1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Puddidium235 - Feb 2023 Complete +Final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 13 Nov 2019.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Now you need one of these, to complete the look.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and some polishing compound for the other end.
    [​IMG]

2. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I'd have painted a orange GT stripe on mine :grin:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:worried: I have 2 gallons of magenta latex the trash guys refused to pick up too. Seriously, I REALLY glad the tenants that left that didn't get around to using it.
    I added a layer of white to the counter that was so close to going bad that you could turn the can upside down. I smeared it on with an old BBQ sauce brush.
    @DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ - I didn't have orange - Shockingly. I tried 4 cans and this is the one that worked. You assume I cleaned and did prep? :lol:

Last edited: 28 Apr 2020
    ifohancroft likes this.
  4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

LOL i did :p foolish me :lol: I sub to a few of those tool reno channels :thumb:

ifohancroft likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

I blame @Mosquito for this one.
    The weather was terrible yesterday, so I did some finalizing of this. Dang but I needed a bunch of brackets to clear the side rails. The Z is really out of balance. I'm hoping I can counterweight it somehow.
    [​IMG]
    I also ordered a bunch of 8020, so the trigger has been pulled on this project's mini game.
    The uprights and Y axis brackets are way more than I can cut. I'll have to farm them out.

ifohancroft, Mosquito and MADPC like this.
  6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

New mill or modification to your existing unit?

7. Cheapskate

New mill, but I'll use my existing controller.
    Mos and I had a long chat about mills earlier, so I took a day off from repairs and spent the day not blinking. Does anyone know if you can get stuff shipped from China yet?

ifohancroft likes this.
  8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Fun. I assume that it has a bigger working capacity any other planned upgrades. Will itcompletely replace the old mill or will you set up so you can quickly switch the controllers over to the old mill?

9. idpcmods

idpcmods Minimodder

Yeah but be prepared for a month's wait.

10. Toru

Toru Minimodder

Oh Great project! Its very interesting...:eeek::eeek::eeek: also i love pink..:cooldude:

11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I wish i could CAD the way you do Cheaps :thumb:

12. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D
    @Defyant Mods - Just spend three days screen shotting part specs tables and a day drawing. :lol:
    @Dr. Coin - It's just a matter of swapping the 3 cables to the motors. The Mach3 software lets you open with different system setups, (motor tuning, reversed controls for certain motors, etc.)

So I'm looking into what I'm going to need for this, and M5 screws kept popping up. I have an Imperial tap set, but the last time I needed it I found a single metric tap in the place of the one I needed. :/ I Just checked that and sure enough, it's m5...x.9.
    .9 thread is an antique and obsolete Japanese standard. I swear Satan himself packaged this tap kit.

13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

:eeek: now i know why i don't :grin: the amount of modding i could do in that time :naughty:

ifohancroft likes this.
  14. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

haha, I'm more than happy to take the blame on that one :D #Enablement

Defyant Mods likes this.
  15. Cheapskate

Ah, ****...

16. Mosquito

Yeah... having been there quite a few times, and having met a handful of the people there over the years, that was pretty tough to watch. You can hear the emotion in Bill's voice. Glad everyone there is safe, tough, and that it's not as bad as it could have been. It could have easily looked like the bar across the street had the fire fighters not gotten there

17. Cheapskate

We need a little more modding in here... Not that this post will help, but..
    [​IMG]
    -More from the garage archaeology dig. This is a jig saw attachment for a drill.
    [​IMG]
    -Knobs. Box one of three. I think re-keying locks is why my eyes are going bad. I lost the zoom mode.
    [​IMG]
    -Now why would a tenant steal a road si- Ohhh...:rollingeyes: I think I can live without the '62 Ford distributor.
    [​IMG]
    -Sidewinder closed. :( But I managed to pick up Heatkiller base plates in the closeout sale. There's no friggen way I could cut one this nice... Well, maybe with full flood and a major spindle upgrade, but $6 is better than $900 and a sore back.
    [​IMG]
    -California cancer strikes again! I picked up some aluminum (apparently the special radiactive aluminum,) pulleys and a belt from McMaster. It turns out that when you need a 54" belt you have to really dig to find something even close. 57" is close-ish. I'm going to have to rig a really obnoxious belt tension system to take up the slack.
    [​IMG]
    -A belt system is going to need pulleys. Pulleys need bearings... Hang on- I have a thing.
    [​IMG]
    -The bearings are metric. Blah. I'm having enough trouble finding metric stuff, so I made a bunch of polycarbonate bushings to fit 8-32 screws. Next up are some big pulley wheels to go over the bearings.
    -But I finally started making crap for the new mill! The new bit I used was in tolerance too. :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    -I got some stepper motors too, I just need to check on of the other motors for the wiring order, and... D*mn. What is that?
    Brown,brown,white,yellow,PINK?..red? purple? I think that could be backwards too since there's no spacing to read it. Nice time for my multimeter to die...
    The g540 manual says I need a 2800 ohm resistor thankfully, but I'll have to Frankenstein a wad of resistors together.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2022
  18. Mosquito

Jigsaw or saber saw? Neat find, I have a couple drills that match that vintage lol Nothing like firing up a metal housed non grounded drill that's 50+ years old for an exciting time lol

Also have one of those heat killer plates for the same reason. They might have been skived or slitting saw too, that would be a really tiny endmill, and slow I would think. Exciting to see the new mill getting worked on. I thought you didn't want to do belts?

19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I can honestly say , that in all my life ive never seen a box of door handles! :eeek: whats the old dizzy out of?

20. Cheapskate

@Mos - the belt is necessary to drive two ballscrews on the Y gantry with one motor.
    @def - Likely a '62 Falcon, as I have the heads from one as well. -Turns out, 289 heads are a waste of time on a 260. Having an internet would have been nice back then.

Mosquito and Jean R built like this.