeah, thanks bard, I must remember to kick you if we ever meet!
    Lol, I was gonna offer, but I thought I'd test the water first, don't want to go giving myself too much work now do I?!

13. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

KONG your sites off the hook yo!....that flash and the graphics are so nice!...

@bard: so thats what that was? weird would never have guessesd...looks like someone sneezed on the case

14. malcs

@bard i am going to get the decals done by a friend who can print silver :D

what he does is he fills the tank with some metallic siver coloured ink (in the printer) then just makes sure that the image is fully in the colour that the tank would normally hold (e.g. black) then he just prints...

15. bard

Hyjnx, :hehe: :hehe:

Malcs, I have though about that technique too, but then for printing white on T shirt decals, making be able to use iron-on decals on black t-shirts.
    Printing silver sounds cool too. Maybe I'll try that. Do you have to use a brand new ink tank? On my dad's canon, the tanks are clear, so I can see that there's this huge sponge in there which sucks up all the color. Do you have to print like 100 pages of that color before you come to the silver?

16. malcs

we took out the sponge and cleaned it before putting it back in (by cutting off the side and epoxying it back on)

we used a canon too,

but an old one

17. kong

kong cnc-guy

Malcs, you may want to find someone with a laser cnc. I gave it a go, well, 2 goes in fact:
    [​IMG]
    but it has come out a little rough. My machine just ain't designed to cut plastics - not fast enough! I have no idea how to cut out the keys either, those little cut-outs for the key-holes went flying all over the place! let me know what you think anyways.

18. bard

If it were my keyboard, I would have made the keys bigger (and then you won't have to make all those "keyholes" in the top plexi either). That would certainly make CNCing easier, and producing keys too. (You could produce keys on a band saw or something, btw)

19. malcs

WOW KONG!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: that will do nicely!!! i just need to sand a few of the key hole edges to smoth them down and it willl look even more amazing :D no way i guess you could use double-sided sticky tape to hold down the keys??

you are a god :clap: :clap:

20. malcs

just read bard's post yeah i could use a bandsaw :D well done for that idea :D