1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sony's PlayStation Network generated more revenue than all of Nintendo last year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 28 Apr 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

2. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

The shift from buying retail to digital helps as well. Sony's margins are probably much better on digital sales.

3. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I imagine so, PSN's prices are really steep on digital.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

You have to pay £40 a year to play online!

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

True, but I often wonder how many people actually look at a game on PSN at £50-60 and actually buy, when a 10 second search reveals the same game in physical format online for £25-30 for delivery in a day. Cost reductions usually put them back in the competitive space and are pretty frequent, at least - I opt for digital all else being equal.

Exchange of currency for services? WHERE WILL THE MADNESS END?!

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Around £3.33 per month is an okay price for a fairly well maintained online gaming service, plus you get a couple of freebie games each month with a few of them being quite decent... on top of that you get further discounts on some of the sale items which is always a nice bonus.

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I was a little annoyed at first, paying to play online. Fast forward a year later and I now actually think Playstation+ is pretty reasonable. Some months there can be 4-5 free games, one of the more memorable games was Rocket League! thanks very much!

8. rollo

rollo Modder

£40 a year is less than the cost of the internet connection lol. Its less than I spend on lunch going to work in a week come to think of it.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Wii will never repeat itself. Somehow Nintendo hit into a fashion trend that got people who neither play nor understand videogames suddenly felt they had to have a Wii.

I've seen so many Wiis sat next to TVs in houses that nobody games in, they look at it the sameway most look at a toaster. Games Console? No thanks already got one.

It is a bit strange to think that Nintendo would probably consider a Gamecube matching level of sales on the NX to be a huge improvement over what they have now.

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I guess us PC gamers really are spoilet!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And people wonder why Sony (Entertainment?) CEO said "we might not have a PS5" - service is the money generator. Develop a thin-client or bundle in TVs, go cloud-based gaming (they own Gaikai) and get paid $$$. Suddenly $400 entry fee is $30 (or free with TVs/phones) + $10/mo. The total potential market just amplified.

Disposable income now goes into phones. Plus those Teen/20/30-somethings who bought the Wii are now 10 years older (half a generation) older. Their needs and $ use has changed. Nintendo urgently needs to introduce a new young generation to Pokemon et. al or it'll miss out. But if they increasingly don't care to buy non-convergent devices, it's a downward trend.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Apr 2016
Tags: Add Tags