1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project Hexagon?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RasmusAnden, 20 May 2008.

1. RasmusAnden

RasmusAnden What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

I've been lurkin' around the forums for a while, and followed several project logs, and i've wanted to do a scratchbuild casemod since i saw the first mods in here, but i've been completely blank on ideas for a case mod, but now i think i finally got an idea on how the case should look, and a few internal details. :)

So the idea is to make a computer inspired by the DELL XPS 720, and roughly the same dimensions. it's going to be watercooled. (yay :lol:)
    and the colorsheme is darkgrey/black and green.

the sketches are made in SketchUp, and since i'm kinda generally software retarded, they are not... pretty, but i hope you'll get an idea of how it will look. ;)

Link - case externals
    this is my idea of how the case will look, but since it's the first time for me using SketchUp, i didn't figured out how to round the edges on the sides of the case. :grr:
    the hexagon pattern on the case is supposed to be on the angled sides too, i just didn't figured out how to do that aswell.

Link - case interior
    this is the basic idea of how the case interior will look like. (eksplained)
    the big red box is where i'm thinking of putting a radiator for the WC loop.

comments and critics welcome! :)

2. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

I don't understand what the reason for using sata,scsi and ide hard drives. but the external design is nice is it going to be made completely out of mesh?

Last edited: 20 May 2008
  3. RasmusAnden

#2 - the HDD's is just because i have those disk's mentioned. - it's going to be made so there are 9 x 3,5" HDD bays. :)

it's not going to be made out of mesh, i'm just going to made a hexagon mesh pattern on the case with paint i think.. haven't figured it completely out yet.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The outside design is good. Those drives are going to get hot. This is the first time I've heard of someone being inspired by a DELL.:hehe: I personally hate the green hardware.
    With that tiny bit of space for watercooling, Your best bet is to vent the radiator out the top or a short, thick rad in the floor, with the pump mounted just over it.

5. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Going to be tight to watercool but a bit of ingenuity will get it all in there

6. RasmusAnden

#4 - yea, i know it's weird but it's actually the only dell that have ever catched my eye. :p
    i have a deal with a friend that promised me that i could get a car heatercore (or whatever it's called) for free, so depending on the size of the rad i will have to decide where it's gonna be. :)

EDIT: do you think the drives are going to get too hot? - i can't see why, cause i'm putting a 120 x 38 mm fan in the front of each section of disks, as shown on the pic.

#5 - it was just my first idea on where to put it? :p

Last edited: 21 May 2008