1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Prometheus

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 22 Dec 2011.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know, but it's still funny & true...

thehippoz likes this.
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol what feathers.. why was he banned?

I didn't really get the movie until I read that guys rant on it.. it seems the black stuff is like magic- and the engineers were seeders of the universe.. they became corrupted when one was attacked- probably from the backside I'm guessing

anyways.. he roid raged and the first abominations were born.. I still don't understand why the mercs were acting like school girls inside the engineer ship.. didn't make any sense

it's kind of set up for a sequel- the cast was ok.. I liked the engineer who came out of the pod- think that was my favorite scene.. it showed how curious we are and how bad that can go without some chinese precautions.. the old man traveled half way across the galaxy for that..

I would have had my butt cheeks protected.. probably a chinese sks and maybe a mexican with a scoped 270 win behind the door.. there wasn't any naked scenes with people who are paid big bucks to get naked either :eek:

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

On a related note, I just saw Aliens for the first time!

...It
    sucked!

Seriously don't know why it's considered to be a good movie, especially after the masterpiece that was Alien. It might have been good at the time of release (or something), but it just hasn't aged well at all.

Every time Vasquez talked I cringed...

Can't wait for the director's cut of Prometheus though.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

:wallbash: :eyebrow:

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I absolutely agree, it was great when it came out but now it has not aged well at all. I can now appreciate how wooden the acting was together with the poor plot and dialogue, it's quite an embarrassing watch now. Shame really

6. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I know an important theme in Alien is one of a fear of male rape but are comments like this really necessary?

I understand where you're coming from, I don't agree with you but the tone of Aliens is in keeping with the progression from Alien, they're big dumb marines in space.

Big dumb marines say stupid things and shoot big stupid guns until they're all dead, it's the relationship between Ripley, Hicks and Newt that's important that's what the movie is about for me.

Also; Bishop. Lance Henriksen deserves more credit for that role.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  7. SuicideNeil

Anyone who dislikes Aliens is dead to me :nono: - make sure you see the Special Edition though, there are extra guns and a whole scene at the colony before the Aliens fubar the place. It's the action-movie progression of the original though, more aliens, more sneaky company shenanigans, Ripley over coming her fears & kicking ass etc, great film even if many of the effects haven't aged well.

8. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Morning people.... yesterday I took a train to Bradford to see this in 3-D at the IMAX....

I have to admit to not being a big fan of the cinema experience, 1994 was my last visit, spoilt by a massively over-blown stereo system. This time it was spoilt by the overpowering stench of popcorn, why does everyone think eating this is a good idea ? :duh:

Anyway.... so as a film, O.K., but some serious H&S issues regarding operational procedures... :D

Overall, 3-D isn't that important IMHO, screen size made it very immersive, plot was mostly as expected, and I would expect a sequel ( if they make enough profit from this one ? ). Having now scanned through the whole thread, I would agree on wanting the director's cut, very much hoping it fleshes out the plot, 30minutes worth please !
    The trouble (for me) is that the first film I saw as an "adult" was 2001:A Space Odyssey, (141 mins), so patience and intellect counted for something within the cinematic experience.

dunx

P.S. Will now :read:

Last edited: 3 Jul 2012
  9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

want to elaborate on that because it still looks awesome to me.

10. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

Indeed. I'd say they've held up remarkably well.

Also, even though it's very action oriented compared to Alien, it really is Fort Knox compared to Prometheus' wet paper bag in terms of plot...

11. Apocalypso

It's because Alien/s used physical effects as opposed to cgi.

Modern cgi just doesn't sit properly in the environment, look at how well Inception proved that real world stunts look better and more realistic than any cgi fight seen could with this level of technology.

Plus cgi effects age as fast as the technology progresses whereas a man in an awesome alien suit is always going to be a man in an awesome alien suit.

12. SuicideNeil

Oh no, not at all- I love physical effects over CGI any day, and some compositing / in-vision effects ( predator invisibility & plasma weapon ) look much better vs the modern CGI versions.

The effects in Aliens that haven't aged well for me are the use of back screen projection when the dropship is coming in to land and crashing- some is fine, some is rather iffy looking ( especially before the landing gear goes down ). Also the 1/4 scale queen and tiply puppets when the outer airlock doors are opening- one second the Queen is fluid and moving naturally ( flailing tail around and moving head etc ), the next it's obviously a stiff puppet with no movement in it's joints. Also when the queen finally falls into space, the 1/4 puppet is clearly composited onto the film- it's little legs flail around like crazy which looks a bit comical given the size and speed of the Queen normally when walking or running.

Not as many issues as I implied but all the same, they do stand out somewhat if you watch them back a few times- same issue with at the end of Alien when it gets blown out the airlock but is attached via the grappling gun cable; it's obviously a guy or stiff puppet being dangled on a cable, there is no movement in the limbs or head and it kills the reality.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

xD ok I liked the hitler video.. some of that was right on

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

15. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Confirmed by Fox also...

16. Apocalypso

17. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Love that Fox are stating they are getting different writers because LindtheHoff MIGHT be unavailable...