1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News STALKER 2 will be multiplatform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

And the slide down towards console mediocrity continues...................

Seriously....a DX9 based Stalker game in 2012....just how far do those fisher price toys the Ps3 and 360 want to retard the development of everything they touch.

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Yay more console ports.

Also, I seriously doubt the game will attract the typical console crowd.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Woohooo :)

5. Evildead666

New Engine, probably totally DX11.
    Call of pripyat had DX11 extensions.
    Shwadow of Chernobyl had DX10/10.1.

6. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Just a quick comment, under the 'latest new' tab this shows as "STALKER 2 will be multiplatform
    2010 release expected." but in the article it states 2012. Thought that was a pretty quick turn around when I glanced at the story!
    I loved all three STALKER games, even Clear Sky (after it was patched of course) so I'm keen to see how this one turns out. I could see the multiplatform thing dumbing it down a little but you never know, I'll keep an open mind.

7. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

i dont like the stalker series enough to see it use the GTA method of naming sequels

8. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Got high hopes for this. Gameplay wise they've got progressively better with each iteration. Clear Sky was a bit of a damp squib, but CoP made up for it in spades. STALKER takes a place as one of my top 10 games so this'll be a day one purchase for me, just have to wait out the next two years.

9. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but you did notice it'll be multiplatform? Meaning it'll most probably be dumbed down DX9 crap with some DX11 gimmicks shoddily glued on top to PC port, if they're feeling exceptionally generous.

10. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

...and of course this will lead to a release so horrifically bugged, that no one will want to play it until it is patched, if ever, with patch sizes exceeding 1Gb.

You know what, I just can't care any less for the Stalker games any more.

11. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Need to fix the date on the front page guys.. You had my hopes up that it would be out this year!

Love the Stalker series and just finished COP last night, though I thought Pripyat and the ending were a bit disappointing. Still, I'll probably play through it again in a few months when the mods are mature - they really do make the game better than anything else.

With regards to it being multiplatform, isn't DX11 supposed to be able to scale down? Like, if you have a DX10 card a DX11 engine will only use DX10 features and for DX9 consoles you'll only get DX9 features. Not sure how that works with tessalation and the LOD stuff, mind.

I can't see GSC turning their back on PC hardware enthusiats, especially with us being their main market so far. Hopefully it will be a PC port for consoles rather than the usual tripe.

12. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

As long as they maintain atmosphere and challenges of the zone I'm fine with multiplatform release. That means instadeath for every major f**k up. I just don't like when hardcore PC game gets crippled to a level when any kiddo and grandma can finish it on the hardest difficulty...

As for graphics - why do you even complain??? The game looks amazing even on med-high settings! Would "DX11 only" sticker make it look any better? Not to mention that Call Of Pripyat was one of the first games which use DX11. It's not graphics quality we(PC gamers) should worry about...

13. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK Lost in Time and Space

Regenerating health, universal ammo, no weight-limit, jump-to-cover button and a romance subplot anyone?

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
    nemo likes this.
  14. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

No other platform will put up with a half finished / bug ridden game even if they can patch it on a console these days. PC gamers will lose intrest in a dumbed down console port as well.
    Result no one will buy it :(
    They realy will have there work cut out to make this work for them and us.

15. Evildead666

Lets just hope they won't give up on the PC crowd.
    They would have to have a DX9 fallback path for the older cards (and consoles), or at least fallback to DX10.

Stalker 2 would basically be their Posterchild for their Engine, the way Crysis was for CryEngine.

16. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

It's a bit worrying that it'll be multiplatform but at least the PC version will still look the prettiest.

BTW Joe, sorry to sound rude, but do you even read back what you write before posting?

*titled as simple STALKER 2
    *though GSC has nailed down anything
    *though is has confirmed

17. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

its funny, i really enjoyed clear sky. and cop, and soc.

yeah, multiplatform doesnt sound good.

18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This is actually hilarious. Games of STALKER's calibre (and by that I mean some of the most horribly bugged and badly-released games of recent years) would never have made it near consoles ten years ago, but in this day and age of Xbox Live and PSN they know they can release bugged titles on consoles and patch them later.

Just as PC gamers have to suffer through the dumbing-down of our favourite titles for the perceived lower common denominator of the console gamer, console gamers now have to put up with the scourge of pc gaming - buggy releases.

Have fun with that, GSC - I won't be buying.

19. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I love how most people are ignoring the actual quality of the previous games in favour of attacking perceived faults which don't even exist any more. Not to mention rampant speculation on the new game without any info other than a release date.

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'll hold of judging until release but they have their work cut out if they want to release on all platforms without loads of bugs.

Tags: Add Tags