1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:: Black Lightning-- FINISHED!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JEEVES, 1 Apr 2004.

1. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

yeah, i have this thread on hardforums as well. and someone there mentioned it as well. I never realy noticed (mabey becuase i knew there was 2 bodys there) until they mentioned it. Enigma is my brother so that would explain why the hands look the same, i guess.

JEEVES

2. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Now time for a long over due update.

Did some more work on the top and front today. Unfortunatly I am going to have to wait for all the stuff i ordered to arive before i can get on to the truely hard stuff (electrical work). But here are the pics of the top
    I sanded all the nasty blue paint off down to the beutiful aluminum.
    [​IMG]

Then I covered it up with filler primer.
    [​IMG]

Unsatisfied with the way it turned out, I pulled the bondo back out(god i hate that stuff now) and did some touch up. and sanded, and sanded, and sanded (my finger tips are raw)
    [​IMG]

After that i added another coat of primer to see how it turned out. Alittle better, but still needs some work before i paint it. (nothing big tho so it will prob wait till right before i paint).
    [​IMG]

Now on to the front. I Put the door in a much better place. I used some plastic epoxy. Stuff worked great it melted the plastic together beutifuly. Altho I am still going to be adding braces on the back side to give it some extra strength.
    [​IMG]

And here it is all put together (well for the most part). Now you guys can start to get an idea of how it is going to look. I still dont have the front lexan on (it is going to attach to the frame) Infact I might go work on that now.
    [​IMG]

Well that is all for now. Since 1 of my packages will be getting here fri, I will be able to work on that this weekend. You guys are going to love what it is, I just hope it works as i plan. I hate ordering things online, you are never positive of what you are getting.

Until then

JEEVES

ps. I also picked up one of these yesterday, as soon as it gets here i will start on that.

[​IMG]

3. ambi

ambi What's a Dremel?

Jeeves I have a question for you, someone posted on my thread about covering up those indents on the sides of the cd-roms but as you already know thats how the drives stay in place with the rails that it comes with, so how did you get around that, did you drill holes into the frame? any tips would be helpful, btw looks like your case is coming along very nicely, good job cant wait to see the finished product.

ambi

4. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

yeah you can just atach the optical drives directly to the frame. those quick release clips are just if you have removable items (ie. in a server). but since i am not using this case as a server then just attaching them to the frame is just fine for me.

JEEVES

5. modderman

modderman What's a Dremel?

I'm liking the mod. For my first mod I was gonna do a case from scratch... but I now think that the method you're going for is much better. I was wondering tho, do you have a lot of prior experience with bondo? I am thinking about closing up some gaps and stuff, but I don't know if I'm experienced enough to do it.... I've never tried before... what do you think?

btw, I subscribed.

6. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Dude, this has come a long ways since I saw it a few months ago. I like the idea with the top of the case, I wish I'd thought to do that before I gutted my case. Great work man. However, the top of the case, with the duct, it looks like there is an uneven side on the bondo...look at the primer'd pic of the top, looking down. It appears to be uneven, but it could be the flash. Just looking out for ya :)

7. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Mmm, I think it's a bit tricky to fix the drives directly to the frame:

- there are no holes for the screws (only three big holes which act as a guide for the clips)

- the frame is larger than the width of the drives (to allow for clip mounting) so you should use non-standard screws with some spacers

Finally, those clips are not for 'removable' drives, but for easy mounting.... If you try to pull out a cd-rom, you'll pull the data and power cables too..

Don't want to be a professor, but I have the same case and just wanted to now how will you fix the drives without rails... :naughty:

8. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

wow mate. You done amazing mod there. Love the idea at the top. hmm.
    And also you hot 3 hands ! :idea:

9. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Yes I plan on using spacers and slightly bigger screws. And yes they are for removable drives, you have to use specific quick disconnects in the back(so you dont rip out ide cables). But since 9 out of 10 people do not use these cases as actual servers, removable drives are not needed so the clips have come to be easy install clips. So in a way we are both right.

Dont worry that is mainly the flash. there is a slight bump there, but that is why i said "Alittle better, but still needs some work before i paint it. (nothing big tho so it will prob wait till right before i paint). " There are still a few imperfections (that being one of them, even tho the shadows makes it look worse) that i will be fixing either this weekend or right before i paint.

Thank you all for replys

JEEVES

10. Kckazdude

Kckazdude What's a Dremel?

JEEVES When you get a minute get in contact with me. I am doing a simialr mod and want to pass some ideas your way see what you think.
    AIM: Kckazdude32
    MSN: Kckazdude_2000@yahoo.com

11. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Ok time for another update. sorry its been awhile but i have had way to much to do lately. anyways

I got my vfd last weekend (noritake 128x64 800A graphic vfd) and got it wired up and running so here are a few shots of me just playing around with it, trying to find a screen I like. Right now I am using lcd studio and liquid mp3, but I am not 100% happy with either right now. So if anyone knows of a better program for this model please let me know(preferably free versions).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok I also got to work on my fanbus, I ordered a simple 6 fan 3 position controler.
    [​IMG]

It orignaly came with blue/red leds, ugly, so I got some of these to replace them.
    [​IMG]

Pulled out my trusty radio shack desouldering iron and went to work. First thing I had to do was remove the back pcb as it was in my way.
    [​IMG]

Then I was able to get to soulder on the back. Removed the leds from the board.
    [​IMG]

Next the switches had to go. the whole thing wouldnt fit where i need it to.
    [​IMG]

Next I had to soulder wires onto each one of the leads, 18 for the switches and 18 for the leds. here are the switches all wired up.
    [​IMG]

Now I dont have all the leds wired up as I wanted to make sure everything would fit in first. So I took out the case front and drilled the holes for led holders and switches. dont worry they are all on there straight, the picture just looks like ****. And the switches are all in diffrent positions.
    [​IMG]

They all fit (had to cut down the back of 4 of the led holders but the leds still fit in). here is a close up of the back.
    [​IMG]

And another pic of the back, you can see all the wires for the switches (they will be sleeved dont worry). the pc board will be up in the false top where all the fans will connect to it.
    [​IMG]

This weekend I will be finishing the fanbus and mounting the vfd and if my package gets here i will be mounting the power button, dvd button and led, dvd burner button and led(the leds will be more blue/white).

JEEVES

12. benje

benje Minimodder

Yes again, great work there mate. Nice ideas and implementation of that fanbus switches :]

benj-

13. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

I would agree, I really like the cable management, great :idea:. :thumb:

14. mopery

mopery What's a Dremel?

Hey looking cool JEEVES

15. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

I am not sure if that is sarcasim or not :worried: if it is then i will reiterate that I will be sleaving all of those wires, right now it is just a test fit. If it isnt, thank you. :D

JEEVES

16. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

It was not sarcastic at all, I really like the idea. :clap:

17. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

You know what the best thing is, those wires are only for the switches. I still ahve to add all the wires for the leds (18 more). So yeah there is going to be a ton of wires going from there up to the false top (mabey, still havent decided the best place for the pcb) but like i said i will prob do that this weekend.

JEEVES

18. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

and im probably going to end up twistin them all together too.. cause hes to damn lazy, and im a super wire whore :D :hehe: so yeah...

Last edited: 30 Apr 2004
  19. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

and boredom strikes as i wait for the mail man... THAT DIDNT HAVE MY ****!...

anyways, helping jeeves out i twisted the wires on the switches(dont worry i marked what wire was what),and made a new skin for his uber vfd

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Wow this is looking great . . .