1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I still have all the pictures, but not the time to repost all the pictures. These are a few "under-construction" shots for you to check out. This thing is now my everyday computer. Sorry!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would never build another acrylic case, all but impossible to keep clean..

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  2. Brubacker

Brubacker What's a Dremel?

3. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

That seems to be a problem in the industry. Great looking case (even that acrylic case looks great).

4. modsquad

The Innovatek NV40 block came with a very nice (detailed) set of instructions, but you are correct. Some of there other gear came with nothing in the way of paperwork. Also Aqua-Computer's Aquaero VFD includes a wonderful manual, pages and pages of information.
    The chrome did not get my stuff finished. It looks like mid next week. I do hope to get some work done this weekend (at least play with the CCFL again and install the videocard), but with the holidays fast approaching time is at a premium....

5. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Very nice mod you have going here, Modsquad. Mmm...would love to get my hands on one of those Aquaero controllers.

Quick question: What is your feeling on performance between the Aquagrafx and Cool-Matic NV40 blocks? Have you had the opportunity to run your card with either?

Thanx for the feedback :)

6. modsquad

Thanks Bean, I just was looking at your stacker mod (glad to see you using Aqua-Computer gear)...Looking good..You would love the AC Aquaero, it is the best display I have ever seen.. As for the AC vs Innovatek GPU blocks, sorry I can't say I sold off the Innovatek NV40 when I purchased the AC AuagraFX6800. The Innovatek does have than copper core and that may help the temps (a little). My FX6800 Ultra and AC block are still in the box, so I can't tell you anything about there performance.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

MS, I just realized how good it would look if you polished that main seperator plate. I noticed it in that pic where the pump is connected to the Evo there and how it was kind of reflective as it was and it hit me.

Of course it would mean many an hour with sandpaper but I'm sure it would look awesome and fit in really well. May wanna consider it at least.

[​IMG]

Just realized how many waterblocks you've tried since the start of the project too.... it's crazy.

8. modsquad

You know, that is a good idea. But it would require removing everything I have installed in the case to this point. The LL aluminium finish is pretty good as-is (would not need much sanding), I have some "rub-on" aluminium polish..I will try that..It can't hurt..Thanks Firehed... Going to try your " red cellophane CCFL mod" tonight and post some pictures soon....

9. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I think I have a solution for you. I found a six inch cable that will compliment your original work. I pm'd you with a pic.

10. modsquad

Thanks Sho...

11. modsquad

Lighting Experiment

Yesterday I installed my BFG Fx6800Ultra with it's Aqua-Computer AquagraFx h20 block. As I am using 8/10mm compression fittings and not AC's standard Plug/Cool 6/8mm fittings I was a little concerned about clearance for my tygon tubing. I don't have a source for bent G1/8" compression fittings other than these butt-ugly ones from AlphaCool.
    [​IMG]
    I need to use the straight models, luckly I have "just enough" room to make the bends in the tygon I need.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The area just above the pump is going to be very congested once I add the tubing from the pump outlet to the AC Cuplex EVO CPU block, but I will worry about that later.
    On to lighting.. I debated long and hard about the front-lighting I was using.
    [​IMG]
    As someone said a few post back "it's over the top"....and I agree. No front panel lighting.. But the color is another problem ORANGE (I want RED). Firehed came up with the idea of rapping red cellophane around the CCFL. It works, but at a cost.. brightness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So, next up.. Leds the EZ way out is one of these.
    [​IMG]
    It is (3) 5mm leds you can plug into a standard molex plug (laserlight is there name I think)..With the LaserLight in a low position and the 4" CCFL moved to the top of the case I am getting the color and look I want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the shadow on the face of my partner in crime. It's from the tubing coming off the AC GPU H20 block. I need to fix that......tomorrow

12. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

i have to say, this case is coming along extremely well... keep up the GREAT work

13. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

:naughty: This is one ... OWNAGE COMPUTER CASE D00D !!!111oneoneone

keep up the awesome work dude, might get an invitiation to start working for some company one day :thumb:

14. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Can't say anything alse that ou7blaze already said. This mod owns!!

15. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

your case is amazing! but i would try iluminating the window from the side with the laser LEDs.

16. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Modsquad,
    As Acid Burn says, you will get very uniform (that word again...lol) lighting throughout your Window panel with say 2 high-bright red leds on each side. That way the light will cause the etched areas to light up very well, but all else should have a normal light-red sheen.

Keep up the great work, some very good (and expensive) ideas for someone to work from.... ;)

Later.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Glad the lighting worked out really well for you :) Looks awesome. Maybe to de-shadow add in a piece of smoked plexi about 1cm back from the innermost piece as it is (the etch or the red one?) and add in some LEDs between those to really backlight the etch.

Stupid question maybe, but have you thought of having the watercooling loop pump->gpu->cpu->rest inetead of pump->cpu->gpu->rest? Looks like it would make fitting in the tubing so much easier with the pump out right below the GPU in, and better temps on the 6800, albeit with somewhat higher temps on the CPU.

18. Cybertronic

Cybertronic What's a Dremel?

What brand is this IDE cable? Does it only have 2 connectors? :confused:

Very nice project overall!, looking forward to it being finished :)

19. modsquad

Sorry I don't remember the brand, but I purchased it from
    http://www.highspeedpc.com/
    It is only for one device..
    Thanks for the feedback on the lighting guys. As the update title stated this was an experiment. At this point my main concern was color, I will play with position later. I picked up another G1/4" LED plug for the reservoir as well as a dual LED pigtail for the Aquaero.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The LED pigtail is (1) red and (1) blue. With the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD I will set the red LED for always on and set up the blue LED to only come on and the red LED to go off if the machine would reach a very high temp. So it will be a visual warning system..Pretty neat I think..

20. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Just so you know, Norgren have the elbow connectors you may have needed for the GPU waterblock. They have a whole ranger of compression fittings so you shouldn't have a problem finding the right size.

They refer to them as 'Push-on fittings' not compression, but it's easy enough to locate them. :thumb: