1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Project: Nakamura

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 5 May 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice.

may i give a recomendation:
    The paper on the side panel looks really blah with that wood, maybe go for something greener or red/oranger? Im talking like a slightely greener hue, like bambuu color. Still though looks amazing!

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Thats just the protective paper covering on the plexi panels he cut. Hes just showing how they fit and hasn't peeled the protection off yet.

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Yes you are correct.

@Teyber: The paper choice is up in the air at the moment so i'm open to suggestions. I might just go with a white rice paper though.

4. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

Hey green,

Just a quick (and dumb) question, but the family crest is the positive (wood) space (throwing star looking thing) as opposed to the negetive (air) space (the three half ying yang type shapes). If it were the latter, you could put one and I think it would flow well, or (if this isn't changing the design too much), even if it was the former, you could do three fan grills, each showing just one of the ying yang negatives rotated 60 degrees each time. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try and make a image of what I'm trying (and quite probably failing) to describe.

P.S.
    As a side note, do you think you could PM me the plans, or at least some kind of idea as to how you built that guitar stand? I comepletely understand if you would rather keep the plans to your self, and either way I'd like to compliment you on quite the stand. It's pretty kick ass.

5. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Drawings would be great. I'm infamously horrible at turning other people's words into something visual. Good question about the symbol though, I'm actually not sure. In all reality, it really doesn't have to be a functional fan grille since there isn't much clearance between the top and the chassis. I really just wanted something to center the design so to speak, along with incorporating the symbol some more.

As for the guitar stand, I actually made a much better version for a client recently. I don't have any plans but I do have that guitar stand with me right now if you want more detailed pictures or something.

Thanks for your help and compliments, its always appreciated.

As far as the case goes, i got jack crap done today but tomorrow should be a different story (we'll see). Stay tuned

6. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

the site looks great.
    all of your projects are just beautiful.
    keep up the great work it is very inspiring.

7. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

I like the elegant curves. How do you cut them? With a router and a template or free hand?

8. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

awesome work as usual! that last teaser looks niccceeee :D
    shame to hear about sangaku :waah: how is she now?
    is yuugou back together again? or is she still waiting on a new psu?
    ahemsilverstoneahem maybe a nice sponsor can throw you a nice psu!

9. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks a lot guys. Me inspiring you inspires me to work more, I call that the circle of inspiration... or something :lol: Seriously though its great and the best thing I can hope for.

@Pfaffen: The template/router thing would work if i had a router table that took 1/2 inch shank bits but its a piece of old crap so it doesn't. Yuugou actually has templates for all its curves. For this one though, I just blew up the drawings, cut out the paper, traced it, did some fine bandsaw work, and sanded it, evening out the cut if it needed it which for the most part it didn't. ... I still need a new router and router table though.

@mvagusta: Sangaku is still in pieces. She's sitting on my dresser now awaiting for the insurance morons to get back to me so i can get my money and rebuild her. As far as Yuugou goes, I need to bug silverstone to see if the PSU problem is my crappy wiring or their crappy psu so I'm going to have them send a new 24 pin and 8 pin cable to check. Right now my cooler master is still ghetto rigged to it, but hey, it works :naughty: And its freaking nice to have a fast computer for once

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Don't you have a proper router as opposed to a table one at your uni?

11. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

The routers at Uni are crappier than mine (impressive actually). It'd really be a job for a router table though. I can take my router out, but that wouldn't do much good. If I wasn't leaving for a year, I'd get one of the new Triton routers that are meant to be used with a table.

12. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Nice clean lines, amazing craftsmanship and a style of your own. Everything you need for a great mod... Once again. ;)

13. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

i hate your teaser shots, they are sooo .... teaserish! revealing, yet not revieling.

anyway, great work, amazing skills, five stars!

14. IYIENACE

IYIENACE What's a Dremel?

***** And Subscribed.

15. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks very much guys. As usual, I have a new update for you.

The next step on this case is to button up the main frame and get everything fitting properly. Last time, we were left with some gaps which need to be taken care of with some careful routing.

The first one is where the rear spruce meets the post:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I used my router table with a straight cutting bit and ended up with this:
    [​IMG]

Here was the clearance i needed:
    [​IMG]

And now it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I also decided to work on the back panel. This just doesn't look right:
    [​IMG]

I made a template a while ago, and traced it onto the black acrylic to get it ready to cut:
    [​IMG]

And rough cut:
    [​IMG]

I used a flush trim bit and it turned out great. Now its on the back, attached with the screws that attached the aluminum shell before:
    [​IMG]

I also cut a lot of little shoji strips for the sides and top. I used the bandsaw to rough cut them, and then the planer to finish them off. Here is my setup outside:
    [​IMG]

I layed out some pieces to see what they'd look like, keeping in mind where the pieces fall to avoid ending up with any really weird joints:
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, stay tuned for more soon.

16. Teyber

Teyber ******

wowzer. I love it! seriously can't wait to see the finished result, that side panel is amazing though...

17. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

It looks amazing! Great work!!!

18. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Really awesome stuff. I'm a big fan of your work Green Sabbath.

19. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thank you guys very much. Today I will be tackling the design of the top panel so I can get the shoji pattern worked out on that aswell. Stay tuned for that.

20. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

I will indeed. Great job greensabbath...

Tags: