1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Scout-A Robopocalypse inspired ID Cooling T-60 SFX[Completed Feb 21, 2016]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 3 Dec 2015.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Not sure how you pulled off that bend. Kudos. I would have put some solid rod in the pencil sharpener instead. :lol: I'm lazy.

Heads on spikes? That's how you get vulture poo everywhere. You thought scraping ice off your windshield was bad?

2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Light application of FIRE! Little bit of propane and a pair of pliers. It's my lazy route since I don't really have anything to easily work with solid rod. Though my original train of thought involved solid rod or even building a homemade furnace and casting my own spike. This was definitely easier, though not as cool.:D

3. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 2, 2016

I was going to wait to do this update til I was further along with this bit of the mod, but I think it turned out so effing cool that I have to share it.

First off, I took some 3/4" aluminum square tube and drew lines all over it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then went and had a talk with Mr. Bandsaw.
    [​IMG]

And we got our little hot dog sticker!
    [​IMG]

"Why do I need a hot dog sticker?" you might ask. Well, I don't. At least not right now. But with some application of fire and a set of pliers, we get a stake.
    [​IMG]

"Then why do you need a stake?" you might think. Well...I don't a stake. I need 6 of them.
    [​IMG]

If only aluminum worked on vampires, I'd be so ready! And now that I've got you all confused about hot dogs, stakes, and vampires, I'm gonna sneak in some more aluminum square tube bits.
    [​IMG]

And start putting the puzzle together and apply a whole lot more heat.
    [​IMG]

My girlfriend caught me trying to set things on fire. Check out the hair!
    [​IMG]

And then we wind up with a crazy stack of Christmas tree ornaments.
    [​IMG]

Or...
    [​IMG]

Yep, it's got legs now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still need to build the carriage to mount them in because that's where the PSU extension is going and possibly a few other things, but this is definitely headed in the direction I want.

--End Build Log--

4. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

That is bloody AWESOME!!! What a great (and very original) idea!!! :rock:

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! It was one of those ideas that seemed perfect and awesome if I could figure out how to pull it off.

6. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

You NAILED it man, and I mean NAILED it! That look goes PERFECTLY with the case! :rock:

7. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks again! It looked good in my head, but I think it might have turned out better in real life.

8. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 6 2016

Time to build the chassis to hole the legs, and maybe some other stuff, possibly.

The fun begins with some nice thick aluminum. I need something that's going to hold up when there's some weight in the case.
    [​IMG]

Before I got to far, I had to countersink some case screws to keep them from interfering.
    [​IMG]

Cut and mounted the first plate to the case using the original holes for the case feet.
    [​IMG]

After figuring out the spacing on the legs and how to fit them in with the two fans I want to mount in this section, I started piecing it together.
    [​IMG]

And then I mounted it to the case. The thing looks like a bug stuck on it's back. And every time I turned around, it stabbed me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The legs are adjustable as far as the angle is concerned. Only being able to have one mount point made that possible, but bothers me a little. I'd like to have an extra screw in there to make it more stout, but even with 92mm fans, there isn't much room left over for the legs.

I could have stopped here and it would look ok, but I want fans and all sorts of stuff down here, plus a bottom plate would clean it up a ton. Soo...
    [​IMG]

I left the bit after the bend long because that aluminum is thick and the bending isn't always precise and I also thought about maybe having it run up the case a bit as sort of a bumper. But after seeing it, not so much. So I cut her down!
    [​IMG]

Much better.
    [​IMG]

That extra plate adds some robustness to the structure and gives me some(very little) extra room for components, plus, I think it fits in really well. Next up is figuring how to shove 2 fans in there, which, btw, don't really fit , and getting the PSU plug down there somehow.

--End Build Log--

9. Cheapskate

OK, you just went mad scientist on us.:lol: You might as well have a jacketed gun barrel slung underneath now. -or a radar dish...;)

10. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

I keep meaning to get a lab coat for when I work!:D I wish I still had an old dish so I could get of pic with it on top of the case. Hahaha!

11. eucalyptus

eucalyptus I am 19 and Swedish!

Yeah, the ambition and skills behind this build is insane - top notch!

I am really excited to see more, wonderful to see something to "stand out" for once ;) Too many normal boxsquare cases in the project logs. This is truly modding on it's best side, love it! :)

12. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks!

13. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 8 2016

And this one goes out to all my fans!
    [​IMG]

So fan time for the bottom of the case! Cut a nice little hole in the leg addition to the case.
    [​IMG]

I marked out the screw holes, but decided to wait on them til I got a little further along. Two reasons for this, the screw holes in the fans are a bit squirrely and not exact corner to corner, and I'm not really sure how I'm going to mount them or what I'm going to mount them too.

Then I cut a passthrough in the bottom plate. I hadn't really thought about them being thicker than the legs, but noticed it in test fitting. Fans sticking out everywhere is starting to develop into a theme for this build, not that that is a totally bad thing. I see it as an opportunity to do cool things. Sorry Cheaps, no bottom mounted gun, I've got cooler things to do. Pun totally intended!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I'm mulling over my options. Leave them open, which is my lazy idea. Not horrible but it would be a bad design idea if this were a real robot designed to run through woods and rubble. It also leaves an opportunity sitting on the table, unrealized. Second option is a grill similar to the one on the top fans. Not bad, but I'm not looking forward to cutting that pattern again. It does carry on the visual elements of the case though, and I like to build that kind of thing in, so it's still an option. The third option, and the one I like the best, is a scoop. Something like the one on the side panel but facing forwards, like it's an air intake, which is actually what it would be. My only concern with this route is that by pulling air through a small intake, this case is going to start sounding like a jet engine, which it might with or without a scoop anyways. I haven't run the fans yet, but I don't expect them to be at Noctua sound levels. But really, no matter what it does to the sound profile, I think I'm going with a scoop. I'm not building this thing to sound cool. :lol:

--End Build Log--

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

EVIL... looking forward to more updates Dave!

15. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

It's a nice change up. You know, nice pretty case, then a case that you hope gives people nightmares. Thanks for the case and the chance to play with it!

16. Cheapskate

...and turn it into some kind of cat-eating machine.:worried:

17. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Not a problem around my house. The cat is old, mean, and wily. The chihuahua better watch out though!::lol:

18. Cheapskate

Not the chiuahua! Who will eat all the dead bugs in the house?!!?

19. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And bark at leaves blowing across the yard! :duh:

20. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 14, 2016

I got to working on finishing the fabrication of Scout. Let's start with the scoop on the bottom. It came out ok, but I'm not totally sold on it yet.

Epoxying the parts together this time. Not as strong as brazing them together, but it also doesn't tend to bow the panel either, so I'm giving it a go.
    [​IMG]

And mounted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something about it just hits me wrong. I'm gonna have to mull this choice over while I'm prepping for paint. Maybe I'll try a different intake angle, or shorten it's length, or just take it off completely. This one is just in the air for now.

With the scoop done and panels made for the back of the case to cover the fan hole and relocate the power plug, it was time for final assembly for before tearing it down for paint.

With the PSU in, the cut out for the cable is perfect.
    [​IMG]

And that routes to the new back panel cover.
    [​IMG]

Top fans, side panel, and SSD's with their cover mock-ups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is exactly why I'm assembling this before paint. Found a hole that needs to be cut.
    [​IMG]

Everything but the cooler installed.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the cooler blocks access to everything so it has to be last, which is fun because of the legs jutting out the side. I rigged up some boxes to allow room for the legs, and luckily, Scythe included the perfect screwdriver for installing the cooler.
    [​IMG]

And with the cooler.
    [​IMG]

It's actually kind of spacious with a ton of room under the cooler, so there's plenty of room for the wiring, just no room for hands.
    [​IMG]

And everything but the side panel together before it goes into paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for body filler and paint fumes!

--End Build Log--