1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Removing Anodize from Lian-Li panels?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KayinBlack, 9 Mar 2005.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I need a way to chemically strip my Lian-Li panels for paint, as the finish is pretty well hacked after my move and I plan on spraying it a nice white to cover the scratches and pretty it up, and it really fits my theme...

I can't just go for sanding, as the panels have lots of intricate cutwork and do not lend themselves readily to anything of the nature...

I've heard oven cleaner, I know lye, but anyone got a DEFINITIVE decently easy way to do this?

BTW, I can buy lots of chemicals with my body shop certs, so if it's chemical fire away...

2. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

From google

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

But what does that mean? :confused:

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

The best way would be to get them sandblasted, if you polish then and the finish isn't very good then some light sanding would do it. After sandblasting i'd start about 800 grit then keep going up to say 1600, then some heavy polishing with peek or autosol and bingo :hip:

5. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

I have to say that all of these methods sound less than economical. I know price isn't everyones driving factor but there are a lot of nice cases out there if you have irrevocably (sp?) damaged your current one.

6. KayinBlack

I'm painting my panels, and if you saw the cuts I made, you'd know they couldn't stand being blasted. there's not much left of them at all.

This isn't about "I destroyed my case" but I want to paint my panels.

I heard oven cleaner works...

7. dj_2004

dj_2004 What's a Dremel?

easy-off is suppose to work pretty well since it contains lye. i tried it on my mp3 player cover and it only took about half off after 4 times :sigh: wish there was an easy and effective way to do this.

8. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I think he means 10% soda 90% water heated to 110c, Be carefull if you try it tho safty and all that jizzle :thumb:

9. KayinBlack

Thanks all, with up to 90% of these panels gone, I had to take a different route than blasting.

Oven cleaner was the consensus choice, and easy off was that consensus' choice. I'll pick some up today.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

100g sodium hydroxide pellets per 1 litre COLD water, stir to dissolve, warm (or cool, will be quite hot already) to 110°F (40-45°C). Keep moving panels. After stripping, rinse well in cold water, rinse again in water with a bit of vinegar in (to neutralise any caustic left), final rinse in hot water & dry.

Use rubber gloves & eye protection. :nono:

However, as it says here,
    So if you can find the proper chemicals, use them. Chromic acid is very nasty stuff and expensive.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2005
  11. KayinBlack

I've access to that stuff, but a friend tipped me off that Lian-Li anodize will come off in a solution of lye. I've two tubs here, so I'm going to try that out. I'll post up results later...

Better yet, I'll try oven cleaner on one and straight lye on the other.

Nothing like experimentation...

12. Vio1

Vio1 What's a Dremel?

Where would you purchase straight lye from?

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well you could ruin one of the panels :duh:

14. KayinBlack

I'm just using lye, not caustic chemicals. As I'm going to paint anyway, worth a try.

15. Tricky

Tricky What's a Dremel?

Safety

Just to follow cpemma up for anyone thinking of trying this.....

75% phosphoric acid (presumably PO4H3) is not a chemical I'd like to use outside of a fume hood. If you do not have access to a fume hood - and let’s face it most of us don't - please use it outside only (not in your garage with the door open). This is because the vapours it gives off will very quickly start to attack your respiratory tract.

The chromium oxide is also a bit of a beast (as has already been pointed out). You DO NOT want to breathe in the dust from this stuff as it is both highly toxic and a sensitizer.

Having said all of this once the chemicals are diluted in water then they are not too bad and you could shift the mixture back into the garage or wherever. I don't want to put anyone off from trying this out and it even sound fairly simple which is cool. Just have a care when handling the chemicals! Sorry all.

Cheers - Pete

16. KayinBlack

Don't worry, I have the certifications, which means I know proper usage.

I'm going with oven cleaner, cause I live in an apartment, and I know that I can spray it on, stick it in a trash bag, and it'll work, even if I have to do it a time or two.

Got the tip from a racing buddy of mine.

Tags: