1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: AMD's AM3+ CPUs delayed until September

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 31 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I thought they were supposed to delayed until July, now it's supposed to be September, bugger :(.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

My current upgrade plan is to drop a hex core into my AM2+ board and upgrade to an AM3+ board later on for SLI goodness and more PCI-E slots than my AM2+ board for folding. Tho price-performance of bulldozer would dictate weather I continue with upgrading this path or jump to Intel tho like my current situation and plan, a new chip works out cheaper for the performance boost over an entire platform jump.

4. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

why oh why is it so hard to bring bulldozer to market any advantage these chips had over intel in terms of performance will be lost by september. i'll wait for the 2nd generation just like the am3 processors of today the 2nd generation are far better than first.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Soooo; if this is true - the AM3+'s won't be released until LGA2011 really is just one or two months away.
    Meanwhile, we already know that they're only set to be on par with/compete against Sandybridge i5's?

Smells like failure?

TSB

Last edited: 31 May 2011
  6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

that is a real shame, if amd had released them now then they would sell a lot more chips than releasing them later just a few weeks before ivy bridge

7. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Hummmm this smacks of **** smearing.

But if its true = Sad Face : (

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Well damn. Can they at least show examples of the "Performance", to let us know, now, if it's worth waiting for the stable-overclockable variants.

I do like the fact they're going. "Okay... We have Non-overclockable ones. We -could- sell those, but lets work on the OC'able ones instead!"

Shows a bit of commitment there. Then again, part of Bulldozer's marketing was that they'll be "More Overclockable." than Sandy Bridge (I refuse to believe this till I have a 5Ghz Octo-core), but it's a nice touch.

9. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Why don't the release them as non-overclockable versions, at least it will be a launch. Then bring out the big guns with the Fx chips? I think most people will be happy (non-overclockers) with the out of box performance, if they're that good, which i hope they are :)

10. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

AMD need to get this chip, and the associated motherboards into the big box shifters like Dell, HP, etc who sell non-overclocked versions to the business masses. AMD must be watching revenue dry up in the OEM market. As regards us techies who want a overclockable, cheap, low power, low heat processor that can be unlocked to give more that we expected - either a time machine or an Intel platform...

11. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Sigh, and I remember fondly having the all-conquering AMD 2500 Barton CPU (I think the 2500k now holds that mantle)– so much better and cheaper than any equivalent Intel CPU. How the tables turn……

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Amd are screwed, they're going to end up competing with LGA2011 if this keeps up, I just fail to believe that bulldozer can be THAT much better than K-10 for them to have a successful comeback :-(

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'm neither a fanboy nor loyal to any CPU manufacturer. I always buy what's 'on top' at the time of upgrade. Having said that, I'm struggling to remember the last time I bought an AMD CPU. It was an Athlon 64 variant a long, long time ago - when they first released.

14. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

ROFL

So AMD have pointed fingers at the "flawed" original SandyBridge and hope to overtake it with a "flawed" CPU of their very own. Genius!

It worked for Intel because SB is flying out big time. Not too sure the same will happen to AMD though, unless they get that Version 2 out soon.

Looks like my next builds will be Intel again for the foreseeable future.

15. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I feel you may be confusing 'AMD' with 'people who use AMD products'. Also, AMD found out about the problem before they released their product.

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

So are these flawed chips Phenom's (AKA K8's ******* love child) or their new Bulldozer chips?

EDIT

Ah, just looked at your Computex Preview.
    So that won't affect the upcoming Bulldozer chip then.

17. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

dare I say I'm not a "fan boy" (not even sure what that is), but looking back I only seem to have bought AMD processors and graphic cards... just want there still be to a little guy...

18. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Interesting rumour, however this article does not allude to any source. The article is well written and contains many plausable reasons for why the release will be delayed, unfortunately the lack of any information regarding the source makes all the content completely unsubstatiated, potentially misleading and thus worthless.

I am not a propnent of this type of reporting and must insist certain standards of reporting before an article can be seen to be useful, it is particularly weak journalism to simply repeat rumours without naming or at least alluding to a source, it is a symptomatic flaw with mainstream UK journalism and I was slightly dissapointed to see it here, although the subject matter may seem comparatively trivial. We have a forum, surely this kind of rumour reporting should be confined to unofficial channels such as forum posts?

Chicken76 likes this.
  19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Good of them to hold off release to fix their product, but you have to wonder what sort of damage this delay could do.

20. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Not at all Bakes, AMD sniggered at Intel as well as their fan base.

Tags: Add Tags