1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: VW-GPS

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Slim Slotloader, 8 Apr 2007.

1. Slim Slotloader

Slim Slotloader What's a Dremel?

Howdy.
    Here's a little project i've been working on, Fujitsu Lifebook B142.(poor photos incoming!)
    [​IMG]
    Spec-wise it's nothing to cheer about, but the size and touchscreen will make it suitable for my plan; to use it as a GPS-navigator/music storage.

Let's start with disassembly:
    [​IMG]
    Bottom of laptop, 128mb(!) memory module

[​IMG]
    Screen and upper half of the laptop removed

[​IMG]
    Screen taken apart

[​IMG]
    The bottom was covered with a soft cloth that was glued on...this was hell to remove

Would have posted more pics, but imageshack isn't responding for the time being :( will post the rest of disassembly and some painted parts when it does

2. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

Nice start, keep up the good work.

3. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I thinking of modding my old laptop, what are you planning on doing then??

4. Slim Slotloader

Slim Slotloader What's a Dremel?

Changed host to photobucket, let's see if it works better :)
    [​IMG]
    The top had a badge i removed and then smoothed out the hole

[​IMG]
    Needed something to make it more than just a paintjob, so i got this VW badge to go with my car and readied the parts for painting

[​IMG]
    Most of the parts are painted metallic black. The chrome badge goes with that nicely. on the right side of the badge are two blue leds that will light the badge from behind

[​IMG]
    Light-test, shaky picture due to trying to take picture in the dark without a camerastand with long exposure time :)

Next step will be assembly. Also i hope the leds will work when hooked up to the laptop as i'm no expert with them. For testing i used a 12v line but the laptop battery is only 10.8v. I didn't even know what resistor to use because i don't know the specs on them, bought them 6 years ago :wallbash:
    Fried one when i just stuck it straight in 12v line, i'm no expert :nono: but testing with the three different resistors i had and atlest they light up

Last edited: 8 Apr 2007