1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Unicorn. better name than "wife's case".

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kingkobra, 17 May 2003.

1. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

Look at all that pretty purple over spray all over that nice muskrat…I can see the car turning out to be a nice little work bench also…Nice work on the painting, what did you use? Those diamond bits work real good…I get mine from my dentist. :rock: :dremel:

2. kingkobra

kingkobra What's a Dremel?

It's a steel Chieftec. I used Duplicolor "metalcast" It's supposed to give an anodized look. But it needs to be a somewhat thin coating for that look. Which is very hard to get even with a rattle can. So I just took it deeper with more coats. Can't use the car as a work bench now, I can't get to it. My tool box is blocking it now. Doing all the case stuff in the basement now.

3. kingkobra

O.K. Some new pics as I promised.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Case work is just about done. Now to figure out some lighting. Any suggestions? I do want to try and light the eye of the unicorn. Any ideas or comments?

Last edited: 2 Dec 2003
  4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

To go with the colour scheme and the unicorn theme, I'd go UV - kind of mystical, a hint of purpleness, and very, very cool. I reckon a couple of UV cathodes would look great if you detailed the inside with highlighters (along the PCI/AGP cards etc) and used UV reactive fans inside. The piece de resistance would be lighting the eye with a dot of that UV reactive security pen ink (you can buy them from police stations and stationers here in the UK) so when the cathodes are off, it looks like a normal window, but when you fire up the lightage, glowing eye goodness... :D

Just my .02

Case looks amazing btw, especially that window design. Keep up the good work

5. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

cant say for sure cause i've never used fiber but you might be able to use a fiberoptic cable inthe eye witha bright white led at the end

6. kingkobra

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    Man I should have thought about the fiber optics. I've got that stuff all over the house. I use to use them in model cars and such. Man, forgot all about it. Thanks agent.

7. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Perhaps a piece of smoked acrylic for the unicorn, with the fiber optic eye.

Just a thought.

8. kingkobra

Well, I've already put clear acrylic in the window. But I will look into the fiber optic eye though. I'm looking at some col cathodes for the light. I like the idea of the UV but that's what I did with my case My case and I was not pleased with the amount of glow I got from them. Does any one know how good the cathodes and cathode fans are from PCmods.com?

9. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Wow, just saw this project and it is very impressive. The cut on the unicorn is fantastic. If you want to put an eye on the unicorn maybe you could etch a little dot for the eye and then put a cathose along the edge of the plexi. Im not sure if that is what people were suggesting, but it could be a cool look. Keep up the great work!

10. kingkobra

Decided to mess around with the fiber optic idea and this is what I fudged together. I think I have an idea on what to do with them. More to come.

In the dark w/ no flash
    [​IMG]

with flash to show the set up.
    [​IMG]

11. Dragen

Dragen What's a Dremel?

those fibers look cool. how did you make those?

12. kingkobra

Thanks. They came in an old plastic model kit I had. There's a link some where on bit-tech to a site that sells all kinds of fiber optics. Here's the article http://www.bit-tech.net/article/73/

13. Dragen

Dragen What's a Dremel?

cool, thanks man, do they come prebuildt? i suck at wirering, this is all i know about electricity: cant feel my arm after touching it...

14. kingkobra

Not pre-built. Got to make 'em light. I used an led and two bottle caps taped together for testing.

15. kingkobra

O.K. Got some of my stuff today. Fitted the fans in and tested for looks. Here's some shots with the UV led fans. Remember, the only light in the case is from the fans. 5 of 'em. More to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

Very nice...

I want to see the fiber!! :D

Last edited: 11 Dec 2003
  17. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking great..

18. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

You just totally gave me a solution to my Dark Fiber mod that I was hunting around about.

I was having a hard time locating someone that sold unstranded fiber optics for a decent price! That link in the article to http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/ is perfect!

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

:rock: :rock: :rock:

19. kingkobra

Glad to help. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

20. kingkobra

Slapped some hardware in it today. Mainly to get an idea of what it was going to look like. Not much of a system, so I won't go into details on the hardware. Here's how it looks so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is going to need more lighting, now that there is some hardware in it, it's not as bright.

More to come later. Still working on the fiber optics. Can't seem to find the drill bit I had for them. Must keep looking.