1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

People say that clearflex is the same as tygon, but it hasnt been this way at all in my experience. The ClearFlex tubing was not as flexible and pliable as tygon. My clearflex tubing also clouded up after a month of use, whereas with the same dye, and same additives, my tygon is going on strong 4 months later.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I dislike barb fittings and have never used them in anything I put together (the reason I stick with small bore German stuff), but Aqua-Computer says there 10mm barb fittings will work with both 3/8"ID and 1/2"ID tubing.

4. Firehed

10mm/25.4(mm/in) = ~.39 in. Trust me, 10mm barbs in a 1/2"ID hose will be quite leaky. Even if it DOES work (ie they're measuring the ID of the barb or something, whereas I'm going with the assumed OD) there's no sense in taking the risk.

5. modsquad

I will take your word for it. As I said I don't use barb fittings. Do you have a source for the G1/4" to 12mm barb fittings this guy needs?

I have monday/tuesday off work and will try to get some work done on project BN. I would like to get the Power Supply in and start wiring mock up.

6. modsquad

Small Update

I had a few free hours and did some odds/ends.
    Cable sleeved/heatshrinked the wiring for the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD. I will need to paint the flow meter flat black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also wanted to see how the mirrored acrylic would work out as the back-plate for the 5.25" bay area. I cut a 5.75"x11" piece to get an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks promising. I will need to get the DVD RW drive installed as well as the hard drives so I can "map-out" the holes needed for the HD's power and SATA connections to pass through. I also plan to have the above pictured flow meter behind the mirror (so two more holes for the tygon tubing). I did the EZ part, more to come...

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  7. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

omg looks like you have another mobo back there!
    sweet.
    hey, what do you use to shrink your tubing? doesnt look very well shrunk IMO. get a heatgun, around 25-30 and you get 50x as good shrinking.

8. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Have you thought much about how you are going to setup your cooling loop? Are you going to split two lines coming off of the exhaust such that your 6800u and your CPU get the coolest H2O? Your loop is bound to be complex given the flow meter. I decided to go with the AC flow meter but I have no idea how I'm going to incorporate it into my loop. :confused:

Keep the pics comin'. I am looking forward to the flow meter painted black. Should work nicely into your case.

9. modsquad

deadly: I do have a heatgun, but the USB plastic plug wanted to start to melt.. Had to stop.

ShoNuff: My plan for the h20 loop goes
    Res--pump--CPU block--GPU block--flow meter--radiator--res.
    Honestly, have not had time to really think about. Let me know how you decide to setup your's... Another week or so for your Aqua-Computer AquaStream pump ?? Let's hope.

10. Fahrenheit 541

Fahrenheit 541 What's a Dremel?

clear acrylic

that clear looks very cool, are you planning to use it anything else? :clap:

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have an in-line flowmeter which I just screwed into the res inlet (it has 3/8" BPS though, so the res needed adapting). If you don't know where to put it, I'd just put your flow meter as close to the res as possible.

Project is still looking good! :thumb:

12. Firehed

SNT has those as well
    http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_22_42&products_id=124

That mirrored plate looks awesome by the way :D I was going to say you had better vinyl dye that meter or something, but I guess you've already got that covered by putting it behind the mirror plate.

Also, I've used a heatgun on sleeving the USB stuff before... wasn't a problem for me. If it's dual heat go with low and hold it a way's away. At least that's what I do :thumb:

13. modsquad

Thanks Firehed. I am using a new batch of heatshrink, not sure if it's me or the heatshrink but it seems difficult to "shrink"...

14. modsquad

Small Set Back

I want to work on the mirrored acrylic backing plate next, but when I begun to install my HD's it became apparent the 5.25" mounting brackets I had planned on using are not going to work. I found/ordered other mounting backets that will work (just came in today). I have to work tonight, but will get the HD's and DVD drive installed tomorrow as well as start working on the acrylic...

15. modsquad

Mirrored Acrylic Backing Plate

The 5.25" hard drive mounting brackets I had planed on using interfere with the bolts holding the laser etched front panel as well as the Lian Li 5.25" bay blank plates. So I will be using these. They are made by C3 Clear Computer Case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also installed the Plextor DVD Burner. I have not had the unit out of the box in about a month (I still like the Carbon Fiber look).

[​IMG]

On to the mirrored acrylic.. I cut a panel to fit under the DVD drive. As I stated in a previous post the Aqua-Computer H20 flow meter will be mounted behind the mirrored panel, so I drilled two holes for the tygon tubing to pass through. I then used two 16mm rubber grommets to finish it of. The panel also needed a notch to allow the wiring from the VFD as well as the other front panel wiring to escape into the case.

[​IMG]

I looped a length of tygon tube from one hole to the other just to get an idea of how it would end up looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to install the second hard drive and make up a mirrored panel for that area...Next...

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  16. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

the plextors come like this stock? sweet!

17. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

no they dont come like that stock

18. modsquad

Last edited: 7 Nov 2004
  19. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

20. modsquad

Sorry.. computer+beer=typing error..
    It is an interesting article..