1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lumière Noire by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 8 Apr 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks, bro! Popcorn, eh? Wish we had a popcorn icon to drop in here, lol.

Hahaha, thanks Craig!

Thanks, man! Glad to see ya back on the boards!

Thanks, Skullen! I appreciate it!

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

4. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

HAHA. :hehe:

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Haha, thats it! :hehe:

6. steelkane

steelkane It's Not Just A Box

outstanding design, I really like the way all your plexiglass work turns out. as for all your mods,, top notch

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

July 23rd Small Update!

Well, here we are again. I have a handful of small stuff I wanted to up before a huge update that's on the horizon for the system. I would've modded a lot more yesterday, but we had a terrible storm ravage the area last night and lost power, so I was a mod-junky without a fix! I just went home early and watched a couple films on Blu-Ray before calling it a night.

Anyways, here's what I have to offer. I know....light and weak, right? :lol:

First off, I marked out and cut some AC Ryan metal mesh I had laying around that I'm using behind the acrylic front grill. I used my previous cut template to make a new easy-cut stencil for the mesh to drop right in. I'll be sanding this down and coating it; probably either gloss black or gunmetal. I haven't decided yet.

[​IMG]

I also started cutting out some areas on the chassis to accommodate the now lower-sitting PA 120.3 rad. This is in the midst of cutting.

[​IMG]

I also cut a little notch out of the stock IDE frame to allow wiring to duck in and out of almost unseen, for wire-management reasons.

[​IMG]

And I did some final hole drilling before the coating of the chassis proper. I needed to mark out and drill for the HDD caddy I had made a while back, and to allow room for the front PA 120.2 rad as well as the PSU in the back. I decided I'm going to use Lian Li's newly-released awesome PSU bracket extension to alleviate the problem of wire connections to the end of the PSU entirely. It's funny; it's like they know or something. :hehe: Lian Li, are you reading my mind?! :worried: :hehe: *wraps tin foil around my cranium*

Marked out...

[​IMG]

And drilled. Fitted in place to see where I'm at. Installed perfect!

[​IMG]

I also went ahead and installed my (now aging) e6850 on the mobo along with the D-Tek Fuzion block and new barbs, and assembled the mobo on the tray. Should I be alarmed that something made a loud crunch sound when I cranked the posts on the block? I'm kidding. :lol: It's almost an optical illusion, being the board's a full ATX board on that tray. It looks almost like it's a small board on a huge tray or something.

I have work #2's workload tonight, and I'll be on it until around 2am or so. Ugh. Not looking forward to that. At all. :waah: I'd rather be moddin' than workin'. Just like those bumper stickers about fishing: "I Say We Mod 5 days and Work Two!"

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

Last edited: 23 Jul 2008
  8. thermalnightmare47

thermalnightmare47 What's a Dremel?

looking good one of my favorites currently

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

What do you get when you mix a Lian Li, black plexi and an awesome modder...well project Lumière Noire of course lol. A truly fantastic mod, keep up your excellent work.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

where do you work, what you do?

The project is coming along nicely, soon i shall come over and steal it off you!

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thank you kindly!

Hahaha, thanks man. I will.

Hahahaha... I'm a graphic designer and screenprinter; i.e. t-shirt maker! I work at-- wait.... :nono: Ooooooh, no. I'm not revealing that tidbit of info! :hehe:

12. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

He makes kick ass T-shirts from a secret Layer :hip:

Back to the log, Nice ideas going on here dude!

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The E.E.L. Cave, a secret location known to few. It's still under construction, will get around to a ceiling someday! LOL. My lips are sealed but bribes in US currency might work.
    John

14. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one E.E.L,looking good :thumb:

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahahaha, thanks man! I'm hoping for a buttoned-up finish on this log soon!

Hahahaha, the ceiling's for another day. Just keep my lair a secret! You don't want the Mod-Police to come snooping around, do ya? ;)

Thanks, man!

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

July 25th Small Update!

Alrighty, another update. I'll get right to it. I wants ta get on home!

I went ahead and got off my lazy ass and got the chassis coated. I hate sanding. :( I really need a nice media-blasting booth... hmm.... :)

All done.

[​IMG]

And I jumped right into assembling/reassembling the case. First, I installed Bill's kick-ass case feet on the chassis. Beaut!

[​IMG]

Then I started installing stuff to make sure everything's in the right spot. I'll crank down the screws finally when I'm all done.

[​IMG]

I don't have another PA 120.2 gasket, nor do I want to pay $2 for it along with $8 to ship it, so I made one. I just used my rad template I have saved, and made a similar one for it by cutting it out with an exacto knife. Not perfect, but certainly does the trick. Besides, you won't see it when the case is finally buttoned up.

[​IMG]

Next up, I installed my Matrix Orbital unit in it's final home. I ran out of black M3 nuts, so I had to use silver. Doesn't matter, as it gets covered up anyways. Dropped in perfect, along with rubber washers on the inside...just in case. Actually, it is in a case! :D

[​IMG]

And a shot of it from the inside...

[​IMG]

After that I installed the front dual rad. I'm not really diggin' the Filterights on it this time around though. :eyebrow: I think the mesh going in front of them behind the front acrylic will be plenty and allow more flow anyways. If dust becomes an issue, I'll think of something else. :hehe: Check out the cracked frame on one of the filters. LOL.

[​IMG]

Shot from the inside...

[​IMG]

Up next was the HDD caddie. An easy method to mount this heavy thing is to push the bolts through the bottom side and install a rubber washer holding the bolt on. Works great. Then I simply drop it through the chassis and thread on an M5 nut. All done, and it's isolated from the chassis. The HDD's are basically silent anyways, but this may help as well.

[​IMG]

Installed the custom PSU blanking plate...

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm not diggin' the Filterights at all. I'm going for a very stealthy feel, so I'm going to ditch these and drop in some simple mesh guards on it. Of course, I'm going to gunmetal it. :D

[​IMG]

Well, off to home. I got some gamin' to do, as well as watch some flicks. Not to mention some ice-cold Coronas in the fridge. *sigh* What an end to a 'lovely' work-week.

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

17. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Awesome work, Jeremy! :thumb:

As usual, a good healthy coat of baked on powder does a case some good. That, combined with Bill's custom feet, looks absolutely stunning. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the filters. I think they look way good as is. But, as always, you'll make that extra stride for perfection and find a way to make them look even better. Until then, I can't wait!

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The black looks beautiful and the re-assembly is coming along nicely. This will be a beauty once it is all done.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, Brandon! I appreciate it, man. I'm on the fence about the filters, but I think I'm going to go to just mesh. I'll see. Or, we'll see. Or something, lol.

Thanks, mate! I'm hoping to get it all buttoned up real soon.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice chassis. However, I really ain't "diggin" those grills.

Agreed on Bills feet though!

Tags: