1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

gooooooood friggggggginnnnnnnn lorrrrddddddddd.

Almost 100 pages... awesome attn to detail :)

Edit: First on page 100!

2. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I only see 50 pages :confused:

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The rest of Bit only sees 20 posts per page.

I'd have never thought of just tracing a coin... so simple.

4. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

Mod squad, you're a *******

You made me read the whole thread becasue your damn modding is TOO DAMN GOOD!!!

Wonderful mod

I too am going to do a Red/Black mod. I got sick of the blue I have now, and there are LED's (my main choice of lighting) that don't match in color :(

5. Goth

Goth What's a Dremel?

man, i love this mod so much ... gave me alot of inspiration ... may i take some good ideas from ur mod to my mod ?

6. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Please feel free. I highest praise you can give me and this project is to use some of my ideas in your project..
    N/A::
    I am more a fan of LEDs than coldcathode lighting..just about every CC I have seen looks pink..LEDs are the way to go.
    [​IMG]
    I like this picture..This is just the rear_lighting..More to come. LEDs give ya a nice "blood-red" lighting..

Firehed:
    Yes..sometimes things can be that simple..

TN:
    Not sure why you would only see 50pages..I see 100..How about others??

Starbuck3733t:
    Thanks..
    100 pages 650 pictures and year+ in the making..
    I did not have time to make and try out the new USB cover this weekend. BUT at least I have the idea in my head..Nice short three-day work week, then I will cut that red acrylic panel..

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  7. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Exactly. That's why I also dislike CCF's and went for led car brake light instead - cheap, real red and works straight with 12V :D .

8. modsquad

Not cheap, 12V and Billet..
    Arlen Ness
    When I get some time, I still plan to compile a complete-list of dealers/vendors I use..COMING-SOON..

MotorCycle stuff is a bit more to "scale" than it's Auto counterpart..BUT all things HD are VERY pricey..
    PROGRESS:
    none..TUrkey=tryptophan=sleep..
    WakeUP..drink beer, play HL2
    [​IMG]
    I am off-work until monday PM..I should have time to make-up that "long-suffering" front USB cover...
    Speaking of RED-acrylic..Has everyone seen PilouX lastest project on the "main-site"...
    Machinatrix
    Some GREAT acrylic work...Take a "look-see"... :thumb: Not sure what red acrylic has to do with the Matrix (lots of green, from anything_Matrix I have seen)..BUT, great work never-the-less.

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Edited my options to see 40 posts per page. :D

10. modsquad

There you go TN..Glad you can now see the "complete" plight of project BN..It's been a long road..
    I am VeRy enviuos of the Nurse..She has many of the AC parts I want and need!! BUT Wes@The Shark said all that gear is on it's way to the States soon..

11. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

"Billet" is not familiar word to me, and price etc of course varies based on your region. But this is what I meant:

[​IMG]

Costs 16.5 euros in Finland, works straight with 12V and comes with ~40 bright true red leds cleanly on PCB. Well, not dirt cheap, but works well as a replacement for CCFL in terms of shape and brightness (when you tear it apart, of course, but every modder will do that ;-)).

12. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

the red is comming from the Sentinals "Eyes" which are red, if you see the animatrix, when they 'convert' machines, there eyes then turn green. also if you notice, the "real world" has a blue tinge to it....

Oh and im still loving this project, can wait to see the USB idea :)

13. modsquad

Billet means "bar of metal" that metal can be magnesium or steel or iron, but most times it's aluminum. So a billet turn-signal bracket
    [​IMG]
    is "carved" from a block of aluminum and not aluminum poured into a mold (die-cast). Billet parts are much stronger and have a "flawless" finish..
    The unit above is about 5" long and 1.5" high and sells for over $100US.. :waah:
    also 12v like yours..

14. modsquad

Thanks for clearing that up GS. so the 5mm red LED make sense. What about the red acrylic mounts/brackets? Don't get me wrong Mr. PilouX is building a wonderful case..He is a "top of the food chain" modder..BUT I don't see the connection..That's not to say a ClearCase with red acrylic won't look great..IT will..
    Tomorrow for the USB cover....HOPE.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2005
  15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

$100us... but damn sexy!!! now get the damn usb cover done!

16. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Ok, thanks :) .

OMG, that's just beautiful. And yes, the one I showed is not usable in places where it's visible. But in my project light sources will not be seen, so that fits my purpose.

But hey, the one you showed certainly made me think that light sources might indeed be visible if they look *that* good :D .

17. modsquad

"damn usb cover" indeed, I have been fighting this area of the case for some time..
    The location in question:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As I am not using the front ports, I want to disguise them..This is what I have been using. Lets try again:
    [​IMG]
    lets cut & drill.. :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    round the corners with the Dremel:
    [​IMG]
    Then bolt it up and bend the acrylic with a heatgun..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pull the paper for a "test-fit":
    [​IMG]
    Now we need to file then polish the cut egdes with Novus scratch remover:
    [​IMG]
    Finished:
    [​IMG]
    Lets get it on the machine (low-light picture).. :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    It 'blends in" quite well:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I still have "more than a few" small odds/ends like this before this project is truly finished..
    [​IMG]
    One last picture:
    [​IMG]

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Quite nicely executed, much better than before. Though I wonder if countersunk screws would give it a 'smoother' look. I'd have never thought to fold it under like that, great idea. Any tricks on how to do that? I've meant to try it out for a while but haven't found an "appropriate" place to do so. However... maybe it's time to come up with a more certain color scheme for Frozenfire. I wonder how yellow would look there...

Perhaps it's just a 3am thing (damn you itunes!) but I'd swear the radiator used to mount with four of the long bolts, not just the two in this picture. That too might look more in-place with countersunk screws, though I'm not sure if you can get them in that length. I have this strange thing about washers - you can never seem to get them quite centered as there's always that 'play room' they have, and I'm totally OCD about things being centered and symetrical and whatnot. I know the socket cap screws are all over the place in BN, but those ones in particular look a bit 'off'.

Probably due to their size more than anything else, M5's are pretty big comparatively (I'm assuming that's what they are, when I tapped that area I used M5), especially with the M3's on the Aquaero. They look almost as big as the LED clips... :idea: more red lighting perhaps :) It looks like the window was bolted on with M5 socket caps as well (I hardly feel like searching at this time of night), and those don't have the washers. It seems like a bolt-to-surface area ratio has been violated almost... the nice big window with M5 bolts and no washers compared to the little USB cover with the same bolts plus the diameter of washers.

Just my thoughts on the subject. In any case, it's very much improved. Far nicer than the Cuplex XT P4 bracket, no matter how much I love the AC goods.

19. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

damn, looks really sweet, youve got some good skills with acrylic! keep up the mental work!

20. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

ahhh, much better than the last one, well done!

as for red acrylic, maybe just cos it goes with red LEDs? i honestly dont know, looks pretty sweet tho.