1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Eterne

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zesti, 4 Sep 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Aww damn. I was in love with this project! :(

What will you be doing with the case?

2. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Thanks guys anyway. :) No idea yet what I'm doing with it..

Took me this long to officially discontinue this project since I was expecting/fearing reaction like this.. :) But really, I'm not very fond of ATX form factor nowadays and will 'downsize' to smaller ones. I can't justify buying new hardware that I won't need just for this project.. And I currently have only very little hardware - no another machine where to steal parts to this one.

Passion for modding and building is still here and possibly stronger than ever, but I won't waste my time finishing system that doesn't work or would go straight to the darkest closet. :D

3. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Why not using this project as a base of new one?

It is half done,and it is such a waste of beautiful mod. So chop it and make it smalle for the FF you like. :)

C'mon don't give up.

4. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

It is perhaps a little extreme to question your love of modding. I will be sad not to see this one finished (maybe send it to Keir or alain-s or someone to finish if it youre REALLY done with it).

5. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Little bit more background behind this just for you guys. I probably thought this way too much so this is also to clear my own thoughts.. ;)

Not as much work is wasted as it might seem.. I think that the motherboard 'tray', logos, PSU bracket etc. can be reused in later builds. Might be even possible to reuse heatsinks from the CIVF!

I was going to use this system through 2013, but hardware chose differently. I could buy used motherboard etc, but I rather sell what's left and get a kickstart onto a new project with more modern hardware. :)

Another exciting thing is that it's about 8 months to Assembly Summer '13 LAN-party. I wasn't going to build another system and just take ZOE to LAN-parties next year. But now I might aswell build a new LAN-party (+HTPC) system! I do have some old liquid cooling hardware and thinking about Mini-ITX with liquid cooling..

All this just means I'll have to start sketching a new system.. :lol:

6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Awesome work man, sorry to hear its cancelled its looks so clean.
    I do understand though, sometimes there is just no salvaging a build, no matter how hard you try. Respect to you for making a clean cut and moving on !

7. Twisthem488

Twisthem488 What's a Dremel?

Lurker here

Zesti, I LOVE your craftsmanship! You somehow put grace into metal. As someone who has never worked with materials like aluminum and who is inspired by what you do, could I ask some advice?

What kind of tools do you think are necessary to start out working with aluminum like you have? I'm wondering what your cutting tool is, but I assume metal files, a hand drill, some taps, and sandpaper? Looking forward to the next thing you decide to create.

8. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Thank you guys!

Twisthem488, I'm using very basic tools: jigsaw, files, drill, taps, sandpaper and that's about it. :)

I'm really happy my small mod got nominated. And that really forces me to continue.. :thumb:

I ended up dropping my Crosshair IV Formula to RMA even after hearing all kind of a horror stories. But everything went really well - no even compalints about missing stickers etc. Took a little over two weeks and now I have repaired motherboard. :rock: Nice bonus too - new 3029 BIOS seems to have support for the FX8350.

So all in all, I just have to continue. Can't let you guys down after being nominated for mod of the month. Luckily I have long weekend because of Finlands Independence day. New photos coming asap. Some changes can be expected too..

9. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

woohoo! :clap:

10. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

such a good build while it lasted, but i see your point of view, i have a few month old 600T in the closet which im most likely not gonna use anymore and its too cut to pieces to sell :D

11. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Zesti,you see? Good things happend when you decide to continue. ;)

12. TadZilla

TadZilla tadbitnerdy

Amazing work! I finished reading about Project ZOE, and just went through this one. Though I'm glad this project is now active again, I do agree with discontinuing a project you know longer have the need to continue (or interest, or resources, or whatever). The quicker you realize a project is heading nowhere, the sooner you can scrap it and move on to something else. Again though, I'm glad to see this project is alive again!

-Tad

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Good for you man !
    Looking forward to updates!

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow, you came close to canceling this one, would have been a shame to cancel this, :eeek: it's a very nice project mate, glad asus replaced it for you. :D:clap:

15. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Thank you guys! :thumb:

Tadzilla, yeah, I don't have any real use for this system, but all the components are now just sitting here.. I might as well build a working system. Plus my parents could use a HTPC. :D

For HTPC use I need to get some new parts like WLAN USB-thingy etc, but those won't affect the looks at all. However for colors I'll go for black and silver - those will work well with the interior and AV-hardware. Even dark'ish wood like oak could work and it would be rather easy to add into this system. Hmm.

Cleaned motherboard a bit.. Again. No more barcode stickers etc. :)

[​IMG]

Mounting graphics card is a bit interesting since memory, 6pins and 24pin are so close to each other. I might need to modify 6pins for 90° angle.

[​IMG]

I will soon order a new low profile memorykit - old one is 'Black Edition' memory and still has lame green PCB. :D I'm also rethinking CPU cooling. Custom loop would be cool, but there's hardly any space for pump. On the other hand H100i would work very well if I just get tubes routed nicely.. And if they are long enough.

16. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Looking great!

17. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

A lot of people have modded their h100 to add longer tubing or a res. The posts i have seen seem to imply it wasnt too difficult.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

In fact, it's not a bad idea, since the hoses leaking or the coolant drying up is 90% of what makes the sealed units fail.
    Glad to see this re-started.:D

19. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

You must carry on this build, it's just awesome!! Some seriously nice metal work going on there!!

20. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

whoa...get this back up! update please! :D