1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Bass Cube

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by cderalow, 30 Oct 2002.

1. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

Basically this is me transforming my Philips MMS205 MultiMedia Speaker sets from their stock form...
    [​IMG]
    and creating a custom plexi glass cube for the subwoofer, then making custom enclosures for the speakers (note I'm starting with two sets of these, and for the final product I hope to have a center main channel and two side/rear channels along with the subwoofer enclosure...

I hope to make the subwoofer and speaker enclosures look similiar to macro black with the painted plexi and the tinting... I also am figuring out how to power a 4" cold cathode in the sub enclosure and am going to include the remote to control the speakers as well as a 4 port external USB hub into the project...

right now I'm in the fitting/testing phase as I've got to create the rear I/O plate to match the amp of the speaker system and for the remote as well as the USB hub... this is what I've got so far (excuse the crappy pics... logitech webcam and its made out of plexi so it doesn't show too well)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can't you give a guy 20 minutes to take and upload pics... christ....

Last edited: 30 Oct 2002
  2. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Waht crappy pic? All I see is the pic that looks like it's fomr teh Phillips website :rolleyes: shameless steal eh?

The idea sounds good, but the only thing I can say is buggering around with your enclosures could have very bad effects on the sound. Especially being made out of plexu it could make the sound crackle oddly, especially on teh subwoofer.

It sounds like a cool idea though, and I hope to see a succesful project! And hopefully the sound won't be affected, good luck sir!

:clap:

3. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Would it sound less good because of sound leak and non-vibrant resistant material?

4. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a cool project, i look forward to more pics

P.S.you might wanna host that philips pic on your own bandwidth...prolly not a HUGE deal, but still

5. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Sorry, I didn't notice the times, also the only thing I've to do right now is troll the forums.....

Looking good there, hope to se more pics (I'll wait next time:D)

I'm interested in how this project turns out, as I'd love to do that to my system, but it's been my experience that altering the enclosure for your speakers can make them sound bad, but that eing said, if you build it well, and and you make the enclosures as similar as possible to the original, then it should be fine. Also it depends on the quality of the speakers, I don't know your system, but some of the more high up quality ones are more dangerous to do that to, as they are slightly more refined, but the average ones shouldn't bother too much. Well good luck anywayz lad, hope you the best!

:clap: for having the guts to rip open your sound system in the first place :clap:

6. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

7. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

To be honest with you, I have thought about making a plexi case for repro, too, however, my friend (hip hop dj, won some prizes, some mister of republic etc.) told me, that the sound will be horrible, so I stoped ideas like that.

It'll look great tho.