1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Monolith (Completed Pics Page 4)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigr1982, 30 Jun 2006.

1. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

Ok, this post is kind of like a condensed work log as I'm trying to post it everywhere I can to show it off. This is as far as I have got so far but it is looking good.

I wanted a PC that was original and that would look good, I thought about building from scratch but found a cheat. A kit that had all the parts to make whatever I wanted with a mobo tray included for less than it would cost to have the entire thing made from sheet metal.

So I started by buying this kit, called a lubic kit.

http://www.aerocool.us/aerocool-files-v3/lubic/kits/lubic-combo.htm

This kit is a bit of a pain in the a*s to start with, you have to work out where to put sliders in order to mount further pieces and I found myself virtually ripping the entire structure apart just to put in one slider.

Finally I finished my case, Version 1.

As my imagination is slightly limited it was just a basic ATX case on wheels, I didn’t take any pictures as I didn’t like the design. So I dismantled it and started all over again.

This time I had more of an idea what I wanted to do, I started with the top and worked down, mounted the motherboard tray at the top and made it so it slid out, allowing easy access. Then further down still I placed the PSU, now I ended up with an inverted ATX design. The only problems I had were the drive mounts, I wanted to be original so I devised a way to mount the CD’s vertically and place the HD’s vertically below them.

This caused a problem with airflow so I moved the HD’s to the side of the case but still vertical, allowing space for a 140mm fan in the centre.

Now for the screen, the exciting bit.

I tried to get a 12” Touchscreen but found they were too pricey so I settled for a 12” TFT from Ebay.

[​IMG]

Got it and took the casing off, drilled a few holes in the mounting plate and fixed it into my case but portrait not landscape. On the front where normally CD drives would be.

[​IMG]

I rigged a VGA lead internally to give me output and made a connection from a molex to the Power pin I needed, (Not ideal but it will last for a while).

I mounted the rest of my components and then fired it up, the screen worked although still set to landscape.

[​IMG]

After a while of playing around with the Nvidia Desktop I got my screen to run at 600x800 at a 90degree angle at a refresh of 80hz, threw on a RocketDock to allow easy application loading and then it was done.

[​IMG]

From then on I spent about 1 week measuring all the externals so that I could have some Plexi cut. I went on to Ebay again and found some black gloss plexi at 3mm.

It arrived and I talked to friend of mine who has a CNC machine, gave him some drawings with all the measurements I needed, including holes for CD trays, fans etc and send him the plexi.

A few days later my plexi returned all cut and ready to mount, but I needed holes drilling to mount it onto my case.

[​IMG]

Hopefully it will be finished soon.

Pics of the screen in action.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK , I have just finished some more modding and its nearly there. I have cut out 2 holes in the top for usb connections and power, reset etc. I have program that will allow me to open my cd bays from an icon

Cant get my waterblocks made so I will have to buy some. Got to buy 2 xeon waterblocks and a dual 120mm rad. works out about £105 plus I want to change both my cd drives and I think SATA will be better, looking at the top scorer in this months CUSTOMPC mag

Rig from front
    [​IMG]

Rig top with CD open. (not stealthed yet tho )
    [​IMG]

Front and Side Veiw
    [​IMG]

Front other side
    [​IMG]

now the fan at the front is my old one, my new 14cm one hasnt arrived yet. Bloody Royal Mail, what are they playin at??

and my water cooling isnt set up so it runs a little on the warm side. Both CPU's are idling at 45C but it is coming along.

The back panel is the only bit I'm not happy with at the moment. I found an old case that I was going to throw away and rescued the pci slot area to use. That is bolted to the mobo tray so I can pull out the mobo out the back and not have to unscrew anything. Apart from the Plexi to get at it. Looking for thumbscrews for the plexi though.

Im having problems with the VGA lead that goes to the 12" TFT at the moment so Im looking for a smaller one (if something like that exists).

[​IMG]

Sorry about the wires, I couldnt be bothered to turn off and unplug it so just moved it.

Let me know what you think so far.

Edited, pics resized and spelling

Last edited: 21 Feb 2007
  2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

very smooth looking, i like the vertical cd drives. I'm surprised they still run fine like that to be honest though.

Oh and a 56k warning isnt required in the project logs forum, its assumed anyway

3. craigr1982

I think vertical drives are original and they have never failed me (yet). I figure if I have to replace them once a year it will still be worth it for the effect especially when I have stealthed them

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Not to bad a looking acrylic case man :rock:

It is when the picture size is breached as per the rules #5.

5. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Interesting. I wish I had an extra TFT/LCD to spare for a project like this. Good work.

6. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

Nice work simple yet cool :D

7. craigr1982

Glad you like it.

Keep your thoughts coming.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Very nice, is that a Kilx case originally for teh supports?

9. craigr1982

10. sj9ers

sj9ers What's a Dremel?

Your case looks good. I really like the lcd monitor. Do you know where I can order this kit online for the US?

11. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

That is one hell of a TFT mod, the vertical arrangment gives you one hell of a large screen, and, as you did, you can fit a WinAmp window, and the acrylic case is a great one to...

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

13. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

I love that screen!!!

14. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

i love it!

great idea with that lubic kit thing

15. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

16. craigr1982

Glad you like it all, its still not finished though. it needs its watercooling as the weather today is a bit of a killer! So hot that it caused my rig to shut down!! Eeek.

Anyway putting an order in for a 120.2 rad and 2 waterblocks for the cpu's soon.

Keep your comments coming.

17. craigr1982

This modlog is currently suspended as I will be away for 2 weeks, my watercooling is here though so when I return I should be able to complete my project and finish the log.

18. craigr1982

I havent died just things have been hectic since I came back from holiday on sunday.

I did however find some time to do a little modding last night.

I mounted the USB and power / reset switches on the top panel.

[​IMG]

The switches are push button illuminated switches from Maplins and the button it self is 3mm high, the same as my plexi. So they are flush with the top. The green will be my power switch with power led and the reset and hdd activity will be red. The picture doesnt really do it justice so you will have to take my word for it.

It looks good.

19. craigr1982

wow, doesnt feellike this long ago since i posted on this worklog. Sorry guys for the lack of update.

Hit a bit of a stopper at the moment. having trouble fitting my 240mm rad in the case. its 10mm too long!

anyway here is the kit i got.

[​IMG]

Thermochill PA120.2 rad
    2x xeon tdx blocks
    thermotube 6" res
    Laing D4 pump
    1/2" Tubing
    jubilee clips and extras.

I think I will have to have the rad mounted externally but I dont want to spoil the look of the case so maybe at the rear of on top if i have to.
    I was planning to have it mounted on the base of my case but the psu is in the way.

My current idea is to have the pump on the base of the case and the res upright inside. Just need some ideas on fixing this damn rad on.

Any suggestions?

20. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Same way you mount a fan. Get some aluminum pieces maybe angles and make a frame for it.