1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Green Dragon | major delay | Updated 10/2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Acid Burn, 12 May 2004.

?

Should I Insert an engraved window in my front door?

Poll closed 7 Jun 2004.
  1. Yes! Yes! Yes!

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. No... just bondo the door smooth

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

hihi I have no clue what you are talking about mate :D I think you have to rephrace... :)

2. Acid Burn

Hi thom :) I'll try again...
    Thanks for liking my mod :) I have not done the top yet, but for the side door I first masked off the backside of the door with masking tape. Then I drawed the jagged edges. Then I used a dremel to cut it all out.

I noticed a minor mistake on my mod a few days ago.. i have cut the edges too near the edge of the door... I'll post pictures tomorrow (the current time here is 02:40 in the morning so I'm very tired)... My friend and I have found a solution though... Stay tuned! :hip:

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

(bit o/t) What I meant by a spectrum analyser was almost exactally what you were thinking of with the LED's up the front of the case, but showing sound levels, not sure if there's a better name for it. Now you mention it, maybe I'll try making it multifunctional so I can moniter other stuff as well (cpu temp, fan speed etc.)
    I can't imagine what the plexi would look like when you paint the back and side light it, it'll be interesting to see. Possibly you could use some of that reflective foil that some people use to make their car windows silvered. That might look cool, but it might not be what you're after though...

4. Acid Burn

yeah the window tint might look good :) well... If I decide to insert an engraved window in the front door, I won't make it before after my exams:)

5. Acid Burn

Hi!
    Here are the pics of my problem...

As you can see I have cut the jagged edge too close the edge of the door... this results in that I will have a problem closing the door when I have installed the window on the cackside of the door...
    [​IMG]

Here's what I'm going to do though.. I'm going to cut away this edge of the case, If it becomes a problem closing the door..
    [​IMG]

(Thanks to my friend, Anders, for the idea :))

6. bamsefar

bamsefar What's a Dremel?

Or you might do as I've done, placing the acrylic on the outside of the door.
    No more cuts from the edges atleast.. ;)

7. Acid Burn

yeah, hehe. that's a possibility.. but that would change the looks of my case... I kind of want it to look agressive or evil (or some thing like that) :p
    Thanks for the idea though :)

8. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

I say keep the plexy on the inside

Cheers,
    Mike

9. Acid Burn

So do I :)

Update:

I hace now cut the fan duct to an appropriate size :p sorry about the blurry pics.

Before:
    (I marked where I was suposed to cut with a decoration knife)
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Tool bench:
    [​IMG]

10. Acid Burn

UPDATE

Hi y'all!
    Earlier tonight I cut out the hole for the fanduct in the front.
    Here are the pics:

First I masked off the hole:
    [​IMG]

Then I cut out the hole with my dremel and then melted away the remnants of the bars:
    [​IMG]

Here's the bit I used to melt down the remnants of the bars... I just ran it at a high speed on my dremmel...
    [​IMG]

Here's the hole with the fan duct inside. fits aaaaaaaaaalmost like a glove, ehh? :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Here are the bars I cut away together with some of the compund i got after melting away the remnants.
    [​IMG]

Here I just inserted the front onto the cese to show you how it's going to look (well I'm going to change some things)
    [​IMG]

Things to do tomorrow:
    * Melt off a little more of the sides so the fan duct will be a perfect circle (not an oval one like now).
    * Cut some of the case so the fan will be as dead center as possible.
    * Study for my social sience exam on friday, in the norwegian school.
    * Study for my US- History exam on tuesday on the american school.
    * take a refreshening dip in our pool :D

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Nice work, can not wait to see what you do with it. The bondo should be easy but take your time and do a good job and you will get the results that you want and have a nice looking front...

12. Acid Burn

Thanks. I'll take my time :) can some one tell or show me the difference between bondo and putty? :blush: I'm not quite sure of the difference :eyebrow:

13. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

A suggestion onto the top of what My58vw said, try to make the bondo work as fast as possible, wait lemme rephrase that. Work the bondo rather fast, as it tends to dry rather quickly and clump on you. If you don't want to waste any excess bondo. Make sure you only make a small 3 inch area of the grey matter, and about 1-1/4" of the hardner. if you follow that rule you will always work it together fast enough to apply it before drying. how i like to do it is, put down the hardner in a line, then i add the grey matter to the side of it, then taking my applying utensil, i mix them thouroughly. do this and it works best! GL!

14. Acid Burn

Thanks pal! I really need advice on how to apply the bondo, and what brand I should buy, or what I should look for. do you have a picture of the compound you used?

All hints and tips on how to apply or use the bondo or putty are welcome! :thumb:

15. Acid Burn

Thread to create poll

<bigz> threads merged :thumb:</bigz>

Last edited by a moderator: 31 May 2004
  16. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Uv

UV light should look good on the inside of this baby... don't you think??

17. Acid Burn

UV light is the only light (exept for the llight from the LED fans) in this computer... I'm going to add a uv green water dye to my water. and all my rounded ide/floppy cables are uv green aswell..

BTW when you quote... please cut away the pictures :)

18. Acid Burn

If I decide to inert an engraved window in my front door; this is the dragon I will engrave:

[​IMG]

19. msb

msb What's a Dremel?

I think that will look better if you put something back of frontpanel, those grid there looks bad I think. Black or green.

20. Acid Burn

Little update...

Hi!
    Today I just melted off a little more of the sides so the fan duct would be a perfect circle. I also cut some of the case so the fan would be as dead center as possible.

Here's the hole as it is now..
    [​IMG]

I'm wondering if I should use this fangrill or have no fangrill...
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Should I keep the fangrill? :rolleyes: