1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: retro style television (PC in a TV)(update)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by evilstriker, 16 Jul 2004.

1. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

here is repost because my original post was accidentelly moved to the modding forum
    --------------
    Hey here is my new project. I found this old radio shack color TV(broken but then outer shell is in excellent condition) a while back and decided to mod it into some type a gaming / home entertainement box. Then I found the samsung 15" LCD with a 20ms response time on ebay for 290$ (condition new) and i thought i would top it off with 2 5" RCA LCD to display random info or movies.
    here it is the pic of the TV, LCD and 5" LCD that i will be working with
    [​IMG]

I plan on putting my AMD XP 1.6@2.3Ghz, my geforceFX 5900 that i will split with my 15" LCD and 17"CRT(for gaming so let say i go to lan party i could still plug my 17" in then back and run on it ) Also will include a TV-tuner so that it can play TV. Also going to add a cd-burner(or if i find a good price dvd-burner) and dvd-player and possibly a 3 1/4 disk drive. And of course so fans and lights and gadgets.

If anyone has any cool things they would like to see please let me know ill check to see if i can do it hehe

Last edited: 20 Jul 2004
  2. evilstriker

small update

here is a small update i did today

A little bit of cutting and sanding had to be done in order to remove all the
    unessesary parts. this is one of the more time consuming job as there is a hell of alot of unwanted parts!!

[​IMG]

Got plastic?!?!
    [​IMG]

Now for the real test. Does the 15" LCD fit inside this TV? IF it doesnt fit then this project is destined to fail. If it does fit im in for the big leagues...
    drum roll........
    [​IMG]
    it fits! well sorda! the LCD exede from about 0.5centimeter over the knob on the left side. But I might be able to grind my way into a perfect fit without messing up the knob!

I found an intersting place which i didnt know when I found the TV is that at the bottom there a place for 4 knobs used to change the contrast, brightness etc. And there are just about the right size as the knobs used on fan controlers! so ill mount a fan controler right there and make it look stock!

(sorry for the pic i was having trouble with no-ip.com and my router but its fixed now)

3. evilstriker

update

Small update here. Last time I posted i had pic trouble so my post practically when unnoticed. Hopefully this time it will work and i will get some feedback hehe

Alright as After last week-end I choped and sanded all the unnessesary parts, this time I went ahead in cutting the whole for the PSU and the cd-roms Here are some pics of the development

Here is a pic of the wholes that I had to cut to fit the power supply and the cd roms
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the PSU. Notice on the pic it seams like it doesnt fit but that is because it wasnt scewed in so it moved but when place correctly it fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]

And Finally here is a pic of the Cd-rom that perfectly fit on the whole. There is only one problem about this setup is because the cd-rom are in the back. Which means that when im going to open them i need to turn and move it away from the wall!. Unfortuanlly there was nowhere else to put them. I could of put 1 where the i have put the PSU but I wanted 2 so if I were to put the 2 of them on the bottom then i would not have enought room to place the motherboard!. Its a small problem but it isnt such a big deal!

[​IMG]

For more pics and details check out my site in my sig, and head to the "current project" section

4. Silverstrand

Silverstrand What's a Dremel?

Great job! I've always wanted to do this.

5. evilstriker

another update

Here is another update. I bought a few gadgets to add to this project!

of course there will be fans. 4 red tri led fans
    [​IMG]

Then of course a fan controller to control them. I took the nexus because it wasnt that expensif and it had the knobs at the exact same distance as the "contrast, brightness, picture and volume" knobs where on the televion so it fits nicely

[​IMG]

and here is a night shot of it all lit up. Seams a bit orangy but is really quite red. Also the nexy was only sold in blue so i will have to change the leds for red ones
    [​IMG]

Thats is for now

Last edited: 19 Jul 2004
  6. evilstriker

you guys are allow to give some feedback on this project you know, i dont bite or anything hehe! Anyways even thought my project doesnt seem to interrest noone so far, im still gonna post some more updates! so here is the lastest!

Alright so here is a pic of the fan controller i will place in the bottom front
    [​IMG]

Small little problem, The control fits perfectly where I wanted to put it. But the bottom part of the LCD doesnt close anymore.
    [​IMG]

Here is a front view of what the controller looks like when in place. Fits perfectly in the original wholes where there was some knobs that used to control the brightness, color etc of the television!!! It looks almost stock(besides the color of the knobs)
    [​IMG]

Alright so since the bottom part didnt fit, im going to have to open it up and cut off the exess part! Its risky but i will do it anyways because im crazy

[​IMG]

before:

[​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
    I will work on making a clearner finish. After the cut was done i tried it again and this time the control and the LCD both fited nicely in place!

Stay tuned for some more updates!

7. Go4t

Go4t i

why not just take the mounting bracket off completely?
    the fan controller is perfect :thumb:

8. evilstriker

just because the VGA port DVI port and power port they all run through the bracket. And the pivot port is rivited with those things where you cant enscrew it. So i would of have to detroy the whole bracket in order to remove it. Obviously the bracket wasnt meat to be removed.

9. evilstriker

even though noone seems the care hehe, here is the pic of the patched holes left by the cutting of the mounting of the LCD. I used the left over plastic that I cutted to patch the holes Only thing left to do is to buy the paint and repaint the ends to match the rest to make it look stock.

[​IMG]

10. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Pics no workey

11. evilstriker

what do you get? redX or the image doest display? Because for some reason it seems for some people it works and for others it doesnt. Still trying to figure out why

12. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

13. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Red X

Why don't you host them somewhere with a bit more bandwidth?

14. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

There working for me although i wasnt getting a single thing the other day, just not showing......the larger picture takes ages to load though.

15. evilstriker

yeah hehe thats cuz the server is hoster by me and my isp doesnt have a very good upload speed hehee

16. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Resize them then to make them smaller. I havent seen the pictures as they wont load for myself. Also more than likely your post from before was moved becasue it didnt meet the requirments for a project log.

Try a free picture host for the pictures....

17. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

They are working now and they had been moved before i made my post.

As you cant see them you wouldnt understand but i think you need to make the thumbnails slightly larger to make them easier to see some of the details.

Also is there a change we could have a picture of the front of the tv with the tft in it.

Looking good
    mod on:dremel:

18. evilstriker

There you go
    [​IMG]

There is only one problem, The border width of the LCD is larger the the border width of the TV so on the left side you can see there is a border and on the right site you can see no border. IT doesnt look too good so im going to have to figure out a way to fix that. Althought i havnt found one yet

I juste recompressed the pictures because to were save as image quality high. So i brought then down to medium, it should load faster. I also updated my router fireware which I hope will fix to "some people can see and others cant" problem!! And as for the requirement well the post got move because my pics didnt work and the moderate thought it was a completed MOD with the description I gave but didnt have the pics to know it was a work in progress

19. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Can you not just adjust the size of the picture and make it a little less wide and then shift it left to compensate?

20. evilstriker

i could ben then i woulnt have a 15" hehe
    im thinking more on the border line of sanding off the left silver part and paint it black and then paint the silver on the unhidden border. Meaning I would repaint the silver border 1inch smaller. something like that