1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project C3PO - My Linux jukebox

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by papeniglio, 8 Apr 2004.

1. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Humm... wel installed bftpd and it runs and i can connect to it:D but i've created a new usr: ftp. This user hasen't got any permissions so if i want to create a new dir it says: permission denied! The home dir of user ftp i've set to /usr/ftp. Does any one of you got the solution of how to set permissions?;)
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  2. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Check your /usr/ftp directory: if you issue a

Code:
    ls -la /usr
    command you'll see that the ftp directory has root as owner and root as group; so you must change the owner of that directory:

Code:
    chown -R ftp /usr/ftp
    Now you should be able to log in...

3. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

I can't get the second question, anyway you can edit IRMP3 playlists logging onto your linux box (either physically or remotely with telnet or ssh); playlists are plain text files and you can use nano to modify them.

4. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

:thumb: Nice explanation. And remember DjFuzz, man is your friend.

5. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Yes i know and papeniglio has endless patience :thumb: he helped me through the whole proces as you can see in this thread i couldn't have done it without him! idd he's d@ man! so af few :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: + many thanks 2 papeniglio ;) i'll try the stuff as soon as my linux rig is ready compiling his new alsa drivers for my new SB Live 5.1 (was very cheap so i bought it ;) 25 euros!) very curious about the sound it is going to give under linux :eek:!
    :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  6. THDBASED

THDBASED What's a Dremel?

1) Yes, but the problem is that the original switch of my old CD player has 6 wires. Or didn't you use the original switch circuit of that cd player?

2) Thanks I'll google to find out...

7. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

WOW i really love mpg321 -> mpg123 was full of bugs and now my jukebox works like a charm! YES! even with ftp :D (Thanks 2 the command of papeniglio). Now i would like to do 2 more things before i'm statisfied:

Just install telnet server on linux box
    make it power off when system has been halted i've found the following software to preform that job: ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/daemons/init/ it is called: sysvinit. Could i use it with my distro? MMM curios it said when i'd tried to compile it: Error and something with 'Wall' or something but i'll try it again as soon as i've more time.
    What do you think papeniglio should it work? are you fammiliar with sysvinit?

8. Shwang

Shwang What's a Dremel?

(Probably) Just a few more question, how small is your install of CORE? Would it fit on a 64 or 128mb CF disk?

How fast does yours boot on a 475mhz comp?

And you answered my question about editing the playlists remotely through telnet or SSH

9. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

The kernel itself coud fit an 8MB CF card, but with 128MB you can install almost all the system binaries... (It's just my opinion)

My box boots in about 8 seconds, but the POST takes 5 seconds more, so the total is 13 seconds.

10. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

System V Init is a particular way some *nix systems boot up; don't know if you can use it on Core, because the init sequence it uses is quite different....

The "-Wall" option is a particular directive passed to the C/C++ compiler; the error you get is probably due to a wrong gcc command line.

11. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

:D well everything works now incl telnet :D
    Hmm :sigh: should be cewl if it powersoff itself after system has halted, is there any other way to achieve that?
    And on more thing: i would like to play internet radio (http://www.di.fm) but when i give the command:

mpg123 http://www.di.fm/mp3/vocaltrance56k.pls it says:

http_open: Resource temporarily unavailable
    http://www.di.fm: No such file or directory

I can ping to internet ip adresses but he doesn't understand the http stuff i think. What should i do?

Last edited: 13 May 2004
  12. THDBASED

Another questions I wanted to ask you:

What PSU are you using? I'm looking for a small PSU that could handle a full sized CD-rom. A normal sized one is to big and the ones from mini-itx.com (http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=10#p1804) do not allow a full sized CD-rom, they say it would damage the PSU!

13. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

The PSU I've used in this project is a plain 145W PSU from the old CompaQ Presario; you can use any ATX power supply in my opinion...

14. THDBASED

That's a small PSU for a compaq! I know I can use any PSU, but the problem is that normal PSU's are to big to fit my case...Shuttle has small PSU's but I can't find an online shop that ships to Belgium...

15. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

You can get a standard PSU and throw away the casing: if you change the fan with a smaller one and remove all the unnecessary cables, you can get very small dimensions...

16. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

Really a nice job!!!! :rock:

(sottoscrivo l'argomento!! :D )

17. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

Great work. Gotta love linux 5 mb :D

Still trying to get my own graphic lcd to work on linux.

18. markp

markp What's a Dremel?

Your DNS might not be set up correctly. The location for setting them varies between distros. On Debian, I know it's /etc/resolv.conf. I've not played much with Linux other than in a server capacity (mostly apache and DNS), so apologise if this is something related to mpg123.

19. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

<italian>Hey, grazie per aver "rivitalizzato" il mio log!!!! Ormai il progetto è chiuso, ma sto già pensando alla seconda versione......</italian>

20. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

<italian> e di che!! <italian>

I like the case too!!