1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Refresh Rate woes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Scroome, 4 Dec 2018.

1. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hey everyone,

So I bought myself an RX580 from eBay a couple months back, and have been happily catching up on my steam list, and enjoying the upgrade.

I just finished the Witcher 3, running at 1440p maxed, and was pretty impressed with the performance. I then decided to push the envelope a little further and install Shadow of the Tomb raider.

When going through the settings, I noticed that the game had selected 30Hz as a default. No problem, I thought, I'll change it to 60Hz, as this is the native selection for my TV (TCL 5 Series). As soon as I changed the refresh to 60Hz, the screen began to flicker and I got a mixture of sparkles, Green Screen or Black screen, mixed in with the game menu system.

I changed it back to 30Hz, and immediately the problem stopped. My first thought was to try 1080p, with 60Hz. The problem immediately came back, so I changed back to 30Hz. Again, problem solved. I tried changing the Hz on a few different games, and every time I changed to 60, it immediately became unstable.

My second thought was to replace the HDMI cable, as I thought that maybe it wasn't able to cope. I purchased a Members Mark HDMI cable from Sam's Club, as I was in the area and the cable stated it could handle 18Gbps transfer speeds, which should have been enough for 1440p at 60Hz, and most certainly 1080p at 60Hz. Got home, swapped the cables, tried it all again and Bam same bloody problem.

I tried a fresh install of drivers from AMD (18.11.2) and checked the BIOS version, which is the same as current, according to XFX (GTS XXX 8GB Edition - 015.050.002.001.000000).

The only thought that I had, was that this card either has a faulty HDMI socket, or that something happened to the card (I have a strong feeling, it was used for mining) with the previous owner.

I guess my next step would be to try a displayport to HDMI adapter for the cable I have, and see if that works. Other than that, I'm kinda stumped.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I reckon your TV might run at 59 Hz, which is causing you an issue. Set the resolution and refresh manually in Windows, and let the games follow that if possible.

3. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Just an update:

My partner was playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I had quick check at their settings. Turns out they're playing 1080p with 60Hz. I also noticed that the settings for V-Sync we're set to auto and greyed out.

I'm flummoxed now...

I'll give your advice a go TheMadDutchDude and see how that works out.

Forgot to mention that having it at 60Hz in Windows I have no issues.

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you were playing at 1440p on a monitor and you're having issues at 1080p on a TV, then try Tomb Raider at 1080p on the monitor.

If you get no issues, you could try on another TV at 1080p to rule out the final factor.

5. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Surprisingly, I don't have any monitors in my home anymore, just 4K TV's, so I'll try it on one of the other TV's as well and see what that does.

For ref though; I have my PS4 Pro hooked up, and running at 60Hz without any issues. To summarise my issue, without the long wall of text:

1080p 60Hz on TV - No issues (tried a couple more games, and they're all fine)
    1440p or higher at 30Hz - No issues, but crazy screen tear in games without V-Sync (some games like Assassins Creed and Tomb Raider have V-sync unchangeable, for some reason)
    1440p or higher at 60Hz - Screen Sparkles, Black out, Green out, sound cutting (Running sound through HDMI)

Tried Adjusting Refresh in Windows, to 59Hz - No change
    Tried getting a new HDMI cable that can handle 18Gbps - No change
    Tried playing with the settings on my TV, to see if that would alter anything - No change

According to the Specs for my TV, it can handle 120Hz - https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55s517-2018-roku-tv/specs/

Windows 10 Runs fine at 4K with 60Hz. No issues with things like youtube running, or Netflix. As soon as something taxing like a game comes on, it throws a fit.

Short of trying things out on the display port or somehow getting hold of a monitor that supports 60+Hz I'm not sure what else to try.

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Looking at the tech spec on the link you sent, that 120hz seems to be a software enhancement which is probably artificial frames created and inserted to smooth out motion. I don't think it's natively a 120hz panel - its a 60hz (see review of 43inch identical version on Toms Hardware - https://www.tomsguide.com/us/tcl-43s517-roku-smart-4k-tv,review-5774.html).

Either way, that shouldn't cause your issue and you should be able to run at 60hz across all resolutions. I still have a feeling this is a TV issue though and not your graphics card. I can run all resolutions up to 4k @ 60hz on my Panasonic.

7. Scroome

Scroome Modder

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That's extremely odd that your card can only display at 60hz at 1080, 30 at 1440 and only desktop at 4k.

I've never seen that before... Is returning the card an option at this stage?

Thinking about it more carefully, when you're at desktop at any resolution, you're still running at 60hz but in 2d rendering, not 3d so it stands to reason that it's the 3d rendering part of the process which is the issue, which can only be gpu related.

9. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Yeah, that's where my thinking was going with this, too.

It's super weird. I've been wracking my brains as to what it could be.

Strangely enough, forcing HDMI 2.0 cut the bad effects by about half. It's still happening, but much less now.

I'll go and buy a display port to HDMI cable and try that. I bought the card over a month ago, so returning it is no longer on the table.

If it turns out to be a dodgy HDMI port and the display port works fine, I can live with that. Otherwise it's either gaming at 1080p 60Hz (Which I could have got a 1050ti/1060 3Gb, for that) or 30Hz with V-Sync for anything higher (which sucks).

10. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Juuuust to rule it out; Could my mixed ram brands have anything to do with it?

My original post, asking if it's ok to mix them is slightly further down in Tech support part of the forum, but essentially one stick of my ram is a different brand.

They're 4 X 4GB DDR4 of 2666 Mhz at the same voltage. The latency was different on one, but I changed it to match the other three.

It's not caused me any other issues (that I can see), but given how odd this problem is, I'm not ruling anything out.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

HDMI doesn’t have the required bandwidth for 4k60 unless it’s a 2.0 port. That’s most likely your issue.

12. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I have the TV using HDMI 2.0 (selected in settings)

The RX580 uses HDMI 2.0, and I have an HDMI cable capable of 18Gbps, which is required for 4K 60Hz.

Done all I can in that regard. Even tried changing down to 59Hz and trying that.

I have the display port cable arriving today, so fingers crossed.

If that doesn't work, then it's either the GPU or the TV. I'm going to get another 580 soon and try that. If the same thing happens I can safely say it's the TV.

13. Scroome

Scroome Modder

My display port to HDMI came today.

Plugged it in and ran multiple games/benchmarks at 1440p 60Hz, and zero hitches.

Looks like it was a dodgy HDMI port after all.

Very pleased that I didn't need to shell out for a new GPU.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2018
    Arboreal, adidan and TheMadDutchDude like this.
  14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator