1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Router Battery Backup

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 2shae, 21 Sep 2007.

1. 2shae

2shae What's a Dremel?

I used to have fixed wireless internet and when the power went down it did not due to the fact it was connected to a battery back, i have since moved house and moved to dsl, i have a 12v router and i we have at least 2 power cuts a day. so i hate waiting the 2 min for it to connect again, any ideas on howto build a rechargable battery pack to keep it online?

2. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

a intellegent 12v battery charger (maybe for automotive use), a 12 volt battery (maybe a new car battery) and a circuit to make the slightly flucation voltage to steady 12 volt. BTW how many Miliamps does the power brick produce? would be nice to know in helping you :p

3. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

a car battery may be a little overkill?
    Check out the MAX712 IC. Basically it's a charger IC for NiCd or NiMH batteries which requires a handful of external components. Only downside is it needs about 15V supply to charge a 12V battery, and a transistor which will require a heatsink, however you can run the router from the battery and leave the charger connected. Check out the schematic here. This circuit might also work with "Gel Cell" (sealed lead acid) batteries, if endurance is an issue :p

Last edited: 21 Sep 2007
  4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

2 blackouts per day is ridiculous! Where abouts do you live?

5. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

no kidding. i'd bug the crap out of the electric company until they fixed it. like 10 phone calls a day. but i guess thats just me.

6. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Definitely. If power is that unstable, it's not only irritating but bad for the electronics. Best part is that a UPS just for a modem/router will last hours rather than 15 minutes since they use so little power compared to computer.

8. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Where's the DIY fun in that :p

9. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Hi,

Here is what I did... I had all linksys equipment at the time, a wrt54g and a linksys cable modem. Since they stacked I wanted a device that could stack with them to provide backup power that would last for around and hour and not require overkill current like a traditional UPS. I hollowed out an old linksys befw11sw wireless-b router. I then took one of those game cube batteries that work inline with the gamecube's input of 12v. So 12v brick >> battery >> gamecube. Since both my router and the modem were 12v I just tied their inputs to the output from my battery in the hollowed out linksys box, then used a 12v power supply to power the battery assembly.

Never had any issues with that setup.

10. 2shae

2shae What's a Dremel?

yes 2 power outs a day is insane(You really dont want to know how many lightbulbs blow in a week), but i have to put up or shut up, i live on one of the highest hills in galway ireland so when the cables shake, they sometimes ground themselfs. ESB had to replace all the equipment in my house once though after they sent 210volts up the negative wire!

Im not getting a ups. cos if i get a ups i will end up putting it on my pc, but it has a 550w powersupply which requires a 300euro ups for 5 mins. i only want the router to have const power. my pc has 5 200gb hds on raid1(slow but effective)
    here are the pics of the power brick and router(also any custom firmware for this router?).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

A 550W PSU won't draw 550W all the time... (depending on the system tough)

12. 2shae

2shae What's a Dremel?

2 6600gts, amd 64 x2 5600, 4gb ram, 5 200gb hds, 3 dvd burners. i know it pulls in near total as ive blown one of these 550w powersupples once in my old house by leaving it on too long