1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Water Bracket (PC-70 Styling Part 2) - Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ynema, 27 Jun 2004.

1. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Well after 6 Months I've finally got round to doing some More work On my PC-75 if you have a look at my Signature you can check out some pictures of the project so far but Since I did that Modding I've now added Water Cooling.
    Also due to the large amount of gear inside my Case I don't have any room to Put the Radiator and Water Reservior so They are to be mounted on the back of the Case

- Currently I have Two 80mm fans mounted on the rear of my case, the Radiator is just hanging in place and I don't have a reservior (Which made it fun to fill the system with coolant).
    [​IMG]

- I decided to use those Two fans as the Mounting point for the Bracket to hold the Radiator and Also the bracket will incorporate tha Reservior within itself. The reservoir will be made up of two chambers one to house the inflow from the Pump which will then feed through the Radiator into the second chamber and outflow into the CPU water block and back to the pump. I also had to allow for venting out the side for the fan which is why the reservior chambers make that diamond shape. If you want the AutoCAD DWG file for my bracket Design Click Here
    [​IMG]

- Starting the Construction
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- After marking where the Fans will go I got two spare old 80mm fans and mounted them in place so I would have somewhere to work from.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- After forgetting to take my Camera to work I have done a lot more work and The Bracket is now taking Shape.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- Spending a bit of time on the Router I came up with this grill which will go on the side where both the 80mm and radiator fans will be vented out.
    [​IMG]

- And the access whole to plug cables into my PC will be the only area that won't be covered by grills
    [​IMG]

Well that's pretty much it for now I have to wait for the glue to dry on what I've done so far the I'll fill the Two reservoir Chambers up to test that they don't leak then I can finish with the Radiator mount side.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2004
  2. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

Nice plexi work :)
    I'm about to get to work on water-cooling my Chieftec case. It'll be great when people can see the finished creation at WALAN.

3. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

Where did you get the plexi? I have been looking everywhere, but all I can find is some thin cheep stuff. By the way nice work so far keep it up :rock:

4. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I agree, very good plexi bending work... Looking forward to more... :D

5. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Wow that plexi is nice! Looking good!

DDK

6. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

-I get the Plexi from my Local Plastics manufacturing place. They make all types of plastic fabrication and I just give them a set of measurements and they cut all the pieces to size and even gave me some glue. I could have given them the whole design and got them to make it up but then I though I could be fully proud of it cause I didn't do the work.
    Also it cost me $50AUD to get 0.5m2 in 4.5mm Dark blue Plexi so it's about $100AUD per square metre.

- Also I don't think I'll go to WALAN last Time I went there were way to many unwashed people and that drunk chick was really annoying but I could come up if enough people want to see the case.

7. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Update #2

Update Time.

- Well I thought I'd put a picture in of my workshop Just for the hell of it. The Big Green canvas Covered thing sticking out is a huge Drill Press It basically goes from Floor to Ceiling so you get an idea of size.
    [​IMG]

- Well on with the Update. First Up I've screwed in some barbed 1/4" and glued them in place. I should have checked the position to as you will see later but I forgot to. And also glued the Radiator mount plate in place
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- Now to remove the Radiator from My PC. And all the Coolant which wasn't much mind you. And then to mount some Nuts on the Radiator and Glue them in place so I can bolt the Radiator in place.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- And a test mount of the unit on my PC Just a few Candy Shots.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- From these Photos you can see way I should have check my hose barb postions earlier, This has now made my orginal plan of mounting the radiator on to the reservior slightly difficult so I'm going to have to glue some spare perspex together and make a mounting brackets to fit between the gap you can see between the aluminium fan and the perspex and instead of housing the radiator inside a perspex box I've now decided to leave it as is.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- And this is the stage of works now. I've glued the End cap on sothe Rerservior is now sealed off and I've also Glued three peices of perspex together to give me a 13.5mm bracket to mount the radiator on. and Also a Phot of my nice clean work space.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well I can't do any more Until tomorrow on the glue dries so I'll leave it at that for now.

8. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Still can't quite tell what's going on, but it looks nice...

9. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Here's a diagram to show what I'm actually doing.
    [​IMG]

Basically the flow of water is out of the computer into one reservior chambers throught the Radiator into the other radiator chamber and back into the computer.

If that helps you all understand the design better.

10. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

That looks cool, and the blue plexi is sweet... :rock:

keep it up

11. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

nice plan and plexi, what kind of glue are you using?

when i saw this:
    [​IMG]
    i'm realy interested if you made that twisted key(if thats the right translation) by yourself, or is it made on that way? (iv'e always tought those wont twist, only break if the force is getting too big.

12. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

I'm using a special Glue made for gluing acrylic together I'm not sure what it's actually called cause it was just given to me by the people I bought the acrylic of. Also the Barbs are glued in place with Aryldite.

I think by twisted key you mean a threading tap (something that you screw into a drilled hole to give you a thread) and not I didn't use one cause They are glued in place I didn't need to but when I put a plug in the top to put coolant in I will I was planning on getting a hair dryer (actually it goes to 600C and it's not a hair dryer just similar) to warm the acrylic so I don't shatter it when threading. But i'll show you in detail when I get to that part.

--EDIT--
    oops I mis-interpreted what you said that "twisted key" is actually a ring spanner used for tightening things and my dad bent it that way for a specific task I'll post a picture of the task tomorrow. and a pic of what the thing actually looks like.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2004
  13. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Pretty Much Finished now

Well I spent today Finishing off the Bracket and all the cutting and filing is now done and the whole thing is Sealed and water proof (I filled the unit with water and pressure tested it for any leaks). Then I've sanded it down with 1500grit then 2000grit sandpaper so it's polished smooth (It's not actually sanded/polished in any of these photos).
    Now all I need to do is get some threaded rod long enought to bolt the radiator and fan on and then mount it on the case. Here's a few pictures of the work doe today and when I mount it I'll put up a final set of pictures.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well Until Tomorrow :yawn:

14. RaZoRbLaDe

RaZoRbLaDe What's a Dremel?

It looks quitte nice I think. Will turn out great, I know for sure. But still I can't quitte tell what's going on... But well I'll keep an eye on this one ;) !

15. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Well I've finished The Bracket and Mounted it on my case. It works like a charm. But anyway heres a few pictures of the Bracket and the rest of the case.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway I should be getting the Musketeers so I can finished off my Dialed HTPC early next week but Until them I'm going to start working on some plans for a STALKER Theme for My server (Just to go against all those HL2 Mods out atm).