1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Gattaca

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DeadMan, 17 Mar 2010.

1. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

I am about to embark on a new project, turning and old G5 Apple PowerMac case into a PC, well actually a Mac Pro.

Parts List:

Case(s):
    G5 PowerMac Case: (Ebay)
    Donor Case: Coolermaster ATC-201
    Parts: Antec 900

Components:
    CPU: Intel Q6600 @3ghz

Motherboard: Asus Blitz Formula SE
    RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix
    HDD: Seagate 80GB 7200.9
    GFX: Nvidia 9400GT 512MB
    PSU: X-Power 500w
    DVD/RW: Samsung 20x SATA DVD/RW
    Soundcard: Asus SupremeFX II

Retail OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

2. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Chop Shop:

First thing to do is strip out everything from the case that is getting in the way, a nice blank canvas.
    [​IMG]

Use a jigsaw of a Dremel (I prefer a Dremel with a disc cutter) to cut out the hole for the motherboard tray, also remove all the old motherboard stand offs apart from 2 which you will need to fix the new tray to the side panel.
    [​IMG]

I am using an aluminium removable tray from a donor case.
    [​IMG]

Test fit the tray and make sure it sits square in the case and look for possible fixing options
    [​IMG]

Stand back and view your handy work :)
    [​IMG]

Reference shot.
    [​IMG]

Another reference shot.
    [​IMG]

Shake it baby!
    [​IMG]

And one more for good luck.
    [​IMG]

3. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Assembly:

The upper panel of a G5 powermac (when hdd bays and fans are removed) is exactly the right size for mounting the PSU. I used 5 double sided sticky pads on the bottom of the PSU to stick it to the bottom of the panel so it would not slip around. Make sure the power switch is set to "on" and plug in a power cable and route it down the back of the panel.
    [​IMG]

Fit a normal DVD drive and make sure there is a power plug ready for it. Route the rest of the power cables / ATX plugs through a convenient hole at the rear of the DVD drive.
    [​IMG]

As the cable is routed behind the motherboard tray all you need to do now is re-attach the door latching mechanism and fix back the top tray to the chassis.
    [​IMG]

Fix back the clear perspex latch to the top tray and make sure it fits properly. Now the chassis resembles a PC more and rest is pretty much as a normal PC build.
    [​IMG]

Drill and fix the motherboard tray to the internal 2 stand offs we left and screw the back panel to the chassis making sure nothing moves around.

Cut out and fit a chassis plug to the rear panel and fix it in place.
    [​IMG]

Wire up the chassis plug to the PSU plug cable and make sure its covered with insulation or a purpose made rubber boot which will stop you getting electrocuted, it is the most dangerous part in the case so pay special attention here!
    [​IMG]

I wired the front panel connectors USB/Firewire/Audio/Power button and LED up to several accessory cables I had around which had normal PC fittings to attach to the motherboard, shrink rapped them and covered the bundle in black braiding.

Fit the motherboard/processor/ram/graphics etc.. and find a good place to fix down a HDD (I used a 3.5" adapter tray from an Antec 900)

I replaced the Apple rear fan with a MUCH quieter YS-tech 80mm fan which also moved a lot more air.
    [​IMG]

Next up is cooling, I used the front fan inserts from an Antec 900 and attached Scythe HDD stabalizer rubber mounts to them and then drilled and fixed them to the perspex cover.
    [​IMG]

Braided the fan cables which are nice and long and plugged them into the the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Attached the perspex cover back to the case and forget about cooling problems :)
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the wind tunnel :) The fans are controlled by the motherboard temperature sensors.
    [​IMG]

Case side back on and locked into place.
    [​IMG]

Plug it in a test everything works!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Mar 2010
  4. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

5. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Aye! was my inspiration for building a "borrowed ladder" :)

6. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Just changed the Intel heatsink/fan to an Akasa Evo 120 + 120mm to 80mm duct onto the rear exhaust fan and dropped temps by 11c :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]