1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Niceee :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

keep on the good working

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, another small update.

I've thought long and hard about case lighting. I wanted a nice accent light to highlight the pretty engineering stuff, but without turning it into a '80s Disco (the mirror ball inside a PC case has been done anyway). Moreover, in keeping with the overall theme of the case I want to keep it looking fairly functional. And as much as I like purple and blue LEDS, none of those. I tried --it doesn't look right. And again, it's been done.

So I stuck with the white LEDs. It doesn't need many --just a well-aimed few in a nice tidy housing --enter LazerLEDs. :D White ones are an absolute nightmare to find but I managed to get what may be the last one in the UK...

So, once I managed to get my hands on this essential, delicate, rare item --I modded it. :dremel: Why? To hide the wiring, of course!

Here it is, opened up for those who wonder what one looks like on the inside (the braid was added by me):

[​IMG]

A bit of drillage with my laser-guided drill press. "Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die! Muhahahahahah!!!" --Er. Sorry. Lasers do that to me... :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wires looped through the hole.

[​IMG]

Braiding back in place, the end result:

[​IMG]

...and mounted in place with some hex screws (M3, 16mm long, for those who need to know).

[​IMG]

Looking tasty, even in daylight:

[​IMG]

Overall pimp shot, so you can see how it co-ordinates with the white Res LED.

[​IMG]

Now on to the window. I have some interesting plans for that. Expect to see something that has never been done before... If it works out the way I planned it, it should be pretty spectacular. :naughty:

3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

looking good nexxo

4. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

looking realy good:p

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Lovely subtle lighting, love it :D

6. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

nice - they from ebuyer?

7. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Great mod! :jawdrop:

If you don't mind me asking, what make/model drillpress is that? I'm on the market for one at the moment, and I like the idea of a laser guide.

8. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to it much! and also :thumb: to the little detail with the LazerLeds.

Keep a low speed so you whont make the modd before sombody dies :rolleyes:

Rock on!

9. Nexxo

Nope, from clickonit.com, but they sold out. eBuyer does them too, at knock-down prices, but not in white, unfortunately.

It's a B7Q Pro Redeye CLM250LDP. It was £19,79 in the sale. You can still get it in some outlets for about £40,-- at the moment --the product code is 0502 7019.

10. grumblemarc

grumblemarc What's a Dremel?

Wow. I did the same thing with leds on an old Antec case. The effect was bangin'. I didn't have a laser guided drill press to work with though.

11. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Can't believe this is still going since 2003 LOL

Looks er?? good :)

- S

12. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Wow just noticed tht :D looks nice tho - i think you should use clear water looks much more 'cleaner' imo :)

13. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

why would he do that when he has flourinert which is completely non conductive?

14. Nexxo

Yeah, yeah yeah... The problem as always is that Real Life keeps interfering. I've had several housemoves, job changes, getting married, rebuilding a bathroom and kitchen from scratch, and a very demanding job (well, two, actually). Not to mention the more exotic stuff took sourcing, ordering from far ends of the globe, begging with companies, saving up for all this stuff...

Remember, many bits in this project were custom-made, or bits made for the commercial manufacturing market, not the individual buyer. I had to source precisely the right parts for precisely the right reasons (some are not so obvious, perhaps, but two Opteron 250s and a Radeon 9800 making good temps on a single, quiet BIX setup does not come from just slapping a loop together. Some very specific principles were involved). And Metaversa is my first mod ever, and certainly my first liquid-cooled system ever, so there was a lot of research involved. And I do not have a garage or workshop... :sigh:

Inbetween I was the only neuropsychologist for an in-patient brain injury rehabilitation ward, now one of only three in the UK for deaf people with mental health problems, and lately I'm trying to set up a psychological support service for cancer patients accross two hospitals. I am just finishing a scientific article for publication and presentation on two conferences (one abroad) and have to bang out a book chapter (on the catchy subject of: neuropsychological factors in challenging behaviours in deaf mental health patients). By May, please.

Trust me, I have little time for modding. It is a hobby, but not one I get to turn to very often. Even now I have to start talking to a firm to see if they can do what I want done for the window, finish the article, go abroad for my work next week, spend some time with my wife before she forgets what I look like (she has lots of work on at the moment, too, so our time is precious).

Anyway, modding is a process. Enjoy the journey, not just the result. :)

15. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Short version: He has a pretty interesting Social Life. The *******! :thumb:

16. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

850 = PCIe though :idea:... I got one if you need one :thumb:

17. Nexxo

They are bringing out an AGP version with a Rialto bridge chip. Conveniently the bridge chip is on the top side of the card and passively cooled, so it doesn't interfere with a regular Maze4GPU block.

Alternatively, there is always the new MSI K8N Master 2: a dual Opteron board exactly like the K8T Master 2Far, with exactly the same CPU hole mountings, layout etc., except that it is SLI. :naughty: Which is nice.

18. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

:eeek: I think I just found my new board, good thing too because I'm making a new mounting block for my waterblock (DD TDX) so that it supports a variety of mounting holes. Any idea when it's suppose to show up?

19. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Are you just made of money? What would that make it, the third mobo this project has seen (or fourth, I can not remember)?

20. Holley

Holley What's a Dremel?

WOWZER :jawdrop: thats some great modding skills you got there, the hose ends are a nice touch indeed. Respect returned :rock:
    BTW were did you manage too find an lcd screen that size too fit the 3 1\4
    bays, If you don't mind me asking what size of the screen is that?