1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony working on PSP phone?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Why even bother....

The PSPgo is gonna be a big slice of fail cake

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

find someone that is stupid enough to get a PSPgo then you have 50% of your idoits who want a PSPphone.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Sony, no.

Just no.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If they are, the sales of PSPgo ought to put the kybosh on any R&D/development plans for a phone version.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

They should have made the PSP Go a phone.

7. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Pretty much this.

It's almost as if Sony are trying to kill their portable device division entirely.

8. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

i want one. phone and ps1 games all in one? sign me up :)

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just to kick start the rumour mill - Whats to say that the Sony Cartman PSP Go isn't the PSP phone... it'd be one hellova bomb shell to drop just before release...

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes they should of seems like such a missed opportunity, people bang on about how good the iphone is for gaming but it nowhere near as good as the current crop of handhelds, Sony could have bundled typically phone hardware and good gaming all in one device.

I was quite disappointed when the pspgo wasn't this. Sony wouldn't of even had to worry about price so much then as it could of been subsidised by operators like most phones are. Operators don't care where you buy your games from either as you'd likely use there bandwidth or at the very least be tied into a data deal with this sort of phone whereas traditional retail outlets don't like the go as they don't get the sales.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2009
  11. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Please not PSPgo, but i would get one if it was a bit thinner and shorter than the original, with a slide down keyboard and OLED screen. Would have to look good and still play games will :)

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

there was a PSP Phone concept with the very first PSP but it was expected to only be sold in Japan, huh would be interesting, also incorporate a touch screen and you have everything you need in a PSP

13. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

sony in 4 years too late shocker.

14. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

QFT

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I dunno, maybe.. whats wack is, we were trying to upgrade our phones the other day, if you get something like the iphone it costs an extra 20 bucks (over the normal 30) to get the web,text, unlimited video than if you own a cheap phone.. I dunno why the extra charge other than they have to pay apple some steve jobs cancer funding

16. Goty

Goty Minimodder

They usually force you to buy an unlimited data plan on top of your normal service plan, and THEN you have to buy messaging, etc.

17. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I reckon they would do better if they did something similar to Nokia's N-Gage - the original hardware was rubbish but now it is just a brand for delivering games. Create some phones with better game-ability than normal - but still essentially a phone - stick a PSP sticker on it and create a good mobile version of PSN/App Store

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I think the PSP Go will be the phone. If so that would explain the ridiculously high price.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Anyone ever wonder why texting costs so much more than phone calls?

I mean it's less data transfer than a single phone call(about 1000x more IIRC), I guess the EU are too busy striking down Microsoft and not caring about the oligopoly on messaging.

20. bagman

bagman Minimodder

well this is just to battle apple they are doing very well on that front with the modes as almost everything they make to challenge apple the sony product is usally much better they just have a markating problem they never advatice there new products on the tv or tell anyone how much better they are to it's rivals, i wouldn'y mind having a psp phone as long as they include walkman in it as i was disapointed they didn't with the psp as the music sound quality is far more supriour then any other mp3 player

Tags: Add Tags