1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (E-ATX mod) FINAL PICTURES: 12th March - 2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 12 Dec 2012.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Sorry, just not possible.

2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Ah I see! I hope you get your Prodigy fixed and up and running! :D
    I think you should take an idea of those you've got and make it come true! ;)

That's what I'll be doing, and I think and hope it will turn out fine! :D

Thanks again!

What's not possible? :O

Btw those pictures are not mine :)

Best Regards
    Nikkop

3. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

The motherboard would barely fit (13" x 9"), but not the four video cards

4. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

The motherboard will probably fit, it's only a little bit wider than the motherboard I'll be using, the GA-Z77X-UP7. Theoretically, with the solution I'm going with, it should fit.

About the 4x graphic cards, the GPU in the last slot probably won't fit.
    Maybe if it's water cooled or a card that doesn't take up much space.

But that's not my images so I'm not the right person to say anything about it. I'm just saying what I think :D

Best Regards
    Nikkop

5. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDAAAAAAATE! : D

Modification and creation of side panel with a window. - 05/01 -2013

UPDATE 05/1 - 2013

Hello dear friends and companions!
    Hope you all had a nice and enjoyable Christmas and a great New Year! :)

I myself have been down in my former city where I visited my family and friends for Christmas and New Year.
    This does not mean that I had a vacation from project, oh no! ;)
    Instead, I took some time and worked with the side panel to get it done just the way I want it.

Eager to result? :)

Let's begin! ;)

Here we see the first picture in this update. Nothing fancy, it's one of the side plate with holes (when motherboard position is in original condition) will be able to take in air through the holes for the graphics card.
    I chose this site because it is the one we will look through to see into the chassis. In any case, you can put the side panel on the side of the chassis you want, which is good if you want it on the other side.
    [​IMG]

Since I will have a plexiglass window in the side panel I must saw a hole where I want the glass to be.
    I tape across the front so that the jigsaw tool won’t hurt and leave mark on the plate.
    [​IMG]

I'm testing with a drill to see how hard the plate is to drill through, and trust me when I say that this plate is thick and stable!
    This is thin crap, it’s quite thick and solid.
    [​IMG]

I measure how far I'm going to cut the hole.
    One side on the back of the side plate, this piece that helps the plate to attach to the chassis, which means I can not cut the hole farther than what this piece is, so therefore I use this piece for measures when I decide how large the hole will be.
    [​IMG]

I turn the plate over and draw on the tape which works well, attaches great.
    I also have rounded corners and I do this with the help of a lid of the appropriate size :)
    [​IMG]

Now I have drawn out the dimensions and what remains is to cut out the hole.
    I start by drilling a hole near the edge. I must have somewhere to stick my saw and begin cutting.
    [​IMG]

Once the hole is drilled, just run down the jigsaw and start cutting!
    Since the side plate is pretty thick it takes some time to get through, and turns in the corners requires a steady hand.
    [​IMG]

Finally the piece got off! Now we can see how big the hole will be and how much space the glass will take.
    Removing the tape to see how it looks without and actually surprisingly good! Edges, lengths and such are not 100% straight but I fix it afterwards using a dremel with grinding nozzle.
    [​IMG]

I test tried to attach the glass after I had sanded the edges, but I did not like it. I thought something was missing and felt that it needed something to fill out, something pretty.
    [​IMG]

So I went and looked at different types of edging lists and it ended up I bought one of these, 9mm edge strip of rubber.
    [​IMG]

Mounting the edging and the results are really nice! Even if a rim is mainly used to disguise / hide the edges, for me it was a really nice feature that I liked very much. It fits in terms of design and I like it quite a lot! :D
    [​IMG]

So, now that the side panel has been sawn and got a nice edging, so I want to see how it looks when the side plate is in place on the chassis!
    It may look like crap, who knows?
    I must say I like it!
    I was really pleased with size of the hole, the rounded edges and the rim.
    [​IMG]

What is missing then? Well, plexiglass course!
    I test fit the plexiglass to see how it will look. I have another piece of plexiglass coming up because this was a little too short to be attached the way I wanted, it is now temporarily attached with double-stapled tape just to see how it looks.
    But yes, I am satisfied and happy with the outcome! :) What do you say?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was very pleased with the result. If I manage to keep the same quality the rest of the modification, I think this modification will turn out to be brutally good, hopefully! >:)

What did you think of this step , when I modified the side plate? :)
    I’ll be more than happy to read your comments and thoughts!

We'll see what the next step will be, the school has begun to pick up again and it will take some time. But tension remains stronger than ever and it itches in my fingers every day when I look at the case :)

Have a nice day!
    Thanks in advance
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

6. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Good job with the window mate,
    keep it up,
    this has a lot of potential!

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

WOW!!!!!!!!

Stunning work, wasn't sure at first how you was going to fit a E-ATX board in that case from just reading the title but now I see and it's stunning work you have done.

Sub'd

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I was thinking about modifying this case for mATX as it wouldn't be too hard but E-ATX is just crazy!

Subscribed to this one now.

9. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

^Agrees!
    Subbed..!

10. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

good job so far! will be interesting to see where this goes :)

11. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a bunch! :D

Let's hope the rest goes as good!

Thanks a lot! :D
    I'm glad you're excited and thinks it's cool, I'm too! :)

Hah, thanks! :)
    Yeah it's a bit of challenge, but hopefully the final product will be awesome!
    Compact as I like it and nice looking!

Thanks! Just be sure to stay tuned and you'll be able to follow it closely! :)

A short message to my readers!

I'm having a very hectic time at school at the moment, finishing a course at the same time as I'm waiting for my motherboard, the Gigabyte z77x-UP7 to arrive.
    However, after this week I'm starting a new course in school which gives me some time to work on my project and I should be getting my motherboard too by then, so I can continue with this modification and project! :)

So stay tuned all!
    Thanks a lot for subscribing and for liking this, it motivates me a lot! :)

Have a nice one
    Best Regards
    Nikko

12. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

This gives me a lot of inspiration! Either I buy a Lian Li V650, (for almost double the price) or a m/ATX modded Prodigy..

Gonna sit it out and see how you manage to pull it off ;D

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

This is pretty insane, even by the standards of bit tech modders. :D

I very much look forward to seeing this progress!

14. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Sweet! The V650 is one good looking case indeed! I wouldn't say no to one of those!

An mATX modded Prodigy will be a lot easier and you will have more space for other stuff, so go for whichever you'd like! However the V650 looks tempting! :D

Thanks a bunch! Means a lot :)

The modification of the case itself haven't really begun. However, I've got my final exam on my current college course this Sunday, and after that I'll start again! :)
    I hope the motherboard will arrive soon enough, would love to try it out!

It's really fun and motivating to see that my project is looking good and outstanding, even for someone who is a veteran here (I'm thinking about your post count, lol :p).
    However, let's hope I'll be able to impress you just as much when I start modifying the case for real! ;)

Thanks again!
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

15. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hope you're all doing good!

I've been quite busy the last couple of weeks but the last days I've been playing with my project a bit! ;)

Here's a teaser for you what I've been playing with! ;)

[​IMG]

Best Regards
    Nikkop

16. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

crazy swede :p will be interesting too see how much stuff you will actually get to fit in there without parts sticking out everywhere :D

17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Interesting, now stop teasing! :D

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I see "Prodigy & E-ATX" ???!? but.. thats.... not... oh wait.. he's from Sweden :p

Subbed :D

19. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

If everything goes as planned I will actually get pretty much inside it.
    That is a motherboard, PSU, hard drives, water cooling, fans etc.etc. :)

Hah! I would like to do an update but I don't have enough content yet. Or perhaps I could do an update out of the content I've got available. I'll think about it tomorrow! :))

Hah, thanks mate!
    Just stay tuned and I'll show you the Viking skills! ;)

Btw, you're the dude behind E22? :) Nice!
    Been following you on FaceBook, really think the reservoir looks awesome!

Best Regards
    Nikkop

20. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 03/2 - 2013

Updaaaaaaaaaaate! :D

[​IMG]

Modification of the motherboard plate and test fitting the PSU and the motherboard. - 03/2 -2013

Hey,

Hope everyone is doing well and that you’re hungry for an update! I myself have been pretty busy trying to finish a college course and an examination assignment in another course.
    I have now had time to process all the images and do a update!

( Yesterday, I was shocked to know that my last project, G5 Unlocked, are at the top six best modifications for the month of January at Bit-Tech: An honor to me as a beginner modder.
    Please check It out and cast your votes on your favorite builds!
    G5 Unlocked by Nikkop | bit-tech.net
    )

This update will be about how I modify the motherboard plate to fit on the chassis, how I test mount power supply (many want to see this) and how it will look like with a motherboard test fitted! (What the teaser image was about) :)

Enjoy! Do not forget to comment or ask if you have any questions! :)

Okok, we begin by looking at how the motherboard tray’s I/O panel relate in size to the chassis!
    As we see, it is a little bit off the page and will not go getting into the case, modification must be done!
    [​IMG]

I throw in the motherboard tray before modification to show that it is too long/wide and modification must be done.
    [​IMG]

I select what is to be cut off by first drawing a line and then add a bit of tape so I know how much to remove.
    [​IMG]

I tighten the plate to the kitchen table and prepare the jigsaw. Here it should be slaughtered! :)
    (My girlfriend is worried each time I saw in the kitchen that I would "accidentally" cut in her nice table! :p )
    [​IMG]

We pull up and saw on! Can tell you that there is quite a lot of metal splinters flying here and there and sawed metal does not smell like flowers!
    Do not forget to sweep up everything as it is barely visible, but becomes large piles of metal shavings if you sweep it up.
    [​IMG]

We try inserting the plate in the chassis when it has been sawn, and yes, it fits nicely!
    You may wonder why I put it inside the chassis and it is because I want to see how it relates to the size and when I test fit, I have to have it inside the chassis because I haven’t sawn a hole in the bottom of the chassis yet.
    [​IMG]

However, we are not done yet! I have more to be done on this sheet and now you will see why!
    Here is a sheet metal piece with the PCI-brackets, that's where you mount the video card/expansion card.
    [​IMG]

I follow the contours for the PCI-bracket and mark with a pencil so I know how much space it takes, even if I would take the brackets off.
    [​IMG]

There, now marked with masking tape what will be removed. I pull up the saw and saw on!
    [​IMG]

And here we have the results!
    You probably wonder why I cut off so much of the plate width so it became thinner? - Keep reading! ;)
    [​IMG]

Here is the plate inside the chassis! Sitting really good and just as I wished!
    As you can see the tray’s I/O is now smaller but closer to one edge of the chassis!
    Why? Well it gives me the space behind the motherboard plate. There I can put stuff that will not be seen through the chassis window.
    Why would I want that?
    [​IMG]

Tadaaaaaaaa!
    Yes, you see that right! The power supply will be placed behind the motherboard plate. In this way, it will not be visible through the window. There is also more space that will be used. For what we will see in the future! ;) But PSU placement is fixed and it is perfect!
    unboxing and review of the power supply comes at a later stage when I had time to try it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS! As you can see in the pictures, it is the power supply back placed against the front of the chassis.
    Of course it will not look like this later, but it was just to show that it fits! :)
    The power supply back will be placed against the back of the chassis, of course!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So okay.
    Now we have modified the motherboard tray’s I/O plate to fit inside the chassis, and also managed to place the power supply.
    But how will it look like with a motherboard in place?
    I test fit a little fast with an old Gigabyte Motherboards for AM3 CPU.
    This is not the motherboard that will be used later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I myself am very pleased so far and believe that this project will be awesooome to the end! I am at the beginning of the modification but it has begun to take shape, I’m so thrilled!

Or what do you think? :) Do you like the placement of the motherboard and power supply? :)
    I myself am happy to say that I see much potential in this building and how compact and powerful you can get it.

I am more than happy to listen and hear what you have to say! So just comment on!

Hope you enjoyed this update!

Next update will involve unboxing and similar of Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7
    Take care and thanks in advance!
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

Last edited: 3 Feb 2013