1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q6600 v E8400 with XFX 680LT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tommythetim, 3 Jul 2008.

1. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

Can anyone who has used both of these tell me which ones the best all rounder with OC and TEMP as these are big issues for me.
    I have been doing a bit of searching about which 1 to get but most folk tend to choose the 1 they have, has anyone here had any experience with both that can give me an insight?

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I only have the q6600 but the 680i LT is decent for overclocking. I do have to complain about the vcore options on it though. Some of the options have a large jump between them which doesn't help.

3. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I would have thought the dual core might be cooler, less cores etc... I suppose it depends what you want it for though because in my experience they both the quads and the duals overclock well, unless you just happen to be unlucky and get a duff one... e.g. my Quad had a highish Vcore so made OC'ing a pain....

4. tommythetim

Thanks for the help.
    After about 4 hours of google and reviews, I'm going to go for the E8400 because I don't encode anymore since I went dual display (PC sits in a small cupboard under the stairs with home made desk, TV in the main room). As there is not much in quad support just now IMO (please don't slaughter me), because of heat issues caused by the enclosed space (my stock 4600 idles at about 38, OC to 3Ghz is about 46)my pc should run cooler and maybe quieter with the E8400 especially when OC is involved as hearing that Q6600 can get quite toasty at times.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

indeed, q6600 is very toasty. if heat is a real issue and you won't need the multi-core solutions, the e8400 is more suited for you. (won't say a better choice because IMHO, q6600 is better)

6. tommythetim

What kind of temps do you get?

7. wyx087

i get idle around 40c, 100% Prime small FFT load around 55c. that's only 3Ghz overclock, as i don't need so much power at the moment.

3.4Ghz is the highest i can do during summer. idle around 45c, 100% Prime small FFT load near 70c.
    3.6Ghz is do-able in winter, max out at 70c.

8. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I get the same temps at 3ghz on my Q6600 as wuyanxu... My PC was orginally in a pretty enclosed space and i had no heat issues...

But from what i can see the E8400 runs pretty cool so mioght be the better option if your not gona take advantage of the quad core-ness...

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bearing in mind that the 6-series might not/does not support 45nm CPUs - so the E8400 is a no-no. Check the latest BIOS for it.

10. tommythetim

The 680 does support the Wolfdale 45nm dual cores but doesn't do the Yorkfields though. Although I did a complete U-turn and changed my mind at the last minute and ordered the Q6600 instead. I was up till 3a.m last night because I came across a lot of posts regarding heating issuses in a lot of forums with the E8400's. Time will tell if that's the right choice for me.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's down to the lower VTT and different GTL settings between 65nm and 45nm - if the BIOS doesn't support them then it causes problems. But anyway, you got the Q66 now :p

12. tommythetim

I got the quad and it has a VID of 1.2500 (anyone tell me if thats good or bad?) not done anything much yet, just letting it burn in for about a week before i start mucking around with it. As expected my temps have gone up. I have Coretemp and Everest showing 5c higher temp than Real Temp. Does anyone know which temp reading is accurate. My idle temps are 45c stock with the freezer. Next up in the shopping list is a TRUE heatsink i think to get these temps back down (if it fits MB and case).

Last edited: 12 Jul 2008
  13. wyx087

idle 45c at stock speeds is a bit high.
    i mean, im idling at 45c at 3.2Ghz, 1.3v. change heatsink to TRUE should help a bit.

i *THINK* CoreTemp is more accurate with q6600. RealTemp has Tj.Max set to 95c, it should be 100c.

1.25v VID should be around middle, bad/high is around 1.325v, good/low is around 1.2125v. i've had both and i can sure tell you the lower the easier to get to 3.2Ghz. any higher depends on your cooling and your luck. some chip requires a HUGE voltage bump to get pass 3.4Ghz

14. tommythetim

I was expecting the temps to be higher, if the pc was sitting in a normal room i expect the temps would drop to about 37c. The 3 antec case fans are set on low and the MB is passive, the cupboard the PC's in is tiny (about 2 keyboards side by side in width). I think i will only be going for about a 3Ghz clock, but i need 2 wait till i get a new cooler.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2008