1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Question about putting a 7950 card and a new Dx10 card in Sli

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Solidus, 14 Aug 2006.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Im wondering, say i was to purchase a geforce 7950 and i used that.

Then say the Dx10 cards are released (a month-ish away) and i bought one, would it be possible to connect the two up in Sli?

Just curious how well this would work if at all :worried:

2. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

As far as I know you can only do SLI with 2 identical cards

3. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Easily no. Has to be two cards of the same chipset for a start. Even if we ignore that, that two card would be of a totally different generation as well. It *is* possible (correct me if I'm wrong), but you'll need to reverse engineer the SLI technology and then hack and rewrite the SLI drivers for a start.

4. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] What's a Dremel?

No, not possible. The cards need to be of the same chipset and memory size. Even if they did come out with a 7950GX2 with 1GB of memory, etc. (which they likely won't do) that was DX10 capable, I would venture to guess that would not work, either. I'd say buy the GX2 now because not only will DX10 prices be through the roof, it will be AT LEAST one year before we see any games that are natively DX10, though probably more like 1.5-2 years.

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I'd have to totaly disagree with you, buy a 7950 when DX10 cards are out, that will lead to drops in the 7950's prices. that or buy an equalivalent priced DX10 card.... :idea: .

6. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

The first bit isn't strictly true, and GX2s have always shipped with 1GB of frame buffer ;)

It'll be a while for sure since DX10 actually comes into being though. What's your current graphics card?

Tags: